PDA

View Full Version : Training after finding out you're injured for life.

rogue
06-21-2004, 08:34 PM
I know some here have had to face this, so what have you done? Change styles, work around the permanant injuries, quit or something else?

BM2
06-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I quit for nine years. Couldn't do it correct and thought what's the use in even doing it anymore then. Tore a disc in the lumbar region and couldn't rotate my hips in my round house. Tore a groin muscle and couldn't kick above my waist. The back injury caused my knee problem too.
A physical therapist helped me to help myself. The easiest thing to do was to tear away the scar tissue in my thigh. My back is always going to give me trouble but the three epidurals and almost three years of P.T. has me ........well at least I can do most.
Now what I really hate most of all. That I quit working out for nine years. What an ego I had.

TenTigers
06-21-2004, 10:27 PM
I have lower disk problems. which periodically give rise to sciatica, had a separated shoulder for six months which bothered me, my meniscus tore doing a warm-up for a lion dance before the Dalai Lama-did the dance anyway, broke more bones than I can count,none of my rings fit, 'cause my knuckles are broken, this is what I do. I am a martial artist. So what? So what if it take a few minutes just to get out of bed in the morning? Bottom line-there are people going to all sorts of doctors getting all sorts of medication, for getting through what I call standard operating procedure. My mild discomfort is their agony. I will survive. I will do this every day. Pain is all in the mind. I am alive. Deal with it. Otherwise go join United, pr Villari, or Mc Kwoon...so...your point is?....

Jet Johnson
06-22-2004, 10:55 AM
The problem with continuing to train the same way with multiple or chronic injuries is that you're looking at being a crippled old man. I'm very sorry, but there's no way I'm going to be walking around with a cane and hooked on painkillers when I'm 70. Some may find that brave; I find it plain dumb.
When I found out I had crushed the cartilage under my knee, I was faced with a simple choice: put on metal knee braces and pop a few pain killers before training, or quit and adapt my kung fu practice. I decided for the latter (reluctantly, I might add). I adapted my practice by emphasizing some aspects of training and de-emphasing others. Now, I may not be able to hold the "10 mn Ma Bu" anymore, but my kicks have never been so fast and powerful. And if you think it's wrong to adapt a style, think about how most kung fu styles were born.

Adaptation, adaptation...

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2004, 11:06 AM
my knee's are bad. i jsut slap some braces on em when I push it too far. I just condition them easily, and they have been getting better. my hip flexors i get stabbing pains in if i try to lift them higher than waiste height. i have been working on strengthening them and its working slowly.

as if i had like a real injury, watch return of the 5 deadly venoms. :D