PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Tao

One Finger Zen
06-25-2004, 03:30 AM
hey, has anyone read chronicles of tao??

I have and i think its a really good read and i was constantly compelled to read that little bit more.
It slightly far-fetched in parts but its mostly very interesting (the embryonic breathing part is cool).

Anyone have contrasting or comparitive views on my statement and feel free to tell me what you thought of it :D ...

Zaijian for now.

OFZ, peace...

Thundermudd
06-25-2004, 04:42 AM
I think that this was a good read. I actually just finished reading the original 3 books that it was published as. (no longer in print - consolidated into one big book with three volumes).
The story is great! However, I do think that some of it was glamourized. I have always ahd a hard time peicing together the time line within Kwan Saihungs life.
Anyone know if that fellow is still alive and kicking?

Peace,
Chris

Pakmei
06-25-2004, 05:07 AM
Click on the link http://www.easternhealthpractices.org/

This site apparently shows images of Kwan Sai Hung, could be true then again maybe not.

Either way, a reasonable site.

I have read both versions, the larger book and the original 3 volumes. Personally I think that the original books were better because of the line diagrams that it had in them.

It certain has an evocative story line, that cunjours up loads of images in my imagination. Excellent books in my opinion.

Buddy
06-25-2004, 05:49 AM
They're fine if you like fiction. One of my students used to study with Kwan. The fact that he now studies with me says more about Kwan's teaching than mine. Oh and that I have access to Luo Dexiu.

Ray Pina
06-25-2004, 06:21 AM
I enjoyed the book. Though it's not on the top shelf, it's a keeper to read again someday.

TaiChiBob
06-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Greetings..

The book is a great read.. there are numerous lessons hidden in the literature.. For a book on this subject it approaches quality literature. You need to visit Hua Shan to get a feel for the setting and mystery.. you need to meet DaShi Saihung to sense the depth of his understanding of Tao.. for his age he is a remarkable man.

Although the book(s) may be embellished, the embellishment is intended to give the reader a sense of the potential of embracing the Tao as a personal philosophy.. Saihung may not teach you the greatest Martial Art.. but, he can show you a path that will help you find it AND enhance your quality of living..

In the end, it is the quality of life that i hope to enhance.. Martial Arts is just one tool toward that goal.. Taoist philosophy is another valuable tool..

Be well..

Walter Joyce
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Funny how the same topics keeping getting recycled.

One of the "embellishments" is his age. He claims to be in his eighties, but I've heard that he is in his fifties.

FWIW

brassmonkey
06-27-2004, 05:01 AM
"Although the book(s) may be embellished"

I've heard he was born in NY and studied with American teachers not the famous Chinese teachers in the book. But that's just what I heard, if you read the book its obviously full of bs but a fun read.

Repulsive Monkey
06-30-2004, 01:36 AM
It was always under the conventional wisdom that his books are unflinchingly meant to be a mixture of fiction and folk/fact.
I can remember reading a review of it in a catalogue outlining from the start that the authour recognises this fact anyway.

Read the Entering the Dragon Gate by Thomas Leary for a more factual read of apprectiship and practical biographical Tao lore, if you want something good to read.

kungfu cowboy
06-30-2004, 05:33 AM
I find it disturbing that they left out most of his important history as a struggling Chippendales Dancer under the tutelage of the Great Masters of the Chippendales Dance! What they left in is just the bare bones of that glorious Art. Oh well.:mad: