PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut Dragon Fan Book Help

5thBrother
06-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi.

many years ago i brought the book via mail order on dragon fan and fundamental fist form. At the time i was disappointed that no applications of the fan was shown even though it was said the book contain "applications of the fan form" ...

now recently i have seen the other books in the series one of staff and one of spear .. they are in the same format and what struck me is that both books have the applications of the form on a SEPERATE and LOOSE fold out page. This has made me think thank unfortunately the book i got on fan's application pages were lost / not inserted in the first place...

So im kindly ask:

1. can anyone confirm that there IS application pages.

2. could some one kindly scan and email me the 4 pages which it would be.

if they are similar format to the staff and spear book they arent exactly comprehensive etc but i would like to see.

thank you for your consideration

5thBro

Eddie
06-23-2004, 04:31 AM
there are application for the fan book. I might have one loose somewhere, but why dont you call the lee koon hung association and ask them to send you one. They have that same form on video, and master Li Siu Hung (brother of Lee Koon Hung) does the form in the videos.

call Joe on 954 730 3688 or visit www.leekoonhungkungfu.com
Ed

CLFNole
06-23-2004, 08:33 AM
The slip in pages may be around however I think most were lost or are still in Hong Kong. I think I have the one for the fan I'll check for you and get back to you later.

The main point of this form (case you haven't figured it out) is attacking of the pressure points. That is why the fan isn't opened too much in the form. The fan is kept closed and attacks various pressure points in the same manner as CLF's chop choys: yum chop, yeung chop, chueng ahn choy & chin si choy.

You can't expect miracles from a book. Real life instruction is the key for other styles that one might not practice.

Peace.

Eddie
06-23-2004, 11:12 AM
CLFNole,
do you know what the other fan form is called?
I have a video of Master Yuen Hong Chow doing a fan form, and I was hoping to add them to our website. I e-mailed master Yuen to get permission, but still did not get a reply yet. It starts similar to the feiloong sin, but the form is very different.

Send me a e-mail, I can make you a copy of some old footage I have. I did send some to Master Li. It was taken by my old sifu in hong kong in 87 / 88. It has some of LKH's strudents performing forms and sets. I then also haver stuff from Master Yuen and Grandmaster Lee which was taken in SA.
Ed

CLFNole
06-23-2004, 12:00 PM
As far as I know we only have Fei Loong Sin, however the book way is slightly different from the way I learned. The one I know has more sei ping ma's and less gong ma's. The one I know is an older version of the form.

There are other CLF fan sets so possibly he could have picked it up from another sifu.

I will PM you my email address. Thanks

Peace.

Eddie
06-24-2004, 12:43 AM
I know feiloong sin is different from the book. I learned that form pretty early on in my days with Sifu Morne. The version we learned is even slightly more different from the one in Master Li's videos, but its nothing very majors.

I got your pm, so I will e-mail you soon.

You are right, it might be another fan form from another style, but he does it with (as you said before) Lee Koon Hung flair.
Ciao
Eduann

Feng
06-24-2004, 02:17 AM
As far as i know there are a couple of fan forms.

Suei Sau Sin - hand breaking fan
Fei Lung Sin - flying dragon fan
Gum Lung Sin - golden dragon fan
Fei Fung Sin - flying phoenix fan

Although i don't know exactly what the difference is between the forms. If i remember correctly the hand braking fan was more with open fan smashing the wrists of the opponent (i might be wrong though):confused:

5thBrother
06-25-2004, 01:00 AM
thanks eddie and CLFNole

if u find it and if possibly u could scan it for me please let me know and i muchly would appreciate it.

5thBro

iron_silk
06-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi there!

I also bought all three staff, spear, and dragon fan but found only the application for the spear. When I asked the store owner he said that for some reason only the spear had application and when the he contacted the Lee Family who own the rights they said they don't have the applications and that they don't plan to print anymore.

Since you guys seem to have at least the staff and possibly the fan....does that mean I just got fooled by the store owner?

Could I also get the scan copies of the staff and fan application as well?

Thank you soooo much!

Eddie
06-29-2004, 12:49 AM
I had the applications to the spear and the fan forms, but Im not to sure where they are. I will look for them this weekend. and then I will e-mail it to you if I can. PM me your e-mail. Im not to sure about the legalities of this, as I wouldnt want to do anything that can get me into trouble with our Association.
Ed

5thBrother
06-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi.

thanks im just about to PM you.

i can also verify via web cam that i actually have the book.. ie. i just want what i paid for and should of been in the book. I am in australia so email scan is best.

CLFNole:

i believe u might know... though probably not.. but just PURE "curiousty" ... why were the apps done as "slot in leaflet" rather than just sampled in as "pages of the book"

CLFNole
06-29-2004, 08:12 AM
The inserts haven't been in the books for years. You pay for the form in a book and at around 10 bucks is cheap so one should not complain about an insert missing.

All of the books were put together with the help of students from the Hong Kong University, where sifu taught at in addition to his school. He taught at a universities, middle schools, etc...

To the best of my knowledge they were done after the fact but with close time proximity.

Sifu's family was not involved much with his kung fu activities and they don't know anything about the book's history, etc..

I know that none are being printed anymore (the inserts). There could be some left in HK but I don't think so. I will see my uncle tonight and ask him.

Peace.

5thBrother
06-29-2004, 11:46 PM
clfNole

hi. thanks for the info..

was wondering if it was an post production thought to do some apps and thus loose inserts or if it was a produuction error and so had to but them in loose inserts. as i said just curious.

packing and shipping loose insert booklets and having them survuving to places like australia cannot be easy also.

and so no mistake .. my comment about i can proove i brought the book above was to show i was not trying to get rip anyone off .. if that makes sense O_o .. rereading now my wording might seem very negative towards the book which was not the meaning.

thanks again :)

take care all

CLFNole
06-30-2004, 07:23 AM
5thBrother:

No problem. Everyone I know of sells just the books with the forms and no insert pages. Even the books ordered through the school contain no inserts.

If you can get them they are rare, however the techiques are nothing you can't figure out if you have an understanding of the form. They are nice to look at if.

Peace.

Eddie
06-30-2004, 10:33 AM
ironsilk and 5th brother,
im just waiting reply from the lkh association to find out if i would get in trouble if i scan and send you the application pages. I checked, I only have the fan and the spear's pages. I have never had the staff's page. But as CLFNole said, they are pretty simple to figure out. It is nice to have it though.

I will let you both know once I get some kind of feedback. I am a member of the LKH Association and I feel it is just right for me to check first. Im sure you both understand. Loyalty is always important and comes first.
Eduann

5thBrother
07-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi. Eddie thanks. understandable your concerns and wish to abide by your associaion.

as i've seen in the shop with the staff and spear book's inserts, they arent "rocket science" .. so yes like cflnole said they are a few fundemtal applications of the form motions. its more a wanting to see them and completeness etc.. so please dont go to too much trouble and i understand if its not possible :)

i apprectiate your effort and kindness.

thanks guys.

Eddie
07-02-2004, 04:15 AM
no problem. If all is ok, i will scan it this weekend, and maybe post it on a seperate page on our wesite where you can download it. doubt my e-mail can send big files quick enough. We still on stupid dialup here, and our telephone lines are very slow.

will let you know soon.
Ed

iron_silk
07-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the effort Eddie and I totally respect and agree with the whole legality issue.

I feel the same way as 5th Brother about the whole completeness thing.

I bought the stuff over a decade ago and believed what the store owner told me (so that's all I really knew). It was no big deal (it wasn't $10 but it was still cool) that's why I didn't mention anything.

But it was never about the money. Even if it was sold just the form I think I would have bought it. Yet knowing there could be applications out there a part of me would be curious and would have love to see more of Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung doing what he did best.

So thank you and if it's possible for the application to be posted I completely understand. (Especially since I came out of no where and latched onto 5th Brother's post here...sorry man)

Also thank you for giving me a reason to post. I don't think I have posted anything in a long time.

Cheers

5thBrother
07-04-2004, 01:30 AM
i am a big fan of Master Lee Koon Hung although i am not of CLF clan. I did do about 9 months at uni long ago but the school closed and i we didnt learn much "material" wise of the system BUT learnt heaps regarding drilling a few techniques for skill and some principles and concepts of clf if u know what i mean .. "better to learn 1 in detail then 100 sloppy" type thing..

so to my point!!

is the a webpage to his hong king school if it is still open (i know he sadly passed away) and / or a few major links connected to him that may of escaped my about to google search on this quiet sunday :)

thanks!

5thbro

Eddie
07-05-2004, 01:17 AM
5th brother,
you can visit the association's webpage to get links to other LKH CLF schools around the world.
There are also a few others which might not be listed, and I think CLFNOLE is the better person to know about all the little detail around all of these schools:

Lee Koon Hung Association schools
http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/home.html

Links
http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/links.html

Florida Kung Fu Academy
www.floridakungfu.com

The Tai-ji, Inner Alchemy and Kungfu Practice of
Master YUEN Hong-chau - with some video clips of both long haang gwan and the fan form
http://taichiyuen.org/t6.htm

martial arts trainign academy
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/mata/

5thBrother
07-11-2004, 02:10 AM
thanks.. my comp has died so been offline a while... borrowing a spare motherboard for the moment.

thanks for the links

i dont suppose there are any related schools of his lineage in australia.. i only know of the buk sing choy lay fat of the lacey;s and the hung sing schools of the ?forget name - "keeper of the style" lineage..

thanks~

Eddie
07-12-2004, 09:45 AM
the best would be to call the association directly.
i know we do have schools in south america, europe, and asia. actually, this should be CLFNole's cue to come in here.

will hopefully get back to you the next day or so about the booklet.
ed

CLFNole
07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Sorry, nothing in Australia, however there are a lot of good CLF schools there so check them out.

Peace.

Eddie
07-13-2004, 01:08 AM
CLFNole,
Speaking of the schools in Australia, what is your views on learning from other associations. I’m talking in general, lets say one has been studying from one lineage of a style, and then further some training in another.

Im not asking cause of specific reasons, just generally curious. Just wonder how appropriate it would be. Kung fu is a very personal thing.
Have you spoken to Master Li about the poster?
Ed

CLFNole
07-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Eddie:

How a person trains is really up to them. That being said I am in favor of learning CLF from the perspective of others. I know a couple of sets that are outside of our own CLF lineage in addition to sets that Si Baat Shek Kin taught to sifu.

This gives you a broader perspective on martial arts. I am not in favor of learning too many styles at once, however many sifus including my own learned sets from other systems. Some they incorporate into their own style and others they just learn for the knowledge.

Peace.

P.S. I spoke to sifu and he said he would have to think about it. Long story...I will get back to you when I know something.

Eddie
07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
thanks clfnole,
5thbrother and ironsilk, please respect master Li's descision regardles. if he gives the ok, i will post the booklet, if not then i wont. hope you guys understand
Ed

iron_silk
07-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I completely understand and respect the decision that will be made by master Li.

Thank you so much for all your effort in this matter.

5thBrother
07-25-2004, 07:55 PM
eddie

hi. as ironsilk said... totally understand the situation. and repeat, thanks for ur efforts.

take care all~

5thBro