PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on Training Intensity

mantis108
06-27-2004, 12:36 PM
On the intensity thread, an interesting topic came up. It is about training intensity and different issues concerning that. I like Oso's H.I.I.T. guideline. I think Yu Shan brought up a great point about student's responsibility about physical fitness which can be achieve with what I would call Condition Cross Training.

I believe that both Condition Cross Training (CCT) and High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.) can compliment each other. I think CCT (as Yu Shan described) can be done on student's own time while we use H.I.I.T. during class to monitor progress of students' actual condition. In a sense H.I.I.T. is like a boost on the conditioning. IMHO traditional Kung Fu that has focus on fighting is already a type of H.I.I.T. For example, we can start with a beginner form, usually quite short (20-30 sec if performed in high intensity), 5 times with 30 secs or so active recess (strolling), then we do another intermediate form (usually longer), and then some advanced form more or less reaches the minute/minute and a half mark. Drills can be treated in the same manner.

In my class, we go for 30 mins to 45 mins " warm up" session. That includes all cardio, stretching, warm up kicks, break falling, calisthenics and stuff. Then we do the 8 basic stances, monkey walk, etc... Then drills and forms. I would aim for 5 mins per interval per drill. I think Muay Thai would go with 4-6 mins per interval during training. Sparring (live drills) would be incoporated into drilling as well. We would cool down with 18 Lohan which is now the first form beside the 8 basic stances that my students would learn from me. One a side note, the applications of 18 Lohan and Gongliquan are quite similar. To me they compliment each other well. It won't affect the curriculum that was designed by GM Chiu even if we learn 18 Lohan first.

BTW, stone lock exercises both solo and partnered would be a good H.I.I.T. activity too. Shuai Jiao Pole would be a great one as well.

Mantis108

Oso
06-27-2004, 02:58 PM
The longer term goal is to get the students to be able to go for 3 minute intervals at full or near full speed. About a year ago I got to spar with a young (I think he was about 27-28) but certified pro boxer and 5 3-minute rounds with him was a looooong freaking time. So, I have set that as my ideal interval time in my own cardio training and am working the students up to that. I don't anticipate ever getting anybody into a MMA/NHB event where they are looking at 6-9 minutes straight so if they can work up to 3 minutes at full intensity then the 1-2 minute rounds in local comps should be nothing to them.

Our sparring is basically done in 3 minute rounds as well.

I totally agree that it is up to the student to strength/cardio train but I think the hobbyist is wanting it all in the same package. So, in my class they will eventually hit a point where they are getting 20 minutes of good straight cardio and 20 minutes of stretching and 80 minutes of 'kung fu'.

mantis108
06-27-2004, 04:40 PM
I hear you and I totally understand the rationale behind it.

Personally, I like the 3 rounds of 5 minutes with one minute rest in between format. Right now, I have 2 students that could handle 2 rounds of 5 minute with 2 mins rest (but one left town already :( ). BTW, the last minute is pretty lame but it's getting there. This would be for the students to learn the value of combat rhythm - Dance, Charge, and Coast. They would also understand the virtue of good defense and conditioning beside a good oppotunity to play with techniques (have a bit of fun). They'd have to know their own condition and plan the strategy accordingly well if they were to last that long. I do understand the value of going full intensity in a shorter interval. But I like the knowing how much it is needed and double the needed time kind of philosophy. The other way to go around the long round is to finish the opponent first. So there's an incentive to go full intensity. ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and class plan.

Warm regards

Mantis108