PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the centerline

Stranger
06-10-2001, 12:41 AM
If an opponent's centerline is in constant rotation along a vertical axis (as in a pakua fighter's twisting) would this be a particularly difficult adversary for the WC fighter to overcome? I read this thought expressed on one of the threads and I would appreciate any further info.

"Luminous beings are we."

Watchman
06-10-2001, 02:10 AM
Nope, not at all. The centerline isn't a "surface concept", meaning If you turn I don't try to continue to "face front". In fact, the more you spin the better.

The centerline is nothing more than a reference point which gives you a pathway to your opponent's balance and power. Imagine a pole that runs down through the top of your head, intersecting your center of gravity. Your body spins on this point the way a merry-g-round does.

If you spin or turn, I simply cut toward that "coreline" like you would cut toward the center of a pie, which can be done from any direction and any angle -- which is the reason Wing Chun teaches you to square your shoulders on the opponent when you fight because it makes it more difficult for the enemy to "cut to the center".

Using your analogy of a Bagua fighter twisting...it doesn't create a problem for me at all (and actually makes it easier for me) because when he twists he gives up his center and gives me an easy path to that coreline where I can capture his balance and power - and finish the fight.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.
-- Tzu-kung

Stranger
06-10-2001, 02:31 AM
Gotcha. I am just trying to visualize the application and contrast of some of these theories. I am unfamiliar with either art except for 10 sec. video clips and articles.

"Luminous beings are we."