PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun & Grappling...

Martial Joe
06-10-2001, 11:25 PM
Grappling And Wing Chun will be the greatest for crosstraining.As you all know im a wing chun guy.I like to wrestle my friends and since I have been in wing chun I just totaly kill them now.I am telling you that learning how to stick like Chi Sau in wresltling and not going against the force.Lets just say a few common things in WC,can realy help grapplers.It is incredible how much I have gotten better at submission stuff since wing chun.Who would have known.What do you guys think of this.

Joe Kavey

Martial Joe
06-10-2001, 11:28 PM
I left a couple things out.I think that grapplers should look into WC.They can improve there stand up by like 100%(haha) and there sensitivity will be better...

dumog93
06-11-2001, 05:27 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are on this.Of course,i came from the other side so to speak having a wrestling background in school and a few years out of school.Sensitivity is sensitivity whether on the ground or on your feet and the two cross over in many areas and seem to work pretty synergistically.It makes sense if you think about it.Both tend to dominate centerline,both are highly dependent on body positioning,and economy of motion is central to both.But it isn't just wrestling,but other styles/schools of thought that can benefit from wing chun theories.

semper fi,

-Devildog

Martial Joe
06-12-2001, 05:09 AM
Wing Chun is wonderful,what can I say.Well your the wrestler here so you tell me,did it help you move with people better?

Wing Chun made is much harder for people to get a hold of me also.When i am on the ground it seems I control the person so much easier then before...

dumog93
06-14-2001, 04:43 AM
but i will say it has helped me quite a bit to this point,especially in dealing with people that like to go force on force.In the past i was more of a egotistical grappler.If someone grabbed me,i'd just grab back harder.If they tried to throw,we'd both lock horns so to speak and fight it out strength-wise.Wasted energy is something i try to avoid when i can now that i'm not endowed with a limitless supply like i was at 136 pounds.It's something i'm still working through though and i become more relaxed and smooth as the weeks pass by.I still think there is a time and a place for use of extreme force,just not nearly as often as i once did.Now i find myself looking for the shortest,most economic route to get me where i want to go and try to make everything i use more efficient where i can.Has it helped me? Tremendously.But also i would say my body positioning on the ground that i learned from wrestling helped my positioning in the wing chun.What i'm trying to say is that there are laws of physics and mechanics of motion that are common to all styles and that at some point i would like to be able to blur the lines between the two.

-Devildog