PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Cottrell

YinYangDagger
06-22-2004, 08:12 PM
What's the origin of the two-handed sword form you teach? Is it Tang Lang? Any chance of it being from Master Yu Cheng Hui? Just curious...

MantisifuFW
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
YYD,

Sorry for the delay in answering but I am swamped!!

The method of the Da Dao I teach has been in our family for over a hundred years as I can tell. It was taught by Master Luo Guangyu and passed to Master Wong Hon-Fun who taught the method to his students. Where Master Luo gained the method, (I would assume Master Fan but I would be truly guessing), I cannot say with certainty. It is something I hope to investigate the next time I go to China.

As for the method being Tanglang, indeed it is as much as any weapon in the inventory. The Hong Kong branch of Tanglang teaches this weapon, used it during WWII and maintains both form and technique today.

In the North of China, I understand that they used the Two Handed Jian in the place of the Da Dao but I have no photograpic or documentary evidence to substantiate it. I was told of it during my interviews with masters in that area of China.

Hope this helps. If I may be of other assistance please do not hesistate to ask.

Steve Cottrell

YinYangDagger
06-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Sifu Cottrell - Thanks for the informative reply.

Hopefully I can get up there to train with your group someday. Again, thanks.

MantisifuFW
06-23-2004, 05:02 PM
YYD,

You are more than welcome!

During the week, Tues and Thurs beginning at 7:00pm and Friday same time, Sat 10:00am.

Steve Cottrell