PDA

View Full Version : PTP - Cliff notes?

Serpent
06-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Hey guys

Can one of you run down the basic premise of the PTP program that gets mentioned so much around here?

Cheers

Toby
06-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Assuming I'm experienced enough to offer advice:

(1) Take a few compound lifts. Pavel advises side press and deadlift. Lots (including me) do variations on bench, squat, deadlift and pullups. Not too many exercises per workout, though.

(2) For each exercise do a set of 4-6 reps at some nominal weight. If you know your 1RM, take something safe like 60-70% of it. Do another set of 4-6 reps at 90% of the previous set's weight. Rest at least 3min between sets/exercises to ensure ATP recovery.

(3) Next workout increase your 1st set by 5lb. The 2nd set is now 90% of the new weight.

(4) Increase each day by 5lb for a cycle. Cycles generally last 10 or so lift days for a basic linear cycle (increase every day). You can vary with step cycles, wave cycles, etc. I've done a wave that lasted 4 weeks and didn't mind it but the last couple of waves got a bit taxing.

(5) Never go to failure. If you fail at a lift, stop the cycle. Next cycle you know your limit so work it out so you finish around your limit (less, more, whatever you're aiming for). Otherwise, if you make the lift at the end of a cycle, start the next cycle 5lb heavier.

That's pretty much it. Fatigue is low. Soreness is low. It won't interfere with your MA. It builds strength but not size. You can do it in a very short time. Purpose is to train neurological pathways to increase efficiency of your muscular system. I.e. overcome your self-imposed safety limits. Etc, etc. I go up by 2.5kg each time since our weights are measured properly ;).

IronFist
06-28-2004, 11:32 PM
wtf I already replied to this thread. Where'd it go?