PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm considering Kung Fu...advice please.

BSC14
06-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I have always kinda felt like Kung Fu was somewhat....I guess unrealistic for real world situations. No disrespect meant by that it's just that I have Hollywood images running through my head of people flying around and things of that nature. However I have been reading a little about Wing Chun and just how well it works in real world situation. Anyway, I wanted to hear from you guys because I really know nothing about it other than Bruce Lee studied it at one time. So would you guys recommend it? I want something both effective and somewhat traditional. Also I'm looking at moving to Phoenix Arizona and was looking at this school.

Meng's School (http://www.mengsofaz.com/)

Ever heard of it? What do ya think?

Thanks!

red5angel
06-25-2004, 10:47 AM
do it, take it, then never return to this site again if you want to enjoy it.

BSC14
06-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
do it, take it, then never return to this site again if you want to enjoy it.

....why's that? Sorry but I don't understand.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 10:48 AM
oh yeah, donm't ever ever ever talk to other wingchun guys, especially on the internet, otherwise you'll find out how bad your wingchun really is. ;)

sean_stonehart
06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
I replied to you on the first site I saw the question posed...

red5angel
06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
just trust me BSC14, stay away, far far away....and don't touch anything that starts with Rub..... or 7*......

BSC14
06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
I replied to you on the first site I saw the question posed...

LOL! Yeah I'm reading it now and thanks a lot for the reply!

BSC14
06-25-2004, 10:55 AM
just trust me BSC14, stay away, far far away....and don't touch anything that starts with Rub..... or 7*......

Thanks for the reply but I really have no idea what you are talking about. I would however like to understand if you care to explain it to me.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 10:58 AM
What he is saying is that Wing Chun is plagued by inner-style bickering, jockeying, and lineage issues, that will ruin your perception of the art. Internet message boards are the battleground on which these issues are fought.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 10:58 AM
I'll compare it by way of post counts, you have 4, I have 5990. Trust me on this, run, while you still can. Go to your school, check it out, make some freinds, learn some kungfu, more importantly have some fun. Don't bother with anyone who says they study with wingchun on the internet.

I'd like to paint a picture here: Your a fly, and your hovering there carefree before the flypaper. I'm here stuck to the flypaper aka kungfumagazine forums, and I'm telling you, don't touch it, don't even look at it too long. don't say the whole name in the same sentence if you can help it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW FLY AWAY!!!!!!! FLY FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akhilleus
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Having been in your shoes before, I would say the thing to do is determine what your goals are, then look at the school and see if the higher ranking students exhibit the skills/qualities that you get from your martial arts training. If they cannot fight and your goal is to be a good fighter, the school in question might not be right for you. How do you determine this? This is a difficult question. You can ask them about their classes of course, and watching a class would be a good idea too. Wing chun is considered an effective art for self-defense, but more important than the style is how it is practiced at the school. But if you work hard all your training will pay off in the end...for example I've bounced around from a couple different places b/c I would meet some guy at my ninjutsu school that did kung fu then some guy at kung fu that did san shou...so I found places that I liked...

BTW I can tell you that the statement below is true for at least large martial arts org. but I daren'y say which for fear that a ninja will sneak into my house at night pretending to be a cameraman...anyway...

There is this large martial arts org. where if you look on the internet they will say: "Only go to schools that can show you written documentation verifying their good standing with the grandmaster of the style" Sounds like an attempt to keep the system up to par when in fact all you have to do is send $$$ and you will receive said documentation....so I guess what I am trying to tell you is that I wouldn't choose schools based on paperwork or memorabilia, but rather by watching them perform their martial art. I had to say this b/c many schools might try to lure you in with such strategies while you may be passing over a good one that didn't send in the money if you adhere to aforementioned philosophy. Hope this helps and g/l.

BSC14
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Well....ok. But does the school look decent?

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:07 AM
have you checked it out? how did it look to you?

Here's the problem BSC14, you're gonna get several opinions. Some might have had good experiences with the school and so will say good things. Some will have had bad experiences with the school and say bad things, most of us have never heard of the effin place and won't say a whole lot, and all teh wingchun guys will tell you it sucks, unless they share the same lineage.

Go check out the school, see how YOU feel about it. Check out some other schools in your area and see how you feel about them. Then choose.
Better yet, give each school a month, visit a couple, spend a month checking them out then see how you feel.

but if you really want to learn to fight you'll take BJJ or TKD. ;)

Tak
06-25-2004, 11:20 AM

Actually, the first step is to check if you're a mammal. Do you have nipples? Good. This means that you're destined to be a ninja. As such, your mission will be to infiltrate the Wing Chun school, attain an intermediate rank, and then flip out and kill everybody with your sweet ninja skillz. Then seek out Ashida Kim to complete your ninja training. Just be careful if he looks like he's going to flip out. And don't touch his nipples.

Fu-Pow
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Please don't take kung fu, especially not traditional....

It's full of kooks who dress up in Chinese silk pajamas, talk in a funny language, think they can shoot chi out of there palms and quite frankly just don't know how to fight.

I'd recommend BJJ, MMA, Muy Thai or anything that sounds new and "razzle dazzle" like Krav Maga or Shaolin Kempo.

Anything where you get sweaty and wrestle around on the ground is good because that is more like real fighting. Afterall, 90% of fights go to the ground and are one-on-one so that's really where you want to put your training effort.

Anything where you spar "full contact" with pads (wait isn't than an oxymoron?) is good because chances are when you get in a real fight your opponent is going to be wearing boxing gloves (and you'll be wearing protective head gear).

I'd also try to avoid anything that has a history of more than 20 years because it means that art is "dead" but if you train something that is less than 20 years old and has a razzle dazzle name like Mixed Martial arts or "Free hand" then you are training a "Modern Defense Concept."

And heaven knows you wouldn't want to train anything that isn't "modern."

I'd also recommend when you start training that you do a heavy dose of weightlifting. Bodybuilding and martial arts work really well together. If you can isolate one muscle to be very strong then when you use all your muscles together they will be super strong. Coordination will come in and of itself. Just keep lifting.

Avoid any weapon training. It's pointless. I mean where are you gonna find a Halberd or Spear or Broadsword or the street. Go for simpler weapons like 2 sticks or a Bowie knife (because most people carry those around.) Instead of weapon training get back in the gym and keep lifting those weights.

Just some friendly advice from a traditional kung fu guy who knows nothing about fighting.

:D

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:24 AM
traditional kung fu guy who knows nothing about fighting.
'

well duh, you people don't even like to go to the ground! ;)

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
LOL!, Fu

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:27 AM

'

well duh, you people don't even like to go to the ground! ;)

Going "down" is for chicks.

Becca
06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Looks like a typical Kung Fu school from the waesite. Fairly nice, so they are likely well established and profitable and large. But the point isn't what they look like on paper, it's will that school work for you.

I'm sure you are starting to get sick of hearing this, but it's true. I personnaly don't like the bigger schools. I don't feel comfortable in large classes where I don't really know many of my fellow students. I spend more of my time worrying about not looking silly. But if you are the kind of person who isn't as self-conssious, that won't likely be an issue.

Another big thing to think about is wether your personality meshes well with the instructor's. If it doesn't, you won't be satified with your training, no mater how good the school is.

The best thing you can do is visit the school, talk with people, and try it out. If you feel comfortable in that environment, the classes fit your schedule and you can afford it, stay. If not go look somewhere else. Any oppinion you get on the web will probably not be very reliable unless they are a student of that school. This is point Red5 was trying (and failing horrably) to make.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 11:31 AM
"Anything where you spar "full contact" with pads (wait isn't than an oxymoron?) is good because chances are when you get in a real fight your opponent is going to be wearing boxing gloves (and you'll be wearing protective head gear). "

So are you saying its better to point spar or not spar at all?

"Bodybuilding and martial arts work really well together. If you can isolate one muscle to be very strong then when you use all your muscles together they will be super strong. Coordination will come in and of itself. Just keep lifting. "

If you know how to lift weights for ****, you know that you can work muscles and support groups with free weights, then move to machines and isolate muscles and work them until exhaustion. God knows that fighting is easier when you are a peasy little b!tch.

"Avoid any weapon training. It's pointless. I mean where are you gonna find a Halberd or Spear or Broadsword or the street. "

This was sarcastic, but funnily enough, correct. It is pointless. Fun, but pointless. Only weapons you would want to train to use would be a pocket knife, a stick, or a gun. Other than that, its all for fun.

Dont read too much into this thread BSC 14... Just check out the school and see what you think. Make your own opionions based on what goals you have and how applicable to your goals said school is.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
Going "down" is for chicks. You must have the crankiest wife in the world. Mine, on the other hand, whistles and skips all day long. :D

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
That means she doesn't go down on you? Too bad, LOL!

red5angel
06-25-2004, 11:39 AM
she goes down on me, hence the whistling and skipping. She went down on him once, thats' how he knows about the whole cranky thing ;)

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:41 AM
"Dont read too much into this thread BSC 14..."

I agree, opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one.

This forum tends to get pretty silly and irrelevant at times.

Read my merryprankster quote below.

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
That means she doesn't go down on you? Too bad, LOL! I eat Puerto Rican every night, regardless of what I have for dinner. ;)

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
she goes down on me, hence the whistling and skipping. She went down on him once, thats' how he knows about the whole cranky thing ;) That wasn't whistling. She was using echo location to try to find your little man.

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I eat chinese every night, too. But then chinese then eats me. LOL!!!!!

BSC14
06-25-2004, 11:44 AM
have you checked it out? how did it look to you?

Here's the problem BSC14, you're gonna get several opinions. Some might have had good experiences with the school and so will say good things. Some will have had bad experiences with the school and say bad things, most of us have never heard of the effin place and won't say a whole lot, and all teh wingchun guys will tell you it sucks, unless they share the same lineage.

Go check out the school, see how YOU feel about it. Check out some other schools in your area and see how you feel about them. Then choose.
Better yet, give each school a month, visit a couple, spend a month checking them out then see how you feel.

Ok, let me explain why I'm asking. I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for in a Kung Fu school. When I was 11 years old I trained in Judo at the Huston Budokan. At 27 years old I went back and trained in Karate and Jujitsu. The instructor's name is Darrell Craig. He nothing short of amazing and extremely dedicated. I knew I was getting quality training but I ended up moving a little to far away (for work) to continue training there. A couple years later I started looking in my new area and found something interesting called Kuk Sool Won. Started and got to brown belt within a year and a half or so. Anyway, I'm not gonna go into any real detail but lets just say I was unhappy with my training and left the school. Now I'm moving and would like to find something I really enjoy but I don't want to waist time with a school or art I'll end up being disappointed in. Now I'm not bashing Kuk Sool I just don't feel it's for me. So I started looking at the Kung Fu schools in Phoenix but wasn't real sure of what to look for or what to stay away from. That's why I'm here. I can see the Kung Fu politics and history is as messed up as the Koran martial arts....that's to bad. It won't stop me from training but it really a shame.

Ray Pina
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Take Wing Chun. It's a good base style and will give you good hand skills relatively quickly .... you'll learn good trapping and sticking skills and have a lot of fun. You'll also be able to play with class mates (Chi Sau) without getting hurt and get a sense of things.

It shouldn't take you more than 3 years to get the gist of the style if you have an open mind and train.

If you have time/money, I'd suggest complimenting it with some brazillian (Gracie) jujitsu or judo to get some grappling.

This will give you that traditional feel you mentioned.

Or you can go a more "hardcore" route and study MMA, San Da ect.

Just be careful of these schools that do it all. I've played with a lot of guys who study Tai Boxing and jujitsu and something and something.

They don't kick like the pure Tai boxers, they don't grapple like the pure jujitsu .... something is missing along the way but what they have is more than enough, truly.

Good luck.

Also ask yourself what you want: do you want to be a fighter (really) or are you just looking for a hobby?

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
A quick note on the weapons. Objects are everywhere, of every size and ability. Just because you don't have a kwan do doesn't mean you won't find and object thats similar in weight.

Each weapon teaches the body a particular lesson.

Then again, If go to a rumble I will take what I want. My heavy hardwood three-sectional and chain whip are always in my car.

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Kuk sool won sucks. No shame in saying that. So does TKD.
:p

Look for sparring... Do they point spar? Do they fight full out? Do they not spar at all?
Does the instructor pay attention to detail in techniques or does he simply show and let the class go on their own?

I wouldnt worry about what the gym itself looks like... Right now I train in a backyard.

3rdrateIMAkilla
06-25-2004, 11:57 AM
ROFLMAO at Fu Pow's post. Just go to your local weigth gym to work out, and get into barfights. From there, if you are serious, try wrestling and MMA! :D :D :rolleyes:

red5angel
06-25-2004, 12:05 PM
bsc - sure I can understand what your saying. But only your going to know what is good or bad. even the really crappy schools out there get plenty of students who enjoy the classes. Look at Gracie Jujitsu, that crap has taken off like wild fire and we all here at KFO knows it blows major a$$.

Essentially you're going to get all sorts of opinions on this forum and most of the will suck.

Crap man! Just look at this thread! It's insane, we're all insane! We're obviously swinging like madmen, passing our wives and girlfreinds around like it's a vagin@ buffet! Look at the screen names MAsterkiller! he admits to being a good killer! Red5angel! Keerrist, I'm practically saying I'm the devil! Sifuabel! Well, his name isn't all that scary but you should see him, even after the operation!

MasterKiller
06-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Actually, SifuAble only gets dangerous when you interrupt Chinese from eating him.

red5angel
06-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Actually, SifuAble only gets dangerous when you interrupt Chinese from eating him.

no kidding, you should see his ceiling!

Meat Shake
06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
No one likes blue balls.
:mad:

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Doh!

SifuAbel
06-25-2004, 12:36 PM
"Sifuabel! Well, his name isn't all that scary but you should see him, even after the operation!"

Yeah, the bolts in my neck were bothering me.