PDA

View Full Version : ways to train outside kung fu

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
What do some of you guys do? I love kung fu but i dont have enough time to practice. Sometimes I sit in Mabu or Gongbu while im at the computer doing work to try and train my stances.

anyone else on some creative ways to train outside the kwoon?

Meat Shake
06-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Go to the gym
Form work
Heavy bag work
Fighting with people outside of class
Stance work
Focus mitts
Jump Rope or any other intense cardio vascular workouts....
Lots of things to do.
:)

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Go to the gym
Form work
Heavy bag work
Fighting with people outside of class
Stance work
Focus mitts
Jump Rope or any other intense cardio vascular workouts....
Lots of things to do.

im talking about odd times that you dont set away for training. like you're booked all day and you cant get to the gym or hit the bag, how would you work a workout into it.

norther practitioner
06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
I always work in some calf raises whenever I go up stairs. Or I'll do half calf raises, half quad stairs (not moving your calves and just trying to use your quads). I'll shut my office door and do some crunches and pushups.

Oso
06-22-2004, 12:42 PM
if you do physical work it's easy...just focus more on what you are doing and MAKE it a workout

Swing the hammer a couple hundred times w/o taking a break.

Unload the truck full of 80 lb bags of concrete as fast as you can.

Make everything an effort and continuously try to beat your last record.

Helps if you're OC......

Becca
06-22-2004, 02:46 PM
One of my more creative techniques- I ten-key alot at work, about 5-6 hours a day. I make a point of hitting the keys has hard as I can while going as fast as I can and not have errors. I also scoot my keyboard over and use my left hand as well as my right. End result... Every hand technique I know has gained in controll and strength. My coordination is out of this world.

How do I know this? Try a speer hand drill to a phone book once a week while working your typing skills the way I've described. It only took me about two weeks to see very noticeable improovement.

Dark Knight
06-23-2004, 03:53 AM
I run 4 times a week, on Sundays I do a 25 mile bike ride. These take no extra time to fit in, just put on your shoes and go.

Frank Shamrock once said his best technique was his conditioning.

WanderingMonk
06-23-2004, 07:18 AM
get stuff that work your grip strength or finger strength.

I remember one of my high school classmate (who don't do MA), but during class, he would be squeezing his grip machine. He did this everyday and didn't make enough noise for the teacher to notice.

He has a strong grip as the result. If you use tiger claws in your system, it might not be a bad idea. do try it out at home first to see if it make noises. wouldn't want to be caught to be doing that in a meeting at work.

wdl
06-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Shaolinlueb, get out of bed a half hour earlier each morning and make some time outside of class. Even though it's only half an hour... 4-5 days a week it will help.

-Will

Becca
06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
wdl- That may sound good at first glance, but some people are luck to get a solid 5 hours of sleep. If I get up 1/2 hour early I will be wipped the rest of the day. One of the best things you can do for your training is to be well rested...

Meat Shake
06-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Squat in horse stance while doing anything on the computer.
Open and close your hand from a fist to all the way open as fast as you can for as long as you can.
Do static contraction excersises while sitting at your desk - flex a muscle and hold it until you are about to break a sweat... or if you dont care about being sweaty at work, keep holding it.

wdl
06-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Becca
wdl- That may sound good at first glance, but some people are luck to get a solid 5 hours of sleep. If I get up 1/2 hour early I will be wipped the rest of the day. One of the best things you can do for your training is to be well rested...

That is quite true. Personally I can't live on 5 hours sleep, I have to have atleast 8. So I can understand the issue. However, should your time allow, you can go to bed a half an hour early. :)

Besides, if I work out in the morning(and I'm by no means a morning person, I HATE mornings) I feel less pain.

-Will

IronFist
06-23-2004, 07:51 PM
What is "ten-key?"

Shaolinlueb
06-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by wdl

That is quite true. Personally I can't live on 5 hours sleep, I have to have atleast 8. So I can understand the issue. However, should your time allow, you can go to bed a half an hour early. :)

Besides, if I work out in the morning(and I'm by no means a morning person, I HATE mornings) I feel less pain.

-Will

im a bum i need like 9-10 hours lol to feel fine. on 7 hours i will be killed for the day. but on 3/4 i am wired. but i cant do the 3/4 too much or else i get sick :( I try making time in the morning, but morning training never goes well for me.

WanderingMonk
06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
On second thought, just activate your "mighty mouse gene"

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996065

Becca
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
What is "ten-key?"

Ten-keying is a term used to describe useing the numeric keypad on the rightside of your keyboard to do data entry. A good clerk can type 4-5,000 keystrokes per hour. I've hered that some are much faster than that, though.

wdl
06-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb

im a bum i need like 9-10 hours lol to feel fine. on 7 hours i will be killed for the day. but on 3/4 i am wired. but i cant do the 3/4 too much or else i get sick :( I try making time in the morning, but morning training never goes well for me.

I know exactly what you mean man. Especially with the sleep patterns, that's about how I am. I feel horrid if I do the 3 to 4 hour thing too often. Otherwise, 8 hours is a minimum. Getting up and working out in the morning takes more discipline than ANYTHING else I do. I have to MAKE myself do it. It's worth it for me though.

-Will

norther practitioner
06-24-2004, 11:27 AM
I need like 8.5-9 hours a night, but unfortunately, I've been avging about 6-7...

Takes me half the day to "wake up" when I only get that many hours.

Shaolinlueb
06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
I need like 8.5-9 hours a night, but unfortunately, I've been avging about 6-7...

Takes me half the day to "wake up" when I only get that many hours.

same here, sometimes i dont wake up until 6pm when class starts then to try to fall asleep at 10/11 again, it aint happening.