PDA

View Full Version : wing chun and tai chi...well, crosstraining,

nickle
06-09-2001, 06:55 PM
first of all, let me say (so i dont get flamed to cr@p) i do believe that wingchun is a complete system and you dont need to train in any other system to complete it.
lol

anyways...im doing Wing Chun, just started amok! knife fighing and have just started Hung Gar.

i really like the idea of tai chi...

do you people think that doing all of this is going to confuse me and bring down the skill of my wingchun, or hinder its process???

wing chun is and always will be my primary art. im not learning hung gar to add to it or anything, i do HG to contradict my WC and to get fit. i do knife because i feel its an essential in modern south africa, in the same way that if someone gives a gun to you to hold, you want to knkow how to put the safety on.

i just think tai chi is interesting.
....well hope i get some response...

-specialization is for ants-

Wongsifu
06-09-2001, 11:45 PM
My take on things Do tai chi for the internal and wing chun or hung gar, Not both.
Reason is that wing chun and hung gar are two opposing styles of fighting and if you are a begginer you wont be able to handle all of it. Tai chi however Goes with anything mainly because its too hard to fight with :) lol
The benefits you gain from it will help you else where.
I would also do the knife fighting because it is fun.
But as i said wing chun is fast and quick closing the gap etc hung gar is solid powerful. Choose one in the beggining, Personally I find wing chun one of the easiest styles to pick up and use. Hung gar is much more challenging tai chi is the hardest by far.
I started off in WC about 4 years of it, the bugger is its still a bit in my system and i prefer fighting hung gar style, I PERSONALLY find it superior for different reasons mainly due to the lack of a complete lineage after yip mans death. And hung gar being more traditional and bearing a lot more power, i never heard of a 16 minute street fight but I hear a lot of bouncers that like that 1 punch knockout.
Anyways tai chi just rules plain and simple If I were you I would just do tai chi and sod all else :) however failing that hung gar will prove better in the long run

Ive finally done it I can train longer by getting paid to do nothing , and my parents always called me lazy :)
get paid online http://www.spedia.net/cgi-bin/tz.cgi?run=show_svc&fl=8&vid=2475225

oldwolf
06-10-2001, 12:39 AM
Having said that I am eclectic (but not on medication), give yourself a good grounding in one style / system before diversifying. For me 26 years Karate, with some Aikido, Tae Kwon do (for my sins), Tai chi(Yang and Chen), Full contact etc. and now Wing Chun.
Happy hunting. :D :D :D

"And the crowd called out for more"

nickle
06-10-2001, 10:37 PM
thank guys... although i must say im not doing HG for the fighting aspect, rather to see the traditional power/stance/other stuff thats in it. i also love its forms and are doing them so i can get sponsorship to go overseas to do wing chun under the guise of doing hung gar (in competitions) although i will of course still do the hung gar...

tai chi seems interesting to me because of its connection with soft power and forwards motion that wing chun has. a girl in my class does tai chi and her chi sao is great because of her relaxed power... hope you know what i mean...

anyways...i am a beginner and i get what you are saying... hope im not becoming a gypsy...

cheers...

-specialization is for ants-

Chum Kil
06-10-2001, 11:16 PM
According to my Sifu, Tai Chi and Zhan Zhong has helped his Wing Chun. I started doing Tai Chi myself, but only having one class a week was just not enough.

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.

Sharky
06-14-2001, 01:06 PM
you're really lucky to be in the position to be able to goto a hung gar taji wing chun AND this amok thing! Take your time, find what is good for you.

If i were you, i'd do hung gar and taji, *OR* wing chun and taji, not hung gar AND wingchun tho. They're both southern styles, but the hung gar concentrates on the 5 animals as opposed to jsut 2 (snake crane) of wing chun - it's just... a different style...

Edd

My anus is superior™

Gluteus Maximus
06-14-2001, 06:25 PM
Come on, Edd. Just what is so good about it? (your anus)

Max :rolleyes: :eek: :D :) :p

Martial Joe
06-14-2001, 10:19 PM
It is superior you idiot~ :D

Martial Joe
06-14-2001, 10:26 PM
Hey max,what is your lineage.Ten hours,wow,I would most likely get very bored...

Sharky
06-15-2001, 01:24 AM
trademarking laws do not permit me to impart with that kind of information max. Sorry.

Just saw ANOTHER bruce lee "way of the dragon" dvd advert. Yawns all round...

Edd

My anus is superior™

[This message was edited by Sharky on 06-15-01 at 04:31 PM.]

tiger_1
06-15-2001, 03:20 AM
my friend im thinks final lewel inside kung fu world you can find in wing chun dnt nide tai or onthers style .but must work hard you im thinks dnt have complete your traning in wing chun .- just friendly and just my opinion tiger_1 ( and dnt ***ot wing chun is born of animal styles of kung fu tai c.chu. have smart side from cirkle that is be big mistake im like to say must learn to see first than you can be in fine lewel, must see wing chun planet good ) ;)

/

Gluteus Maximus
06-15-2001, 10:30 AM
Joe:

"It is superior you idiot~".

OK, point taken Joe. :D Mine's posterior. :p

"Hey max,what is your lineage.Ten hours,wow,I would most likely get very bored..."

That's because you're just a kid, Grasshopper, hehe! ;) :D

Sharky:

"trademarking laws do not permit me to impart with that kind of information max. Sorry."

LOL!!! Good one Sharky! :D :p

Cheers,
Max :eek: :D ;)

Martial Joe
06-15-2001, 08:54 PM
Yes,I am a kid,but a cool one.Wait that has nothing to do with it,anyway you never told me what lineage your from...

Sharky
06-15-2001, 09:14 PM
patronising someone cos of their age is really annoying

Edd

My anus is superior™

Gluteus Maximus
06-16-2001, 06:31 AM
"Yes,I am a kid,but a cool one.Wait that has nothing to do with it,anyway you never told me what lineage your from... "

I know you're cool Joe. That was only meant to be a joke. A dumb one, I know. My apologies. My lineage: Tsui Seung Tin.

Max

Sharky
06-16-2001, 07:24 PM

My anus is superior™

Martial Joe
06-17-2001, 01:22 AM
Tsui is my idol...
...I am also under his lineage...

Gluteus Maximus
06-17-2001, 01:02 PM
G'day Joe et al,

"Tsui is my idol...
...I am also under his lineage... "

That's great, Joe! :D Tsui's lineage is quite big in Australia, thanks to Sifu Jim Fung's schools, which is where I did my initial training. Sifu Fung learnt directly from Tsui Seung Tin and has been operating kwoons in South Australia and New South Wales for decades.

However, I've been living in an outback town in Western Australia, far from any cities, ever since I did my initial training :eek: . So I haven't been able to train with anyone for years :( . I do what training I can alone, and maintain my fitness to a high level, but have been weathering a Chi Sao drought for years :mad: . Luckily, I'm patient ;) . That's pretty well my story in a nutshell! :p

Anyway, best wishes to you Joe, and to all,

Max

dre_doggX
06-17-2001, 07:39 PM
even throug some of the moves are different some of the theory is relate. wingchu finds holes in the opponents defense and tai chi chuan uses the opponents engery agianst the opponent. Now both Bruce Lee and William Cheung did Tai chi and Wing CHun. the higher skills of wing chun like pushing when an opponent wants to retreat, or pull when a opponent comes are fundmental in tai chi chuan fighting.

In English: GO FOR IT

Andre Lashley

JasBourne
06-17-2001, 08:26 PM
I don't 'study' Tai Chi per se, but I do use some Tai Chi stuff to help me in my training. For instance, I do the 'yang short form' every morning to wake myself up (ok, maybe not *every* morning - I am so not a morning person!), as well to help me strengthen my knees and improve my balance.