PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what kind of bug this is?

IronFist
06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I was sitting on my family room floor talking to my friend when I see this huge ant looking thing crawling toward me. I was like "wtf!!!" and caught it in a cup. I took a pic with my camera, but it's not good quality and I don't have the cable to transfer it to my computer.

Ok, so it is shaped just like an ant, except it was as long as a quarter and as thick as like half a pencil. I've been trying to research online to find out what this is, but I can't find anything. I read about carpenter ants online, but it says they only get up to 3/8" and that's like the biggest ant I can find online.

It was dark reddish brown in color. You know how when they magnify pictures of ants you can see their jaws and everything? Well you could see this guy's jaw with the naked eye cuz he was so big he didn't need to be magnified.

So he looked kind of like this guy, but he was about an inch long:

click (http://www.biokids.umich.edu/resources/entomology_unl_edu/carpant_queen_brood3.jpg/medium.jpg)

So I'm freaking out cuz I just thought what if it was a queen ant or something? That means there'd be like a nest in my apartment. **** that would suck!

Chang Style Novice
06-22-2004, 08:36 PM
That's a CIA bug. You might want to search your phones as well.

macaulay
06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Thats huge! Call a pest control company. Good luck.

joedoe
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Microsoft have announced that they will soon be releasing a service pack to address that bug.

Starchaser107
06-22-2004, 10:45 PM
looks like an ant to me.
a very large one albeit

Meat Shake
06-22-2004, 11:27 PM
"So I'm freaking out cuz I just thought what if it was a queen ant or something?"

If it was a queen ant it would have a big maggot looking baby maker hanging off its upper abdomen...
And it would be about 10 times the size of the one you found.
Other than that, I cant really help.
:p

Toby
06-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Did it crawl towards you from your friend's direction? Maybe he's got a really bad case of crabs ...

Goldenmane
06-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Sounds not unlike a type of bullant. They grow bigger than an inch long. Darned difficult to kill, too.

The bullants around here are red, though, rather than black. There are some in Tasmania (more commonly referred to, I think, as bulldog ants or jumping jacks) that are black... anyway, ants an inch long aren't complete freaks of nature or anything.

Nasty bastids to be bitten by, too.

cerebus
06-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Maybe you just live near a nuclear waste dump. :eek:

Vash
06-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Sounds like a bull ant. Probably wasn't a queen ant, though. I'm not sure whether they go outside the nest if the nest is still viable.

PHILBERT
06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Sounds like a bull ant. Probably wasn't a queen ant, though. I'm not sure whether they go outside the nest if the nest is still viable.

Vash, no they usually don't cause if the queen ant dies, the nest dies.