PDA

View Full Version : So it's just me that didn't know that there were knee's in wing chun?

Sharky
06-10-2001, 05:31 AM
????? :confused: ?????

Watchman (sorry if it was someone else) told me that when he was starting wc, he practiced loads of kneeing. Other people who do wc in teh general forum have also said there are knee's in wc. I have never been tought kneeing or ever associated it with wing chun - have you?

Is my school actually a load of bollocks?

Kamon wing chun (http://www.kamonwingchun.com)

Edd

My anus is superior

Martial Joe
06-10-2001, 05:53 AM
Gosh Shacky,this is realy hard on you huh? :D

Watchman
06-10-2001, 05:55 AM
Yup, that was me who said I was knee crazy when I was back in the 'ol beginning phase of my training.

Tiu Sut, Biu Sut, Ngoi Sut, and Oi Sut. I love 'em! :D

Sharky
06-10-2001, 06:11 AM
**** right this is hard on me! It's like finding out that your mother isn't really your mother, but infact, YOUR SISTER! Or something.

It's not the art i thought it was, clearly. It's just, while i by no means knew the know system, i knew OF the whole system, and basically knew what i'd be learning. And now this gets thrown in. Basically, should i leave this school?

Edd

My anus is superior™

Sharky
06-10-2001, 06:12 AM
my reasoning being if they have held back a whole "range" of strikes, what else is being left out?

Edd

My anus is superior™

Martial Joe
06-10-2001, 06:18 AM
If you decide to leeve,I wouldnt try stopping you.But bext time you go there,ask them about knees,and then write back on the forum what they said and how rediculas it is!

Sharky
06-10-2001, 06:20 AM
ok sure. as u may know i haven't been for a while. im going back first tuesday of july. i'll ask about knee's. if he doesnt say/know anything bout it, i won't go.... i'll keep u posted....

Edd

My anus is superior™

jameswebsteruk
06-10-2001, 12:47 PM
Hey Sharkey.

Wong Shun Leung was having a fight one time (like he did) and when his opponent had dropped to the ground, Wong finished him with a knee.
Some Kung Fu elders were watching the challenge fight, and were criticising him for an apparent non-classical move.
He replied that his knee was the nearest weapon to the target, the guys head, and that was Wing Chun. Makes sense to me. The concepts of WC are more important then any actual techniques.

On the Kamon side of things, I went to a demo of the system in Watford a few weeks ago, and wasnt particularly impressed either way, positive or negative.

Do they teach the forms? There was no mention of it in the demo, it all seemed to be speed and the same techniques over and over again. No stances either.

Hel, why not come on down to the WSL school in St.Albans (1/2 hour from Kings Cross on Thameslink). We are a friendly bunch and like visitors from other styles. We currently have Hung Gar, Kickboxers and Tang Soo Do practioners training. :)

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

Sharky
06-10-2001, 01:04 PM
yeh they teach forms, and of course they teach basic yi gee kim nu ma (spelling etc).

"Hel, why not come on down to the WSL school in St.Albans (1/2 hour from Kings Cross on Thameslink). We are a friendly bunch and like visitors from other styles. We currently have Hung Gar, Kickboxers and Tang Soo Do practioners training."

I would love to. Bit of a hassle - i live sw london tho. Used to live in kings cross :/

Which was is saint albans from kings cross - east or west? i've been to st alabans b4 but have can't really remember where it is! You have hung gar! EXCELLENT. I have always wanted to study 5 animals (i am correct in this link between the two yes?). Even tho i am SO bad at wing chun, not having practiced for a while, i would still feel like a quitter to "my style" if i stopped now. Maybe do wc for another 10 years before i switch styles :D

Can u tell me how to get there by tube? Is it on the picadilly or district lines?

Thanks!

Edd

My anus is superior™

Sharky
06-10-2001, 01:07 PM
frank was sifu kevin chan at that watford seminar thing? apparently he is AMWAZING. even tho i went to this chain of schools for a while - i never saw him.

Apparently his skill is undeniable - and he is all catagory (as in all weights) world bjj champion or something. Read the blurb on the homepage kamon (http://www.kamonwingchun.com)

Edd

My anus is superior™

chi sau
06-11-2001, 07:13 PM
i saw kevin chan do a demo .his technique/form is vey good but yours would be to if you did nothing else all day but train wing chun
and he stuck with the basic moves .
there was way too much heiracht involved in that organisation for my liking
kamon has no sparring in its classes so how do you pressure test what you have learnt???

jameswebsteruk
06-11-2001, 07:39 PM
Sorry, I probably didnt explain myself very well. :)
We dont train in Hung Gar and Kickboxing, we have students who also train in those styles. We teach the Wong Shun Leung method of WC. The point I was making was that we are very open and informal. if you want to watch a class, do some chisao or just ask questions, no problem. I have heard recently about a few schools that insist on a month's fee in advance before you can even watch a class, so I was trying to distance us from that sort of bull.

We have a few people who come from South London, also from as far afield as Leicester and Southhampton, so S.London aint too far! Easy for me to say, I live 10 minutes from St.Albans. :)

St.Albans is not on a tube line unfortunately, but go to Kings Cross Thameslink, and you can take the mainline train north towards Bedford, St.Albans is about 20 minutes from KC. The school is about 15 minutes walk from the station. If you want, take a look at the website, which has Clive's (instructor) contact numbers, etc.

http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/

As for Kevin Chan, seen him twice at two demos. He is very, very fast. His chisao had lots of holes, but he got away with it, cause of his speed. What concerned me about the teaching, from the admittedly small amount I saw, was the emphasis on robotic drills, same moves over and over again. Didnt seem much room for variation, for flowing and changing when things didnt go right. But, I have not trained there, so cant comment with any authority. :)

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

FUJIYakumo
06-11-2001, 08:31 PM
hey you guys from the uk, i'm stuck in east london, do either of you know any good wc kwoons around london (live in stratford, work in picadilly circus/oxfordstreet area)... ??

-Stu, Lifestyle Wing Chun, Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.lifestylewingchun.com

Sharky
06-11-2001, 08:47 PM
there is austin gohs (in the urdang acadamy )in covent garden - right near pinapple studios - ironically where there is the main branch of kamon wing chun.

I used to goto austin gohs, and have been to a different branch (the one near me that im talking about). I don't think that i'll be going back to kamon - they don't spar for a start.

Austin goh has lessons every day for, when i was there a year ago, £50 a month which i think is v reasonable - most lessons are 1h but i think twice a week it's one and a half or two - then there's the tai chi once a week where u can go an hour early and do taichi. does mean that you'll get home really late every night and have no social life like i had - it takes it's toll on you going to kung fu straight after work etc....

i thought it was good but austin goh's teaching style may not be to your liking - i couldn't tell if he actually didn't care etc, or if he was using that as a teaching tactic. plus i don't think it's 100% trad wing chun - there's a lot of stuff which i don't think was wc, but i can't even remember tbh. He's a good kung fu fighter, and as far as his credentials go, he is genuinely good - dunno bout the school. I may be moving to near bracknell so am looking for schools near there, but i don't mind changing to 5 animals or mantis or anything really so if u know of anything round there... i know there's a lau gar place there but... im a bit picky of what i'd change to.

Remember dude it's hard to find a GOOD school. I've been to austin goh AND kamon and im not actually sure if they are good or not... i always have doubts - but im startin to think that if i got taught by yip man himself i'd have doubts etc....

Edd

My anus is superior™

jameswebsteruk
06-12-2001, 10:55 AM
If you cant make to the Wong Shun Leung school just outside London in St.Albans (plug, plug), then you have many choices.

I wouldnt recommend Austin Goh, for identical reasons to Sharkey. Whilst the man himself is very very good, his teaching totally sux. I learnt more in one evening class at the WSL school than I did in a month at Austin Goh.

My instructor has always said that of all the other schools in London, Victor Kan's is probably the best, in that they teach a no-nonsense, traditional form of wc, geared towards fighting. There is a load of krappy politics going on there at the moment, and whilst Victor himself may or may not be an unpleasant character (based on who you listen to), he was a contemporary of Wong Shun Leung, so should know what he is talking about.

popsider
06-12-2001, 12:01 PM
Isn't Paul Whitrod's Southern Mantis school located in Stratford on the Romford Road - just on the left as you go towards Forest Gate?

For wc The Basement isn't totally the other side of London from what I remember.

harry_the_monk
06-12-2001, 12:21 PM
ok, I've only just started out, and I may be naive, but I reckon its all down to practise, and until you can whop your sifus arse, he still has stuff to teach you...as does all people who can whop your arse. :D
Not meant to seem contoversial, but just the way I see it as a beginner...and as a beginner with all the politics going on, I just want to concentrate on what I can learn from my sifu, and not on what everyone else is learning...
Peace.... :D

Sharky
06-12-2001, 02:20 PM
harry it's a hinderance to you if you don't have a good sifu.

I forgot about victor kan - he is indeed excellent - but he's always been to far away from me. there's simon lau in kensington high street - he's supposed to be wicked but when i sent off for information all i found was pictures of some swishy pad with air conditioning and plants and basically he didn't tell me anything about his wing chun - just how good his place is! Also when i saw the price i nearly fainted - just for one lesson a week!

Victor kan gets my vote - make sure u don't goto one of his "evil" students's school - he's set up school somewhere in london - but victor kicked him out before he'd even learnt the third from.

Get a copy of combat magazine (it's actually not THAT bad a magazine) and look in the back through the schools directory. Make sure it's combat magazine cos they have the biggest listings directory.

I have to admit there are loads in london - just nothing i've been impressed with. THere's yellow mantis (!) that's i've been to see and i just thought the people there weren#'t really very good fighters, and basically i think the average street thug could 'ave 'em. This is the first thing that i do when i walk into a new school - i look at the students with the highest belts/sashes and mentally judge them... (then challenge them to a duel to the death :D )

I'm still looking! As we maybe moving to near windsor, braknell etc if anyone has any info on schools there then i'd be really grateful.

Nice to be in contact with a wing chun london posse :)

Thanks

Edd

My anus is superior™

harry_the_monk
06-12-2001, 05:22 PM
A good friend of mine has been doing chi-kung with Simon Lau for about 10 years, and speaks very highly of him(as do a few other people who I have heard have been). They reckon the money is worth it, but unfortunately I am unable to make his classes due to other commitments. Maybe you should check him out.(although when I rang up and asked if I could watch a class the guy on the other end of the phone[not Simon Lau] told me I had to come to the lessons and not just watch.):(

As far as finding a good sifu goes, I have been searching around for a while, and I'm quite happy with the one who shows me his art now. I think you have to find a sifu that you can connect with as well as respect. I know that teaching people anything is hard, as in my job I'm constantly training people up, and sometimes people just don't get what I'm teaching them, and I have also trained up some really good people. Maybe just being naive again, who knows? I just thought we were supposed to be doing all this in the simplist way possible. ;) Anyway, big-up the london WC posse :D

Kaitain(UK)
06-12-2001, 08:35 PM
there's a Samuel Kwok guy in Croydon called Anton who trains at the MA shop in the InShops on Tuesday and Thursday nights - if you're interested email me and I'll get the class times and so forth

Two of my WC friends train there now after moving from a Kamon school in Beckenham - apparently they were fed up with paying a fortune for not very much return.

Anton is much cooler apparently - he spent 3 hours at my friends house last week teaching him the first 5 sections of the dummy. For free. That's a Sifu who is dedicated to his students.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

diego
06-14-2001, 08:02 AM
i dont trian wc but i was told by one of my seniors to study it to help my particular style,you seem to have a great liking but a great unsurity?? or memory of wcsz facets.......

if i could i would learn wsl wing chun like that??THAT RIGHT THERE 8)..

SERIOUSLY,learn wong shun lueng wing chun
or you are an idiot,fa'reall....u just bin introduced so take it its in front OF YOU MAN WHAT YOU DOING GO

OR MAY YOU FOREVOR DRIVE A PINTO AND EVERY HARVEST GYPSIES WILL **** AS THEY SIT UPON AND PRAISE THE ANCESTORS???????/////

CHEK THAT SCHOOL OUT

also goto wingchunkuen.com

it has all the wc info you should need
plus crazy links...........PEACE
n peace to your doorstep resinacrak butts SSHHEEESH :)

Sharky
06-15-2001, 01:19 AM
there's a place in reading that's wong shun lueng, so i may go have a look

My anus is superior™

harry_the_monk
06-15-2001, 10:41 AM
Hope you find what you're looking for there mate.

Peace... :)

jameswebsteruk
06-15-2001, 08:02 PM
Do you know is representing WSL in Reading? Dont know of any other instructors in the uk.

Sharky
06-15-2001, 09:08 PM
Lucas Castrounis was tought by Nino Bernardo at the basement and he was tought by wsl. The website is www.teamwingchun.com. (http://www.teamwingchun.com.) You can call them on 01189 788 616

Sifu lucas seems to have his head screwed on - get the latest edition of combat magazine - i did, just for that article.

I'm not moving near there though anymore :( :( :( :( which means i can't continue to do wing chun.

Harsh. I am gonna switch to tiger crane i thing... not my fault all the wing chun round here is fake...

Edd

My anus is superior™