PDA

View Full Version : Chen Sword Form

One Finger Zen
06-25-2004, 03:47 AM
Anyone practice this form??

I do as one of my teachers (Wang Hai Jun) teaches my teacher.
Its a wicked sword form with some really smooth moves such as Twisting Dragon Step and classical Close the Door to Green Dragon Comes Out The Water.

Anyone else learn from Wang Hai Jun (disciple of Chen ZhenLei and 5 times Taiji champion in china :D).

Catch Ya Later dudes

OFZ

One Finger Zen
06-30-2004, 08:41 AM
if not, tell me whatever sword form you learn whether it be yang, wu, sun or even flippin barishnikov (just kidding :D)

Also, what training is involved in your sword practice??

EAGERLY awaiting your replies (if any :mad: )

*hmph*

OFZ

count
06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I'll chat sword with ya. I practice Northern Sword. The forms I train with are San Tsai Jian and Kun Wu Jian. They are both classical Wudang sword forms and both have 2 man fight versions. But forms are only a single part of learning to use sword. We mostly parctice our basic cuts and defenses on both sides. Using footwork for training and two man for practice.

I once learned a Yang style sword form but it didn't hold my interest. I never learned sword in Chen. I would love to learn some bagua sword styles, but unfortunately, we don't have one in our system.

Where is it you study from Wang Hai Jun's student?

SPJ
06-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Sword plays.

I studied many. Shaolin Damo, Mantis, Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Ba Ji etc.

Tai Ji swords routines. A lot of them were added on at later time.

Since your teacher has a good linage, you should be able to find one sword play that may be original dated back to Chen Chan Xin.

Best of luck.

Close the door, you mean Lu Feng Si Bi?

Green Dragon-- , Qin Long Su Shui?

What do you mean twisting Dragon in Chinese, please?

I worked full time. Did not read your Q in time.

:)

count
06-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Interesting SPJ,

Begs a question to the original post by One Finger though. Are we talking straight sword or are you including others like dao, miao dao, or even hook swords, deerhorns, hell even my elbow knives might be considered swords. How about circular swords like the sun and moon rings?

One Finger Zen
07-01-2004, 02:23 AM
Some good info here guys, I only do straight sword that has been practiced in Chen Village (unchanged) for a coupla hundred years. The deer horn knives look very interesting as do the meridian axes in bagua.

spj, sorry i don't know much of the names in chinese so twisting dragon step is unknown to me in chinese.

But the thing that really gets me mad is that a hell of a lot of old people do taiji and whenever i tell people i do taiji, they say "that looks like dancing" or some crap like that. I have no problem whatsoever with old people doing it, i just wish that people would understand that it was and still is a martial art under the soft movements and as you progress in taiji the movements become external as well as internal, therefore more fajing can be used in the set (a bit like pao chui).
Just needed to get that one off my chest. :D

Catch ya later

OFZ

One Finger Zen
07-01-2004, 02:23 AM

count
07-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by One Finger Zen
Some good info here guys, I only do straight sword that has been practiced in Chen Village (unchanged) for a coupla hundred years. The deer horn knives look very interesting as do the meridian axes in bagua.

spj, sorry i don't know much of the names in chinese so twisting dragon step is unknown to me in chinese.

But the thing that really gets me mad is that a hell of a lot of old people do taiji and whenever i tell people i do taiji, they say "that looks like dancing" or some crap like that. I have no problem whatsoever with old people doing it, i just wish that people would understand that it was and still is a martial art under the soft movements and as you progress in taiji the movements become external as well as internal, therefore more fajing can be used in the set (a bit like pao chui).
Just needed to get that one off my chest. :D

Catch ya later

OFZ
Common thing One Finger Zen. Movements in CMA are subtle sometimes. The power isn't clear, especially when you start learning and your body isn't fully connected. Or you're so busy trying to coordinate your body learning movement that you ignore focus and intent. Easiest thing to do when people ask is to show them what it's for. (Without hurting them too much, of course, LOL) Movements you are practicing in the air can look pretty different on the recieving end of a throw or a painful lock. :p

I'll take a shot that what you mean by "twisted dragon step" might be what we call "tso pan bu" or twisted seated step.

bamboo_ leaf
07-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Or just smile and keep practicing ;)

Brad
07-01-2004, 09:23 AM
But the thing that really gets me mad is that a hell of a lot of old people do taiji and whenever i tell people i do taiji, they say "that looks like dancing" or some crap like that.
I think some non-MA people are starting to come around to realizing that Taiji quan is a martial art and not some health exercise. The other day I was practicing in my back yard and some teenagers started heckaling me yelling things like "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!" or "HIYAAAAA!!!" It was kind of anoying but cool at the same time :D

Brad
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I know a little bit of sword, mostly individual techniques tough. The only complex routines I know are 32 and 42 Taiji sword. I also know a few parts of Yu Cheng Hui's two handed sword form. My teacher put together a real nice two handed sword form combining Baji sword & Wudang sword(and maybe one other) that I'd love to learn someday. I need to work much harder on my basics before I approach him about it though(got lazy this year).

NorthernShaolin
07-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Most sword sets can trace their lineage to one of the three major families of Sword: Wu Tang, Shao Lin and Omei with Wu Tang being the most popular of the three. Threre are other sword families but these three are the most popular. At one time I had a list of which sword sets can from which families. I'm going to look for it.

Anyway I practice Northern Shaolin Sword called Dragon Shape Sword, 18 and 32 Yang Tai Chi Sword, Li Ching lin's lineage of Wu Tang Sword (called Dragon Phoenix Sword, Double Dragon Twin Swords and two sparring sword sets called Three Combination Sword and Wu Tang Active Step Sword Fighting) and Fu's style Ba Gua Sword called Flying Dragon Sword.

Since I've learnt sets from two of the major famiies, I found that Yang's Sword techniques are very similar to Wu Tang's and Yang's sword has a historical connection to Wu Tang. Fu's Ba Gua Sword also is very similar to Wu Tang.

History has it that Fu Chen Sheng was part of Li Ching Lin's Think Tank where Yang Chang Fu, Sun Lu Tang and others shared their knowledge on the sword.

However, I found that there is a difference in sword techniques between Wu Tang and Shaolin and I prefer Wu Tang Sword over Shaolin sword because the techniques feel smoother and more natural.

One Finger Zen
07-02-2004, 11:39 AM
You certainly know what you're talkin bout NS :D...

Good observational skillz. I haven't finished learning my current sword form as i used to do this different one that not many people in my class learned (as they are mostly old biddies who concentrate on empty hand sets) and then my teacher began teaching the whole class the classical Chen Sword Routine.

the thing that i've begun to appreciate more in the sword sets is that the more the sword is practiced, the more the movement in the empty hand sets comes from the dan tien and the movement is no longer isolated but moves the body as one unit.

Take care

OFZ