PDA

View Full Version : Used Hung Gar b4 for defense?

jungle-mania
06-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Anyone here use Hung Gar for defense b4? the only time it ever help me, was I did a upper forearm block against a swinging nunchuks. Had a bad bruise, but my arm was still in one piece. I think the only saving grace was that I practised alot of iron bridge then, really harden my forearm. Don't think it would have help if it was a katana.:D

Brad
06-24-2004, 07:46 PM
There's a video out there of a Hung Gar dude defending himself against 3 attackers :)

jungle-mania
06-24-2004, 08:41 PM
saw that at bullshido.com, but it was just a reporter in hong kong

WanderingMonk
06-24-2004, 09:06 PM
did you study hung gar for a long time?

did you get into a lot of fights and found the technique didn't work or it was just unsuited for situation?

or you don't get into too many fights, so you can't test to see if HG techniques works?

I don't do HG except having a couple books on it and I feel most of the tiger techniques are practical and useful. Your mileage may varys.

If you really want to get a serious answer, go to the southern fist forum where most of the members are HG or related art stylists. You can get a better sample of HG fighters and how they view the pracitcality of their style.

http://www.forumco.com/hungkuennet/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=%21+Hung+Ga

Of course, most people here on the main forum are mix arts guys, so few have done HG and can't answer your question except based on their experiences dealing with HG guys or their impression of HG techniques. just a different perspective.

jungle-mania
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
thx for giving me the link, will check it out. BTW, I did Hung Gar for 4 years, did use several techniques and applying their principle, sparring with karate, TKD and kung fu stylists. Not that it didn't work, but the counters and combo I was taught seem more complicated to execute than more conventional methods and the success rates were not as high as other methods I used from other arts.

hasayfu
06-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Jungle-mania,

Hung Gar has some really effective concepts. At least 3 students/sidais come to mind where they used hung gar drills almost right out of training in real life confrontations.

That doesn't seem like much but I'm glad to say that most of the people I hang around don't get into real life confrontations. I can also say I don't know of any of my direct Hung Gar brothers where their training failed them.

On the otherhand, I know way too many places that look at the hung gar forms and try to use them as direct responses. This is why it leads to "complicated and slow."

What's missing is the bridging concept that is integral and characteristic of Hung Gar.

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Frankly, I find these kinds of threads rather silly.

"has anyone blocked , punched , kicked?"
Who hasn't ?!?!?

hasayfu
06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
Frankly, I find these kinds of threads rather silly.
"has anyone blocked , punched , kicked?"
Who hasn't ?!?!?

Forms only schools... ;)

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Is there really such a thing? Whole schools with absolutely no one fighting? Besides, wushu.

Tiger_Yin
06-26-2004, 09:04 AM
somoenes bitter about not being in shape enough to do wushu i sence...

Brad
06-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Is there really such a thing? Whole schools with absolutely no one fighting? Besides, wushu.
Taiji schools. ;)

jungle-mania
06-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Actually, you guys, espically hasayfu are not far off the mark. My sifu then didn't like us to do free sparring, mostly step sparring. I got bored with the endless forms and stances and seriously questioned the application he had taught me, 1 out of 5 ever worked even in explanation. Got hook on Sanshou not very long after that.

No offense to anyone who has practises Hung Gar here, just voicing my experience and ignorance.

Oso
06-27-2004, 08:37 AM
threw a front kick & put a guy on his butt about 3 months after starting hung gar in '82. ;)

SifuAbel
06-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jungle-mania
Actually, you guys, espically hasayfu are not far off the mark. My sifu then didn't like us to do free sparring, mostly step sparring. I got bored with the endless forms and stances and seriously questioned the application he had taught me, 1 out of 5 ever worked even in explanation. Got hook on Sanshou not very long after that.

No offense to anyone who has practises Hung Gar here, just voicing my experience and ignorance.

Is that the style's fault or the teacher's?

SifuAbel
06-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Tiger_Yin
somoenes bitter about not being in shape enough to do wushu i sen[s]e...

You meant sense, right?

No, I'm still young enough to run and jump and do cartwheels.

I just put down the pom-poms...........

SifuAbel
06-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Brad

Taiji schools. ;)

well, lets keep this on the external side.

scotty1
06-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Taiji schools.

I see you're still uneducated despite starting a thread on the subject. :)

Yeah yeah, I know, you're joking....;)

neit
06-29-2004, 11:52 PM
although i have not actually done that much hung gar. it would definatly be my choice in a street fight. mainly because the techniques are "sure fire" and work nomatter what kind of clothes and shoes you are wearing.

dodger87
06-30-2004, 06:36 AM
Just saw that hung gar bullshido clip, what was going on there? could someone tell me? It looked like some football field or something and the police didnt do crap.

WanderingMonk
06-30-2004, 06:50 AM
HK ~1996 to 1997

British gov was issuing a "passport" document to anyone willing to pay $$. Some thought it can be used to emigrate to one of the British Commonwealth but it was more like a souvenir for once being a British subjects.

Bunch of people lined up to pay money. Some jerks were cutting in lines. The old guy who just got his "passport" got angry and told those three guys to get to the back of the line.

They didn't and exchanged some words with old fella and decided to fight.

you saw the rest.

The old fella was declare "not guilty" in court if I remember it right.

dodger87
06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
LOL. The guys pushed the line and then ATTACKED him?

WanderingMonk
06-30-2004, 07:13 AM
Yes.

jungle-mania
06-30-2004, 03:52 PM
You guys must have seen the clip, anyone here knows how he could punch the guys like that? It is a simple straight punch using the last 3 knuckles, but he seem to be able to generate alot of power in that short movement and send those guys flying back. Furthermore, that man is probably in his late 50s or early 60s.

The closest thing I have seen is my seniors trying to explain to me using the waist to throw the punch, whereby the power is driven in by the punch.