PDA

View Full Version : how would you teach?

wongfeilung809
06-08-2001, 03:46 PM
i was wondering when you teach, or now that you do teach, what style do you teach in, traditional? hard nosed? detailed in the beginning?any intresting training methods, e.g; puting a can of peas between the legs in the basic wing chun stance, to make sure they hold their stance? just trying to firgured what other wing chun people do....
simpleangles

S.Teebas
06-08-2001, 03:56 PM
When i teach i find that getting beginners to start with a can of peas is a little to advanced for them. I tend to start them off holding 3 eggs strung together..this way they must find the right pressure to hold the eggs...but not crush them! next i move on to what is known as the slipery potatoes followed by avacardo then...and only then, will i allow them to go onto peas. As a instructor it is my duty to regulate what vegitables they use!
For very advanced students i advocate the use of brocoli, cellery and old tomatoes.

S.Teebas

Losttrak
06-08-2001, 04:28 PM
I think in the beginning people want to be whipped into action, but never underestimate the value of having "fun." My sifu is pretty militaristic at times but he knows when to break up the tension with a laugh. Yet, then he gets us back to serious work. The most valuable tool is to give people personal attention, whether its to walk by and adjust their stance, look at them specifically for a few kicks, or have them lead a count. People want to be recognized and feel special. Once they are "in your fold", you can become a little more stern and serious in their training. Being overly critical is hard on people unless they are your most devout. Then they FEED off of it. All in all, I think most people want to try hard and be good at something. Even if they arent masters give them some credit for their effort and hard work, and you will be successful.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

jameswebsteruk
06-10-2001, 01:11 PM
What is this idea of a can of peas? Where would the can be held, between the knees or something?
Doesnt that give you a narrow stance?

Sounds an interesting training method. What about a can'o'bud? Would that do? ;)

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

harry_the_monk
06-12-2001, 01:41 PM
I'm really sorry, I suppose I shouldn't be laughing, but the broccolli guy and the bud guy just had me roflma... :cool:

Anarcho
06-12-2001, 05:54 PM
This thread is making me hungry...

Soup is good food.