PDA

View Full Version : Excessive sweating

Ruah Boxer
06-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I was just wondering about hyperhidrosis and what alternative Chinese medicine has done or would think about the subject. I know western medicine has some pretty drastic things to combat it like removal of sweat glands through liposuction and the use of botox which reduces sweating on the area.

looking_up
06-22-2004, 07:17 AM
I'm no expert, but it could be some sort of yin deficiency. Do a google search on that and see what you find.

herb ox
06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
The origins of hyperhydrosis (esp. from a Occidental medicine viewpoint) are diverse, and can include endocrine function and psychological factors, so trying to understand the underlying factors is a crucial first step. Also, when does the sweating occur most... during exercise, early morning hours, after dinner, when you go to bed? Is it limited to the hands and feet or is it the whole body?

TCM treament of Hyperhydrosis appears to be a well documented and frequently treated complaint. There are several acupuncture points specifically used to treat this issue - it also appears the heart and pericardium meridians play an important role in treatment.

As for herbs, the main one I know of offhand is Astragalus root (Huang Qi) - used for colds and excessive sweating, it promotes urination and reduces edema as well.

Good luck
herb ox