PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Shaolindynasty
06-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Why is it kungfu guys think martial art training qualifies them to teach "zen buddhism".

Sorry I had to get that off my chest. I've been seeing it allot lately

Tak
06-25-2004, 10:34 AM
You sound like you're stressed out - maybe you should try some Zen meditation. Here, let me show you how to do it...

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:11 AM
why we all had buddhist philosophy crammed down our throats in TMA class, that's why we go for god sake! Just ask any MMA guy, they'll tell you!

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
I didn't.

My students don't.

I was too busy training to get a theology lesson.

Sure, every school should have some basic ethics included in class but not actual religious doctrine.

Meditation is not necessarily buhdist.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Phil Jackson has won 9 NBA title rings teaching meditation techniques to his basketball players.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Phil jackson is an idiotic coach but a fantastic manager. The players won the championships, phil just helped pick out who would win him the next ring.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 12:11 PM
By that rational, the Tennessee Titans should have 7 Superbowl rings, and the Pittsburgh Steelers should have lost 4 Superbowls in the 70s. Great players do not always equal a great team.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
And championships do not always equal a talented coach.
Phil jackson stumbled onto a phenomenon for himself, the triangle offense. He ran it pretty much his whole career... Only problem is that the ******* didnt realize that once the champion bulls were no more, none of the teams in the NBA can really run that offense.
Then look at the lakers... Hes trying to run a very team oriented offense with 4 superstars. The lakers arent a team. The lakers are 4 stars each wanting to be "The star".
I didnt even like phil when he coached the bulls.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 12:17 PM
And championships do not always equal a talented coach. He's a PTP'er, baby.

http://espn.go.com/****vitale/vcolumn020614PhilJackson-again.html

Hell, he even won a ring as a player.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 12:23 PM
ESPN.com FILE NOT FOUND

^Is it a members only site?

And if its just someone elses opinion on phil, thats all it is. Another opinion. If anything at all, this season should be reason enough to say phil sucks. He relied on Kobe bryant the entire f*cking season. The one time he ****ed kobe off and kobe didnt try, they got stomped. Before kobe, he had michael.
Phil jackson rides the coattails of talent to fame.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
It worked 10 minutes ago. It was **** Vitales take on Phil being one of the best, maybe up there with Aurbach.

The Laker players relied on Kobe. The rest of them quit playing in December. Most of their games looked like a remake of Teen Wolf.

Really, I don't care one way or another. He's got 9 rings as a coach, and 1 as a player. Jimmy Johnson only got 3 out of that awesome Cowboys team he built, and he couldn't duplicate it in Miami. Controlling all those Egos on both teams is a feat unto itself. Either show me your 9 rings, or give the guy his props.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Oh lord...
In the middle of looking for a picture of the ****iest rings I could find, Ive stumbled across a d&d forum.... And not only a d&d forum, but a d&d thread discussing how our wonderful d&d pimp daddies woo the ladies.

http://www.planetadnd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=16077&forum=2&0

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 02:58 PM
And phil jackson still sucks.

"Jimmy Johnson only got 3 out of that awesome Cowboys team he built, and he couldn't duplicate it in Miami."

Longevity. You cant play football as hard for as long as you can play basketball.
He wasnt given a powerhouse team in miami like he had here.

Brad
06-25-2004, 04:03 PM
By that rational, the Tennessee Titans should have 7 Superbowl rings, and the Pittsburgh Steelers should have lost 4 Superbowls in the 70s. Great players do not always equal a great team.
In football, you have to deal with a lot more players. 22 starters, plus the special teams guys. Also, more serious injuries :-)

David Jamieson
06-25-2004, 04:24 PM
shaolin dynasty -

your question is valid, lol

I practice Chan having been introduced to it as zen years ago by my father.

I think that the meditative practice is what is used most by the martial arts set and in my experience, there is not so much emphasis on the buddhism aspect.

Then on the other hand, I've visited a few temples where the zen of zen took a back seat and the religion was to the fore.

So, most who practice zen and zen meditation practice in a very insular fashion and in fact many who practice zen have not been introduced to the religio-philosophical structure of the study.

So, anyone can meditate but is any meditation zen? yes and no. I do think that there are a lot of martial artists who co-opt the term zen and use it as the handle on the meditation they offer, even though, it isn't really zen.

anyway, who cares, it's not like meditation is hard to describe as a method driven by process, but if the three treasures are not present, then it is likely not buddhism and ergo by definition, it is not zen. mindfulness of the noble truths and the 8 fold path is virtually unknown to a great deal of martial artists who profess to teach zen.

Always handy to ask the two questions to assure yourself if someone does indeed know the history of what they are touting.

simply ask "what are teh 4 noble truths?" and "what is the 8 fold path", to each of these, there is a definitive answer and will tell you how grounded in buddhist knowledge the person is.

Chan has an escape hatch attached to it that is frequently misinterpreted and misrepresented. The escape hatch is that "Chan is without doctrine or dogma" which is true and untrue at the same time.

There is a great deal of historical knowledge of Chan and reems of material in regards to it's patriarchs and how it was spread out from the Shaolin Temple across the world over the last roughly 1500 years or so.

cheers

but even the buddha would likely say that that is nitpicking :D

WanderingMonk
06-25-2004, 05:17 PM
how many rings did kobe Byrant and Shaq O'Neil (the most famous Irish man in the world) win before Phil Jackson got there?

Did they even get into the NBA finals b/f Phil Jackson?

They were eliminated by Utah Jazz in 96(?).
eliminate by Spurs in 97 (?).

They were dysfunctional b/f Phil Jackson got there but Phil Jackson got them to let go their egos to win the championships.

After three championships, well, they can't hide the egos anymore. Byrant can't stand Shaq b/c it make Byrant feel like he ain't the Man.

Shaq don't think Byrant wouldn't be that great of a player without Shaq. With shaq drawing all the defenders away and leaving Kobe free to shoot his shots.

This past NBA final already prove it. When the pistons didn't double team shaq, byrant start to miss shots.

Phil Jackson knew he was a lame-duck and nobody in the org was there to keep this two big egos in check. Now, the team has imploded. I hope Shaq don't get traded and go play in Houston a year from now as a free agent. He'll play center and Yao ming will play power forward. I want to see that front court.