PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the debate...

mantis108
06-25-2004, 03:04 PM
On the Dazed and Confused thread, there are quite a bit of good points posted.

I basically agreed with Sevenstar's points. Mika make a good rebuttal to that as well. Shriker1 also impresses me with he's post.

First and foremost, there are a lot of different styles of Mantis in exsitance today. No 2 styles and no 2 lineages are alike and they don't have to be. Without training or understanding the different approaches and form an opinion from a video clip is plain ignorant and baised (God knows I have sinned like that many times with my big mouth).

There is an effort especially by the mainland China groups (Shandong, Shanghai, etc...) to "centralize" Mantis. That's part of the reason why we are hearing a lot of our mantis is the "one and only true way" of Mantis. The follow up of that is " my way or the high way".

As we saw in the latest round of debates, there simply is no way of pleasing those agenda oriented people. Criticism ranging from pat-a-cake to reverted to kickboxing, etc... Bottom line is those are the people that have more real agenda than true virtue (skills and heart). A lot of the negativities came from weak eyesights (lack of possitive vision included) and expressed in poor taste. Roundhouse (quanchui) and straight punches (tong chui) combinations would be deemed as "frailing", intensed combinations would be called brawling, etc... what more could one say? There are people who saw hook grab pluck in my clip and they acknowledged it. GBL, Tainan and I demonstrated in the clips that we have specific goals and specific techniques in mind in order for the students to see the timing to apply such things (mostly basic) in a lively situation. It is not good because it is not you attack with one punch and I counter with a death blow or some fancy moves from the forms? There is a time for drills like that but it is a different time. If you really truely can fight exactly like doing a form with an extremely resistive opponent, who's only goal is to smash your face or tackle you down, more power to you, great master(s). I'd love to see that in clip or in person.

There is a serious demonstration of how disconnected are those self-proclaimed master(s ) and so-called experts in Mantis Kung Fu in today's reality. Their reality is one that's 100 years or so ago. Whether we like and/or appreciate things like point sparring, kickboxing, Sanshou, K-1, UFC/NHB, etc... They are here to stay because there are dedicated people see to it that these things are to stay. So is traditional training. We don't have to cut other's line to make ours look longer.

The most erroneous and absurd assessment of GBL' last clip is that Sanshou type of sparring session is of little or no value to Mantis training. This is based on a claim of a great grandstudent generation practitioner's "complete" understanding of a famous internally known Grandmaster whom he never ever met? Yet, complete understanding is achieved?! No wonder newer formats of competition is not acceptable. I don't doubt the intelligence nor the skill of that practitioner (he and others could beat the crap out of me anytime for all I care) but let's have a fair and healthy atitude. A fairer and practical assessment should be that Mantis training is one that prepares the practitioner for any and all events be it sports or real life. Not the other way arround. It is definately the choice of the teacher whether to limit student's exposure to the reality of the real world which includes martial sports. I did that once upon a time. I limited myself to traditional mindset. As I start working with students some have extensive backgrounds in martial sports or other MA, I begin to see their needs to sort out the value and the wisdom of what traditional training has to offer in this day and age. Show them how hook grab pluck would be apply on the dark corner in the street and show them how it would be used on the platform and under the lime light. That's what Tanglang Kung Fu should be - exercised to the full potential.

What's wrong with basics? If basics is what save the day then why not capitalize on that? Yes, hook grab pluck, axe blade kick, quanchui, dengta, dengpu, etc... are basic and they don't necessarily do serious harm or look exciting even look like simply kicking+boxing or brawling to some. If you can use it to get yourself out of a tight spot, it's worth more than a thousand fancy techniques. More doesn't mean better. Boxing doesn't have hundreds of techniques but people can train in it for years and still never perfect it (re: win a championship). Same as Muay Thai, etc... When those who perfected them fight, people admire their skills. Don't forget many of the perceived sophisticated styles (CMA especially) got their a$$ handed to them when battling with those who got good basics. The assumption that mantis technique (even in basic form) is far better that other systems techniques is a fallacy and an illusion that lends to the potential of a marketing ploy. Only people who has very little experience, interest, or understanding of fighting would think in those terms. In my clip, I showed basic mantis skills (including advancing and retreating) in free movement phase in conjunction with basic groundfighting strategy within my mantis training program no more no less.

We've seen through the clips of Tainan, GBL and I that there are vibrant and distinct flavors in each of the mantis training. Like it or not they are going to be there because we are dedicated to see to it that they are going to be there.

Well, believe what you will. It is your right to believe that you are invincible and your way is the only way that counts. If your training builds a comfort zone for you to dwell in the past rather than serves as a mirror for good reflection to brighten the way ahead, I think you owe it to yourself to serious question the mindset and the training before it is shattered by something that you look down on.

For the record, I understand very well that there are many many people who understand and perform 10 times or 100 times better than I. It is a known fact to me and I have no illusion about it. So it doesn't bother me that I was labeled as amatuer and/or unskilled. All is relative. When push comes to shove, it wouldn't be a walk in the park for those who want a piece of "moi" and my mantis Kung fu.

Mantis108

loki
06-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Bottom line is those are the people that have more real agenda than true virtue (skills and heart)

Well, believe what you will. It is your right to believe that you are invincible and your way is the only way that counts.

The assumption that mantis technique (even in basic form) is far better than other systems techniques is a fallacy and an illusion that lends to the potential of a marketing ploy.

Hello Mantis 108,

I'm assuming that you are directing these remarks as well as the rest of your post toward me. I find it kind of odd that you would say Mika made a good rebuttal and that shriker impressed you with his post. Both of them agreed with what I said yet your hostility toward me is clearly evident.

For the record, my name is not Billy Bad Ass. I have no agenda other than the desire to see people who practise Kung Fu really try and use it. You don't have to come to my school to do that. Stay with your style , your school, your teacher and use your style. As far as my virtue (skill and heart) goes, don't you think it is presumptuos of you to judge that based on what I say on a forum? If you are going to put material online for all to see why would you get upset when someone responds in a way that doesn't rub you the right way and your only defense is to presume that their skill level is lacking? I mean, if I were to judge you merely by your writing I would have to assume that you were Wang Lang reincarnated. I'm sorry to be so blunt but since you went there.....I'll take it a little further.

As far as your clip is concerned, let's say a lot of people on this forum have not been all that honest with you and are merely being very polite. Aside from your H,G,P everything else was merely a pretty bad Bruce Leeish type of imitation.Again sorry, didn't want to go there. I hear you are a really nice guy and hopefully we can blow this over and speak on a more amicable level in the future but for right now I feel compelled by your comments to have to respond in this manner. That is not to say that I don't mean what I say, only that I would have kept it o myself. Had I really wanted to address you with this I would have done it privately and in a more polite manner.

Anyway, to your second quote, I do not in any way think that I am invincible. I have a missing tooth, a displaced bone on my nose which required stitches over it, along with stitches over my left brow ( all this happened in one night :) ) and a cracked ( very visible ) knuckle along with other miscellaneous scars, and bruises ,contusions and lumps to show that I am not invincible. Most of these "trophies" were acquired before I began my training in mantis but I know that there are plenty of people out there that can take me out ( my Sifu being one of them :D )

To your 3rd quote, I have never, ever stated that mantis is better than anything. It is only my preferred method of fighting. I do train in Hung Gar and have some Ba Gua training as well but for me mantis is the way to go. That's not saying it's better than anything else. I just happen to like it, for myself, better than all the other styles I have trained in or come accross. The second part of your quote again shows your presumptuousness. There is no marketing ploy going on here. Everyone in my school holds a regular 9 to 5 including Sifu. Kung Fu is not making any of us any money. We rent space from a school that belongs to a jiu jitsu instructor. There goes your theory on marketing ploys.

Finally, back to the issue that sparked this thread. I will remain steadfast in my belief that kung fu, irrespective of system or clan,
can be used in it's pure form. This is not to say that when you fight you look like you're doing a form. What it means is that you can actually use the moves in the forms for fighting. I remember one of the first times Sifu Albright put me on the floor to spar. Since I had prior MAs training before I joined the school I didn't think I had done so bad. I felt I had held my own. However, I didn't get a "ggod job" or anything. What he did say was that he did not want me to fight that way anymore. I was learning mantis and I had to use it. Being able to fight is great, obviously. That is not the issue. The issue is when you say you know this style or that style can you demonstrate your style when you fight. Perhaps many people here have yet to see this type of fighting. I have been fortunate to have been able to see Sifu during his competitive days along with all my SiHings from that time on video actually use their Kung Fu styles with ease, and against people of other styles. I myself cannot fight the way I used to anymore. All I know is Mantis and Hung Gar now and that is what you will see when I fight. So forgive me for being so dogamtic in my beliefs but my beliefs are based on experience. Go ahead and try to conform to sport martial arts. Personally, I'm not interested in that apect of fighting,even though you can adapt your style to fit within the confines of sport rules and regulations.

Again, my apologies for sounding so brash toward you Mantis 108, I am sure that were we to meet in person we would not share any animosity toward each other as I am easy to get get along with and consider myself a good and loyal friend. Hopefully, this discussion will not put in jeapordy the possibility of us one day being able to consider each other as friends.

Take care.

RAYNYSC
06-25-2004, 11:19 PM
When push comes to shove it wouldn't be a walk in the park for those who want a piece of " moi " and my mantis kung fu.

You've got to be kidding me with that BS!.... By the look of things you need a lot more sweat time training before you go talking smack about your mantis kung fu there buddy lol :D ....
Just so you know before you get offended about what I'm saying outside of the hook grab pluck which by the way looked weak at least too me as well as the three or four other basic techniques you used in that clip tells me other wise, ( I have to ask myself where is the mantis kung fu )now you can get offended if you don't like what i'm saying that's on you.
I personally doen't have anything agaist you outside of you talking smack like you're doing now....
Anyhow that's my two cent's on this topic....

Peace:D

devout
06-26-2004, 01:50 AM
Basics or deep treasures of the system…
All valid if repetition is your guide.
With so many players and so many inclinations to the forms' practice, isn’t the possibility for manifestations in fighting as varied as the fighters?

Just a nugget of thought too…
(from one of my chief hobbies, thus outing myself as an abject loser and intellectual ****-sniffer)

our modern state as a species has rendered us bereft of our ancient and inborn traits as hunters, killers, and at least partial predators.
(for all detractors to humans as a predator species, check your eyes and teeth; eyes on the front of head, sharp teeth in the mouth equals meat in the stomach)
in the days before memory, we stalked the land, killing what we could, taking their very skin to wear, imitating their ways to approach closer. Vicious? We have a lot to derive from that little bug that we idolize so very much, and isn’t it fitting that we should continue to adapt by adopting (like our ancient kin) when we go to bleed our friends and enemies.

The thing speaks for itself

German Bai Lung
06-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Well, itīs very difficult for me, to write complex thoughts in a foreign language. So I make this one a short one.

Main point for me: itīs not to be critizised at all but itīs way of! You see: if someone who make useful comments (like kevin, oso, mantiscool etc) critizise, I can accept it. The community can learn from it and so do I.

From just hostile and polemic comments like: I see no mantis in it (which is obviously not true by any of the clips - you see, at least some straight punches are there, arenīt there? ;) ), students teaching students, knowledge watered down, no evidence of mantis boxing etc etc noone can learn. It has the smell of just drag someone down.

Also: there is a word from Loki saying: donīt be so sensitive. But when it comes to a well thought reply, he is the one being so?

Well, to the topic: howīs ībout seeing the clips as they were introduced? Neither Robert/Mantis108 nor I were saying that what you getting to see is a killer fight praying mantis match! The clips were introduced as a sort of Utility to improve different aspects. In the last vid I mentioned you see sanda. So why not accept that?

loki
06-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Hello German Bai Lung,

Please don't interpret my response to mantis 108 as a sensitivity issue. What he wrote was clearly directed toward me so I responded. It is what it is, don't make more of it.

I hear what you are saying with respects to your clip. If you did mention that you were incorporating Sanda in your clip then I clearly missed that statement somewhere along the line. My apologies to you for being so harsh with my criticism. It is obvious to me that lines of division are being made and certain people are staying on one side while others are crossing over. It is not my intention to create any lines. If I have contributed to this I aoplogize.

Having said that, I don't think my criticism was unwaranted. What is wrong with a Kung Fu practitioner wanting to see Kung Fu? I never said your technique was bad. I never criticized your fighting ability. I certainly never criticized you as a person (Mantis 108 can't say that ). I simply failed to see the style you say you practise. I'll admit there were some observable palms and straight punches but they were very generic in nature.

Ultimately, there is no way for me to prove my point in writing. What I'm trying to express would be much easier done in person and under a less hostile environment. I guess meeting people face to face forces them to be a little more friendly, unlike the
bravado that some people seem to exhude while pushing keys on their computers.

One last note, I think it is safe to say that at the expense of some possible future friendships there are some on this forum who are actually rethinking their training in terms of fighting. They will certainly keep what has been talked about here in mind and will probably make a more concerted effort to use their Kung Fu. If that has been imprinted into their minds then it's all good. If on the other hand , they want to attack me for my honesty and disregard the point I've been trying to convey, then all I can say to them is, you don't know what you're missing out on.

Take care German Bai Lung,

Pablo a.k.a. Loki ;)

German Bai Lung
06-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Well Loki,

Itīs not in my mind, to make new foes in this Forum. In the past I remember several times we were the same opinion.
I donīt take your critism that personal. I think Mantis108 either, but sure I canīt speak for him. Also I donīt see why you feel the post of Robert is directed to you. Itīs directed to several writers. And itīs also Roberts Opinion. I see no presumptuousness by doing so, unless you will add presumptuousness to your posts! ;)

Yes, I think also that WE could sure be friends when meeting some times.

Hungfutkune
06-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I would like to add a few things here in this thread. I actually thought the sparring was well done but was it Mantis? I am not quite sure. It's origins could have been from any style. I believe that in most of the clips the fighters could handle themselves but if we are training in a so called traditional setting why don't we see some traditional movements? If not please do not refer to what your are doing as traditional kung fu. That being said Modern Martial Arts does have a place in society but not in a school that preaches they teach TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS. I have been fortunate in my travels where I have seen traditional martial artists execute their techniques in a sparring session. These movements have been proven to be very effective.

In most of the posts I have seen in regards to these debates (ie: Kai Uwe Pel, Loki and Shanghai Kid). I have never seen anything that could be taken offensive. It was just criticism that was honestly and I believe politely given. We can't take offense to what others think, if we post videos of ourselves performing techniques on the internet and then asking for advice. ( I would probably take offense but then I would not post anything - ha ha - that was a joke!! :D )

In closing I would like to quote a famous saying from Wing chun Grandmaster Yip Man " A man should always should always think of the source of the water as he drinks it; it is this shared feeling that keeps us Kung Fu brothers together"

Peace Out!!

p.s. i hope this post makes sense - I really shouldn't post after a few drinks at the bar :o

mantis108
06-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Obviously, My rant (straightly as it is) has touched a cord [re: nerve] or three.

First my sincere apology to you because of this rant, and I stress that it is no more than a rant, is not directed at you at All.

You might not know that I do have a good will and hopefully a good standing with your Sifu whom I believe is Carl Albright. Although we have not met in person, we have exchanged a few emails including some info. regarding my style's material. He has always been very helpful to me and I admire his knowledge and the effort including the website that he runs.

You have reasoned your dismay against a presumed attack on your character and such. I can assure you that it is not directed against you. It is understandable but I believe you might have been clouded with other concerns. I can see your points and I thank you for the blunt and truthful statements in reply. I will speak up for myself too if I feel that I am attacked. Impart, I made a point about being honest. The truth is almost always bitter. Bitter medicine is a better medicine.

I post the rant because of the negativity of the Shanghai crew. I see that some members including me are being drawn into it. BTW, Tainan reminded me of being drawn into it (thanks man!) I have called for more open sharing but it is the same negativities until I saw the 3 posts from the posters that I read. I was typing my thread when you replied to that thread. So it would be possible that it sounds like it is an direct attack towards you. But it is not about your perspective.

I believe some people supported the Shanghai crew because of the brilliant mind of Mr Pel. I am sure he's quite a martial artist for his students and others to love him so much. All of us have yet to see the prove of his claimed mastery and total understanding of GM Luo Guangyu's teaching, deadliest training methodology, etc...
If we are prepare to give him the benefit of the doubt and listen to what he has to say and share (or the lack there of), then why are we not ready to give GBL and I the same benefit? Why fall victim to negativity? As GBL pointed out, there is a difference between constructive criticism and settling a score.

I don't intend to ever get into a flame war. However, I do see a need to speak my peace. People have the right to think that others who talk and share has little or no clue about what they are doing. In my case, it would be deemed evident. I am perfectly fine with people seeing me in that light. That's partly why I am still here.

This community has been by far the best Mantis community that I have come across. In the past few years, I have been benefiting exponential. Despite of the very limited knowledge and skill that I have, I intended to contribute back to the community so that others who join later would find what amazing oppotunity is this community mainly made up of genuine Mantis practitioners who do it for the love of the art. Eventhough the expression in the end might be different, it is the inspirations and the joy of enlightenment that we can all share.

The last statement in my rant was done in poor taste. I recognize I deserved the mockery. There is no need to hold hard feelings for a good debate. I sincerely apologize to you and to those who feel offended by my post. I have said my peace and that's all I have to say in this matter.

My warm regards to Sifu Carl Albright and to you.

Best wishes,

Robert Hui (Mantis108)

loki
06-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Mantis 108, yes I do know. Sifu does speak well of you. I particularly liked the TC Mantis wooden dummy book you sent him. I respect what you say and I won't make any more out of it but if in the future I say something you don't agree on please don't take it like I'm trying to tear you or anyone else down or making you look bad. Negative criticism can actually be a good thing. Remember, a true friend will tell you the truth to your face. A false one will lie to you just to make you feel good or for their own benefit. They will shake your hand with one hand while asking you how you're doing and stab you behind the back with the other hand. Don't sweat it, I ain't mad at ya ;)

GBL, yes, we have seen eye to eye on a few things here in public and in private I believe. This is why I feel bad it had to be your clip that brought this on. It's natural for us to agree and disagree on different things. The presumtuousness on my part may have come from the fact that Robert used terms and examples that I used exclusively. I mentioned the pitty pat example and I was the one that brought up the kickboxing term. Anyhow, we've cleared the air and we're on good terms so take care , Peace.

BTW, I may be posting some material myself in the near future. First, I have to learn how to turn my footage into mpegs and link them and all that. Also, I may need to get Sifu's permission on some of the material before I put it out there. Then, you guys can have fun criticizing my stuff :p

mantis108
06-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Glad that we clear the air. Making and meeting friends here is always the number one priority for me. Your advice is noted and thank you for being candid. I understand where you are coming from and I respect that. I am delighted to know that Sifu Albright enjoys the book. I do hope to meet him, you and others of the school in the future. It would be wonderful to learn something form a prominant 7 star PM stylist in Eastern USA.

I look forward for your sharing of material as well. Thank you.

Take care

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
06-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the support. I really appreciate that.

Warm regards

Robert