PDA

View Full Version : Attention Boston area people

inic
06-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Every Sat morning, myself and a couple others (hopefully more and more) are getting together and sparring with weapons. Wearing protective gear of course, and the main purpose is to compare "styles". I personally study mostly european sword fighting and the other 2 guys so far study Japanese. It's a definite learning experience fighting someone from a completely different style. I'm used to having my blade met mid swing, instead of hitting nothing. The other 2 guys had no idea how to deal with my shield. It's a great learning experience and you clearly see the pros/cons of each style. I tried doing rapier fencing vs their kendo, but they have a huge advantage with the 2 hand grip. A rapier can't really take the hit from a bokken/shinai. Still gonna keep trying. I might throw in a 2nd shorter sword with the rapier. It's just hard fighting a cutting sword with a thrusting one.

But anyways, if anyone else is interested, please feel free to join in. Basic protection gear to bring is helmet, cup, gloves. No "live" blades being used. Well, except rapiers, but they are dull and tipped with rubber.

So far, its 1 guy doing just kendo. another guy doing some kendo and chinese stuff. I do fencing, iaido and british/germanic swordmanship.
We meet at the "half-shell" on the charles river. Sat mornings, usually 9am. can email me if you want in: inicolaas@yahoo.com

Shaolin Dude
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
too early and I like sparring/fighting instead

Dark Knight
06-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Check out what the Dog Brothers are doing. They do full contact stick fighting and will fight anyone with any short range weapon, pretty much what you are talking about.

Look at their site, some pretty bad bruises :)

inic
06-22-2004, 08:19 AM
What is the site addy?

And we do some sparring while fencing. Well, I do anyway since I do western style.

Dark Knight
06-22-2004, 08:31 AM
http://www.dogbrothers.com/

http://dogbrothers.com/albums/GOP1102/Dsc00194_001.jpg

http://dogbrothers.com/albums/GOP1102/Dsc00201_001.jpg

http://dogbrothers.com/albums/GOP1102/Dsc00253.jpg

Dark Knight
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Remember that you may fight with weapons other than a stick if you can find someone willing to go against you. Please consider stick and knife (aluminum blades OK with us) fights, staff fights, and anything else. In order to more deeply explore certain variables, fighters may agree to "no grappling" rules. In staff fights, the fighters may wear wrestling type ear guards under the fencing masks.

"Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact"

inic
06-22-2004, 09:10 AM
They arent in the boston area though, right?
I noticed they where forearm guards. good idea. I wear shin guards, but nothing for the forearms. the only non wood weapons being used with us is rapier, saber, epee and fencing daggers. They're perfectly safe though.

Dark Knight
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
They are on the west coast, but they have had a following for a long time. Ill bet there are people doing it in the Boston area. Check other boards, look for stick fighting boards you may find some.

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2004, 09:57 AM
too early. plus my sats are booked for working.

inic
06-22-2004, 12:07 PM
too early? lol, 9am?
We just got someone guy on that saying he's been studying "ninjitsu" for many years. This just makes me groan with annoyance. ashida kim anyone?
I rarely talk smack, but can't wait to put the smackdown on this guy and his "ninjitsu". I hope it tries to ninja chope my shield.

norther practitioner
06-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Way to keep an open mind.

inic
06-22-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm totally open. But I must have met over 20 people who claim to study ninjitsu for many years and were all yappies. I really do hope this guy is the real deal cause it be great to learn about and see for real. But I'll remain sceptical until I see it

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by inic
I'm totally open. But I must have met over 20 people who claim to study ninjitsu for many years and were all yappies. I really do hope this guy is the real deal cause it be great to learn about and see for real. But I'll remain sceptical until I see it

I live in springfield area man, thats an hour to hour and a half away. i like to sleep in one day a week.

Shaolin Dude
06-22-2004, 09:57 PM
shaolinlueb do you post in asianxo.com?

inic
06-26-2004, 03:51 PM
We fenced today and quite a lot of fun. although I'm miffed that the kendo guy dented my shield and broke my **** sword. He had a really nice, high quality bokken. I had a cheap quality 1 hand broadsword. shoulda saw it coming.

and the "ninjitsu" guy turned out to be exactly as I expected..... YUPPPPPIIIIEEEEE

inic
07-01-2004, 07:09 PM
cough
any others wanna join?

Shaolinlueb
07-01-2004, 08:09 PM
eh if i can get a sat off, i might swing out one sat. my sparring needs a lot of work.

Ford Prefect
07-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Wow. Kind of weird you'd pop up with this right now. I'm getting back into the swing of things with some FMA/JKD and fencing in a few weeks. I'd likely join you guys in the fall. It's early, but at least that's only about 20 minutes from my appartment.