PDA

View Full Version : broken forum and bad behavior

rubthebuddha
06-29-2004, 08:58 AM
not sure what happened yesterday, but apparently a day or so's worth of postings are missing. my guess is that gene and johnny were all guinessed up and one of them spilled a pint on the server before it had a chance to back itself up for the day.

regardless, most of yesterday's posts won't be missed, but we did have some gems:

1. mk linked us to a pikey fight.
2. i got to make fun of bill phillips. twice.

i think that's about it. the majority of the rest was crap, for one specific reason -- insults. i've warned you hosers time and again:

you can argue all you want, you can discuss to your heart's content, but do NOT insult another forum member. if you feel the need to do so, think about who the bigger dolt is -- the one who antagonizes another person on the web, or the one who lets him or herself be antagonized by someone they don't know, much less respect.

Oso
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
well, I hope someone beats them soundly for the waste of a good pint. :p

and the old smilies are back !

I didn't trust those new guys.

yenhoi
06-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Does this mean whipping hand is un-banned?

Isent calling the forum hosers and dolts kinda like insulting forum members?

:confused:

David Jamieson
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
don't insult me with your hoser and dolt comments you dolt hoser!

:p

GeneChing
06-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Yesterday, we were informed by vBulletin that all vBulletin forums were under attack from a malicious hacker. There is a known flaw in the older versions, so we were advised to upload a newer version or a patch to prevent losing our data. The process took www.KungFuMagazine.com offline for a period last night, and there's still some problems that we have yet to resolve. Our IT man Jake, worked late into the evening here, then took an admin computer home last night to resolve the problem. We believe it's resolved now, but there are still some things that we are ironing out, so we might experience a little bugginess. Sorry for the inconvience - such is the nature of the net.

And shame on you selfish members who thought a few hour blip on the forum was all about YOU. :p

rubthebuddha
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
thanks for the update, gene, but i still think guiness had something to do with it.

Isent calling the forum hosers and dolts kinda like insulting forum members? well, i meant "hosers" in the brotherly way that bob and doug always used. and dolts ... hm ... what excuse do i have for dolts ... well, i'll just have to fall back on my title. just cause i moderate other people's behavior doesn't mean i myself am moderate. :D

David Jamieson
06-29-2004, 10:15 AM
hey that's my line! :mad:

hoser! :p

GeneChing
06-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Oh man, I wish it was about the Guinness. I wish. It was really just a ****ty Monday here at the office. :(

rubthebuddha
06-29-2004, 10:24 AM
if that's the case, then tuesday BETTER be all about the guiness. :D

GeneChing
06-29-2004, 10:33 AM
...he worked until 3 AM fixing the forum et. al., last night. And he's still working on it. He says now that we came within moments of LOSING THE ENTIRE FORUM. :eek: **** malicious hacker. :mad:

If anyone deserves a Guinness, and our heartfelt thanks, it's our man Jake!

Fu-Pow
06-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Ok RTB...I'll cut out the insults....however....it better be enforced uniformly. It seems that you are getting on my case when there has been plenty of this kind of stuff going around the forum for a long time. :rolleyes: :p

In other words. Any insults I see I'm gonna flag. But I'd better see some intervention on your part or I'm gonna assume you are picking and choosing your targets.

Starchaser107
06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
figured that this was bigger than it seemed.

malicious web attacks... (sigh).
hope today is a better day.

GeneChing
06-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Well, we're still picking up the pieces. We had 1500+ error messages in our email, plus several dozen complaints/comments about the lost threads and such. So no Guinness yet - but we're about to celebrate the B-day of a Tiger Claw (http://www.tigerclaw.com) office manager, so at least there will be a little cake.

red5angel
06-29-2004, 02:57 PM
i've warned you hosers time and again:

:mad: That's it!!!! You meet me at Taichi Legacy and I'll have you whipped in 7 minutes 32 seconds flat with hundreds of wtinesses. I'll even call in CNN to film it so we have a record of me, whippin yo' butt, without using grappling and while dancing!!!!

:D

Banjos_dad
06-29-2004, 03:30 PM
"Morpheus.
"I need cyber defense capability.

"**uploading"

#
^
\

/
<
%
~

@
+
:
:
"
'

#
\
:
/
{
\
O
|
"

"**uploading.......done!:"

There. Now next time it happens, your server will rip a powerpole out of the ground & whoop @ss on whoever tries to hack.

scotty1
06-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks Jake!

GeneChing
06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, things seem to be back in place, more or less. We're now running a more current version of vBulletin, so you'll find some changes to your membership applications, if you bother to look at those. There's more changes in admin, but nothing that will affect the moderators. Let me know how it runs for you all.

In the end, 'black monday 2004' made me realize how fragile the net can be. It gave me a bit more perspective on the flame wars and such, especially given the people who complained all indignant that their posts were lost. I lost posts too (why doesn't lost and post rhyme?) but we came disturbingly close to losing it all. We're attached to the luusion of permanence here on the forum becuase we can search up all these old threads, but really, it's just a cluster of stored digital files that could disappear in the blink of an eye.

norther practitioner
06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
st is one sound.. then there is the whole hard O v the soft one...

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
It was me. I did it. Some big fat laughing dude with a look of utter peace paid me to do it, might've been Dom Delouise, said it had something to do with lettuce blooming and karma or something. Would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for that Gene Ching and his talking dog.

David Jamieson
06-30-2004, 12:40 PM
...and the mango tree.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2004, 12:44 PM
And, unless I miss my count, 17 boiled eggs.

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Mmmmm...boiled eggs. God's way of keeping Easter Sunday free of anti-abortion rallies.

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Just trying to stay on topic. Hosers.

MasterKiller
06-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
It gave me a bit more perspective on the flame wars and such, especially given the people who complained all indignant that their posts were lost. I just figured I was being slapped on the wrist for extending an invitation to Red5.

Originally posted by red5angel
:mad: That's it!!!! You meet me at Taichi Legacy and I'll have you whipped in 7 minutes 32 seconds flat with hundreds of wtinesses. I'll even call in CNN to film it so we have a record of me, whippin yo' butt, without using grappling and while dancing!!!! The invitation still stands.

red5angel
07-01-2004, 08:12 AM
bwahahahahaha!!! I told you MK, if you can atleast promie to extend my a$$ whuppin to 7 minutes or so I may make it, but 5 minutes is just not enough time for me to come down to get my butt handed to me by you.

Also, you have to promise to use some of that fancy shaolin stuff on me too, otherwise I'll have no respect and have to take it to the ground to prove your kungfu is weak.

red5angel
07-01-2004, 08:14 AM
besides MK, unless your practicing wing chun ;), what's a scrawny little guy like you going to do to a beefcake like me? I got mad skeewz.

FatherDog
07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
And, unless I miss my count, 17 boiled eggs.

*honk honk*

GeneChing
07-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for that Gene Ching and his talking dog. I'm ready for my scooby snack.

FatherDog
07-01-2004, 09:57 AM
besides MK, unless your practicing wing chun ;), what's a scrawny little guy like you going to do to a beefcake like me? I got mad skeewz.

Pick up your tiny yapping dog and throw it at you? :D

red5angel
07-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Pick up your tiny yapping dog and throw it at you?

Touching the corgi is almost certain death for even the most highly skilled ninja or samurai! Shaolin monks have no chance!!!! Just ask KC Elbows, he'll tell you how deadly my corgi can be, especially after you shake him a little.:eek:

KC Elbows
07-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Just ask KC Elbows, he'll tell you how deadly my corgi can be, especially after you shake him a little.:eek:

...and if you shake me a lot, you're likely to see "the deadly dachsund".:eek:

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Basenjiujitsu (http://members.tripod.com/adm/interstitial/remote.jpg) is superior.

rubthebuddha
07-02-2004, 12:55 PM
as GDA will agree, shep (http://www.chazhound.com/images/dutch.jpg)kido owns all.

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2004, 12:56 PM
more Basenji (http://hi-countrybasenji.org/jan_02/SpiderandFlame10wks.jpg)ujitu - nice use of the gaurd!

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Crawdad style practioner facing off against several baseniujitsuka. (http://www.basenjiclubnsw.org/postcard.jpg)

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2004, 01:03 PM
http://www.bostonbull.de/giubas2.JPG

At first I thought this was a french bulldog demonstrating savate. But no - it's a boston bully. Good clinchwork, tho.

The Willow Sword
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
My dog will Kick your Dogs stuffed toys' A$$ :D

Chang Style Novice
07-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Heh - the 10 year old airedale, Daisy (seen below looking very relaxed and regal) actually killed a 10 lb raccoon in the backyard last week.

I'm pleased to say she's up to date on rabies and distemper shots.

The Willow Sword
07-03-2004, 10:13 PM
the raccoon was drunk from all that beer you drink and abuse by leaving warm half flilled cans in your yard CSN.
;)

Had the raccoon been sober then welll,,i dare not say:eek:

Peace,,TWS