PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys train for jumping?

inic
06-25-2004, 07:32 AM
I really want to gte my jumping way up there. Any tips? Also, I want to be able to do the thing where you jump forward and do like a superman and as you land you roll forward. Your hands/head hit the ground first and roll. I see this a lot on gymnist competitions.

Toby
06-25-2004, 08:37 AM
I don't. If I did, though, here's what I'd do:

(a) explosive and strength leg work, like Westside does (for jumping).
(b) plyometrics (for jumping).
(c) gymnastics (for skills).

Ray Pina
06-25-2004, 08:38 AM
If you want to improve your vertical jump you can get special sneakers with high lifts in the front that force your calves to keep your heal up. Where these when shooting hoops and your leap will get better.

How this relates to martial arts is another matter.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
you can jump, alot. Seriously.

Plyometrics in any form you can get them. When I was in shaolin they had me doing a couple of simple exercises and I was jumping higher in about 3 weeks then when I started.

squat down, put your hands on your head and jump until you can't jump anymore.

Rest, then squat back down with your hands on your head and jump, but this time spin so you face the other direction, do as many in one directin as you can, then go the other direction.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-25-2004, 09:59 AM
i would find walls to verticle leap up onto and just keep jumping up on them. before i got sick i was able to make it onto a 3'9'' wall from standing. my feet were crunched to my chest to make it, so my ass didnt go that high, but it was still pretty impressive considering im only 5'4''.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
you could train with that dude that can jump from 11 stories and higher. They have pictures.....

dodger87
06-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
you could train with that dude that can jump from 11 stories and higher. They have pictures.....

Parkour?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-25-2004, 10:32 AM
nah ... those guys do some really impressive jumps from 15 maybe even 20 feet, but theres a guy that claimed he could jump off of an 11 story building. he even had a picture that looked like he was jumping off of one on his site. some kind of ninja or something.

Tak
06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
15 or 20 feet isn't that much. I jumped off a 3-story house when I was a teenager. That's what, 45 or 50 feet? And that was with no practice or training (or injury).

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Jump soles are the best brand of what EF is talking about, and they work fantastic as long as you keep up with the included program. They garauntee at least 6" on your verticle in 6 weeks or your money back... It helps your cardio too.

Calf raises are fantastic... If you have access to a gym, use calf extension machines... Just jumping as R5 said can help quite a bit... After thats not giving the results you want, hold a dumbbell in each hand, and squat all the way down, then jump all the way up as high as you can, land and squat all the way back down.

Jump rope... Thats about all I got for now... but all that sh!t works... trust me, I got mad hops.
:)

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:10 AM
dodger87 - actually no, but that is why I started learning to jump higher, because of parkour, now I do it myself from time to time.

meat shake is correct, and I meant to mention, supplement yoru training with weights, even just normal leg stuff like squats or what have you, the basics.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tak
15 or 20 feet isn't that much. I jumped off a 3-story house when I was a teenager. That's what, 45 or 50 feet? And that was with no practice or training (or injury). 1 story = 10 feet, generally speaking.

mortal
06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Just do tons of jumps as high as you can every time you train.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 11:33 AM
" I jumped off a 3-story house when I was a teenager."

The bones probably cant handle it anymore... I did a lot of dumb things like that when I was younger.... (younger because Im only 20)

Now I do other dumb things.
:D

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:38 AM
hell I'm 31 and I jumped off a two and a half story building last summer. Of course I had beer to soften my landing.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Actually... Beer does make the body more supple and flexible than normal. Also keeps you relaxed in situations you would normally tense up... Hence drunk drivers usually walking away from the same accident that left the victim maimed and crippled.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 12:23 PM
well it sure as hell makes me more relaxed and supple. It also makes everyone else better looking.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Yes...
But thats a whole nother set of stories Im not getting into right now.
:eek:

;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-25-2004, 12:32 PM
i thought my verticle leap onto the wall outside my house was badass, but you guys are jumping off ****ing buildings.

what the hell are you landing on? i assume grass cause water wouldnt really count. not that jumping off of buildings into water isn't cool mind you ... i've done that, but never just onto the ground from anything higher than a porch roof.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I jumped off of a 2 story house once when I was younger without injury... No way in hell would I do it now though.

Ive jumped off of a 75 foot cliff in hawaii... but that was into the ocean. :)

Also, when I was younger, a friend up the street lived in a house that was about 12 feet away from the neighbors house, and each was higher than the other roof at one point, so we would jump back and forth when no one was home. :)

red5angel
06-25-2004, 12:47 PM
well, see, my secuirty crew usually spends the evening out on the renfest site we work at, during the weekends we work. They kindly open up a bar for the employees of the fair after hours and we kindly raise hell. typically part of that involves us climbing all over stuff for various reasons and I often have to jump off of buildings I can't remember how to get off of. usually onto grass/dirt/wood chips.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 12:53 PM
So what exactly does security do at a renfest? Shake down people smuggling in twelve-sided dice?

red5angel
06-25-2004, 12:58 PM
well, we like to look for certain types of individuals, you know, shdy types. Whenever we see someone we even think is going to cause a probelm we like to make it real inconvenient for them to have any fun. You know, asking them fof their ID's and we try to break as many civil rights as possible.
"If it ain't white it ain't right" is pretty much on our flags

We also like to use our power completely for our own advantage. If you resist at all, and buy resist I mean, start doing stupid stuff liek say, asking us questions or looking at us funny, we kick your a$$ behind stage and haul you off.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 01:01 PM
OK, but what do you do after the Dungeon Master has to go home?

red5angel
06-25-2004, 01:01 PM
in theory, when we're not doing all the stuff previously listed, we generally are responsible for all sorts of emergency and security response.
Our two biggest issues, drunks and heat exhaustion. But it runs from people trying to sneak horses onto site during the day, to giving CPR to a guy whoes hips are up around his armpits, no kidding.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
after hours, we drink alot, climb on stuff and break things. We once lifted the roof off a "gnome house" cause we didn't realize we were standing on the base said house was attached to. We were trying to move it across fair site to a much more funny location, atleast in our own pickled minds.

3rdrateIMAkilla
06-25-2004, 02:37 PM
It looks like infomercial crap, but my brother really increased his vertical jump using jump soles. There seems to be alot of ways you can use them, which will be what determines how good they are. Everyone I met who used them for basketball, got benefits

http://www.jumpusa.com/p14.htm?OVRAW=jump%20soles&OVKEY=jump%20sole&OVMTC=standard

CaptinPickAxe
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
So what exactly does security do at a renfest? Shake down people smuggling in twelve-sided dice?

LOL!
No, they keep people from drinking too much healing potions. You know they get you fuct up, right?
They also keep the orcs away from the goblins...not even the truce of 9-duece could squash that beef.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey, 7 angry pimple faced 16 year olds packing official d&d gear is no laughing matter!

red5angel
06-25-2004, 03:19 PM
you guys are real fukking funny!:mad: :D

Actually the D&D geeks are just an annoyance, It's the 250 lb drunk elves and their 300 lb girlfreinds in a chainmail bikinis that get to be the problem.

CaptinPickAxe
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Red5,
Don't be angry that you're fair maiden ran off with the black knight...:D

Kristoffer
06-26-2004, 08:26 AM
http://www.parkour.org.uk/parkour_links.html
http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/

ch-check it out