PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Shaolin in LA

Shanlee
06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi guys, the post had been wiped due to problems with the boards yesterday.

I just moved to the Los Angeles area and I'm looking for a good Shaolin school to continue my training at. I forgot who replied to one of my posts, but there was one school suggested.

I found this website for a monk, Shindo Shaolin Temple Los Angeles (http://shaolintemplelosangeles.com/) . Does anyone know anything about this monk? I've never heard of him or his Korean Shoalin Temple he trained at. I do not know much about how Shaolin came into Korea and how it developed in Korea. My knowledge is more of just the Chinese aspects that I've read about.

MasterKiller
06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
I've heard this guy is a joke.

But, that's just what I've heard.

His URL used to be something like furiousmonk.com

Shanlee
06-29-2004, 11:01 AM
hehe after more reading...he's been known as the 'Terrible Monk'

I wonder why?:confused: :D

herb ox
06-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Viewing his photo gallery, I can see the brother can get some air time and his flexibility and form looks pretty good.

Let's see, he's got the authentic vest, orange pants and a bald head... His video collection includes some great National Geographic footage of monks... he's got a "Shaolin Gong Fu Black Belt Superior Grade" for 10 years of miscellaneous study....

I dunno, I think he's the real thing, guys....

:rolleyes: .... :D

herb ox
06-29-2004, 11:57 AM
sorry for the ol' 2 posts in a row trick...

but you gotta check out this guy's fee schedule:

http://shaolintemplelosangeles.com/classschedule.htm

I've been really screwing up the past few years - from now on I'm requiring my students to make a donation in addition to their tuitions. Oh, but wait, I could just incorporate the donation into the tuition... yeah, yeah... then I could still ask for the donation on top of that!:D

More indication this guy is the real thing: There is a Kyongju Temple in Pulguk-sa, Korea - in fact, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. See http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/kyongju.html

I'd really like to learn his Ching Chong Fist...:p

h. ox

Shanlee
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
hehe, I have a Superior grade leather belt, it's black. But it's really not that good of a belt...my pants keep falling down still.

I never would have thought it would be this hard to find a Shaolin school here. I guess I should have moved to SF, Vegas or Texas.

What is UNESCO? Sorry if I'm somewhat ignorant to this. I've never had to encounter imposters and stuff.

And Ching Chong fist just doesn't sound right. I've never heard of that.

Shaolinlueb
06-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Shanlee
And Ching Chong fist just doesn't sound right. I've never heard of that.

sounds like a racist joke to play.

i'd like to see an actual video of this guy doing stuff. just curious.

norther practitioner
06-29-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't see anything of them doing anything on there video wise...

They have a clip in front of the Shaolin Temple, a wushu clip, etc...

herb ox
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
It stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - "seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity . "

I remember hearing something about the current Shaolin Abbot trying to get Shaolin Temple listed as a UNESCO site.

h. ox

Shanlee
06-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by herb ox
It stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - "seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity . "

I remember hearing something about the current Shaolin Abbot trying to get Shaolin Temple listed as a UNESCO site.

h. ox

Ahh I see, I though UNESCO was some kind of internation martial art association.:D

There is only one Abbot of Shaolin correct? Or does the Korean Shaolin Temples have their own Abbot?

I mean if this dude was legit, wouldn't he be covered on the cover as, "Terrible Monk" takes over LA with Shaolin Temple? As most of our Chinese brothers are featured thoughout many types of media, I'm afraid this is the first time I've ever heard or seen him.

I'm just trying to be careful as I'm not familiar with any schools on the west coast, so I'm trying to avoid getting taken for a ride.

Shaolinlueb
06-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Ahh I see, I though UNESCO was some kind of internation martial art association.:D

There is only one Abbot of Shaolin correct? Or does the Korean Shaolin Temples have their own Abbot?

I mean if this dude was legit, wouldn't he be covered on the cover as, "Terrible Monk" takes over LA with Shaolin Temple? As most of our Chinese brothers are featured thoughout many types of media, I'm afraid this is the first time I've ever heard or seen him.

I'm just trying to be careful as I'm not familiar with any schools on the west coast, so I'm trying to avoid getting taken for a ride.

how long you been taking kung fu? look up Sifu Kisu at http://www.harmoniousfist.com ive been told good things about him and his demo as good.

Shanlee
06-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I've taken Kung fu for about year, training 3 times a week. It's not traditional Shaolin that i've done. I've covered Tan Tui and basic sparring and kicks. My teacher also taught us some Bagua and Chin Na. So I'm basically rather young in my training. But I'm not getting any younger, hehe. I've done a seminar of training with Shi Li Peng in Atlanta as well.

But I would love to learn traditional Shaolin and/or Bak Sil Lum.

I've tried contacting Sifu Kisu and have not heard back from him.

Shaolinlueb
06-29-2004, 06:26 PM
I've taken Kung fu for about year, training 3 times a week. It's not traditional Shaolin that i've done. I've covered Tan Tui and basic sparring and kicks. My teacher also taught us some Bagua and Chin Na. So I'm basically rather young in my training. But I'm not getting any younger, hehe. I've done a seminar of training with Shi Li Peng in Atlanta as well.

But I would love to learn traditional Shaolin and/or Bak Sil Lum.

I've tried contacting Sifu Kisu and have not heard back from him.

best bet is to go down to the kwoon when he is there. tan tui, the 10 or 12 roads one?

Shanlee
06-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
best bet is to go down to the kwoon when he is there. tan tui, the 10 or 12 roads one?

12 Roads Tan Tui. My master's brother from China taught us the Tan Tui, he trained in a Chin Woo school.

Shaolinlueb
06-30-2004, 07:34 AM
12 Roads Tan Tui. My master's brother from China taught us the Tan Tui, he trained in a Chin Woo school.

nice.
are you going to go down to Sifu Kisu's school?

Shanlee
06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
That's the problem, there is no address for his school on his website. Nothing shows up in the phonebook for Harmonious Fist. I haven't clue where the school is.

herb ox
06-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Try the phone number on the contact page of the harmoniousfist.com site. I've seen Sifu Kisu in action - he's got skill, and he's a Bak Sil Lum guy, though his expression of BSL has a slightly different flair than what I'm used to. But that's the way it is, right?

As for the monkus terribilus, the temple he claims lineage from is not a Shaolin temple and is now a historical landmark / park. I'd stay away, but on second thought, he'd be worth checking into just to see what he's got.

peace out

h. ox

SifuAbel
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
You know, if it wasn't for the dress up, I'd say to go there too.

As for the harmonious fist school, check out the #6 video, If its close to what you know, then go for it. Its pretty dead on what we do for #6 just with slightly different emphasis here and there.

Lokhopkuen
07-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi Shanlee;
I have not had time to read or post here lately as I am working hard with some of my LAPD friends on the PAL project all I have had time for is teaching, my own training and politicing with city types. I just returned from a 6 AM run and gung fu workout in the Hollywood hills and one of my students told me about your post. Our school is listed in the yellow pages sorry you were having trouble contacting us.

Feel free to call 323 850-0983

or

Email
change@harmoniousfist.com

I no longer list our training address on the internet as you'd be surprised what type of nonsense it attracts, so I usually divulge our "secret location" after an Email communication combined with a phone interview....

What's up with the "MONK DUDE"??? Doesn't look Chinese or Korean??? Are they taking occidentals at Deng Feng these days? Goodness LA Shaolin is getting interesting!

Lokhopkuen
07-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Hey Sifu Able;
who is in the LKH94.wmv_LightDemoFightClip.wmv video? Fluid and scrappy, I like it!

Peace

GeneChing
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
I could teach you this secret method, but they threw my partner, Thomas Chong, in jail. :eek:

norther practitioner
07-02-2004, 11:34 AM
lol, I was waiting for that.

Lokhopkuen
07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I have been slapping my typing finger and my dialing finger alternatly 'cause I really wanna say something to Le' Monkterribele, but I am trying to turn over a new leaf plus my teacher said never mess with another man's way of making a living.

And WHAT a living! Think I am gonna adopt his fee schedule!!! Wanna learn the Cha Ching! Fist??

2 classes/week........................................$125/month
3 classes/week........................................$155/month
4 classes/week........................................$185/month
5 classes/week........................................$225/month

Or, pay the yearly unlimited classes rate:

1 year unlimited......................................... ......$2,100
2 years unlimited......................................... ......$3,500
3 years unlimited......................................... ......$4,500
4 years unlimited......................................... ......$5,500
5 years unlimited......................................... ......$6,500

Private classes are available for $350 for 2 hours.

No refunds or credits _- aminimum $15 dollar charge on all returned checks.

$15 LATE FEE on all accounts 7 days overdue
Trying to be good, trying so hard to be good! Hehehe!

Peace

Shanlee
07-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Lokhopkuen
Hi Shanlee;
I have not had time to read or post here lately as I am working hard with some of my LAPD friends on the PAL project all I have had time for is teaching, my own training and politicing with city types. I just returned from a 6 AM run and gung fu workout in the Hollywood hills and one of my students told me about your post. Our school is listed in the yellow pages sorry you were having trouble contacting us.

Feel free to call 323 850-0983

or

Email
change@harmoniousfist.com

I no longer list our training address on the internet as you'd be surprised what type of nonsense it attracts, so I usually divulge our "secret location" after an Email communication combined with a phone interview....

What's up with the "MONK DUDE"??? Doesn't look Chinese or Korean??? Are they taking occidentals at Deng Feng these days? Goodness LA Shaolin is getting interesting!

thank you for your response, I'm going to contact him next week, when i have some free time.

SifuAbel
07-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Lokhopkuen
Hey Sifu Able;
who is in the LKH94.wmv_LightDemoFightClip.wmv video? Fluid and scrappy, I like it!

Peace

Thanks, I'm in the red. But those are two videos separated by an underscore. The LKH94 is a forms performance.

I fixed it.

SifuAbel
07-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Just goes to show, people will pay for something if the price makes them feel as if they are getting something exclusive. Not bad stances, though. I'm sure he knows something. We can't be jealous, he's got his costume down pat and knows that suckers, er, students will pay for his (through their) wisdom(teeth).

That does it, my rates are going up. We may be laughing at him, but he's laughing all the way to B of A. Maybe its time we are paid what we are worth. Are we just afraid to ask?

Lokhopkuen
07-03-2004, 10:28 PM
I feel if you charge a fair price, teach from the heart and give good measure your school will fill with sincere hard working students and your fortune will grow. Greedy charismatic people retain a certain type of student and make money but it is short lived. Any person who is a seeker of a higher self will recognize the lack of focus toward the gung fu, the absence of student teacher harmony and soon move on...

(Not to say that this is the Monk Terrible's modus operandi, I don't know him)

Peace

SifuAbel
07-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I agree totally, but I don't know how short lived it is.

Also, note the sarcasm in the parenthesis, I know he's a yahoo and you know he's a yahoo, but the lay person thinks he's the second comeing of elvis(or something).

Since we are already off topic, :D , I'll say that the MA business man/woman of today has to recognize that, in effect, two schools have to be run in one. A close knit, hardcore, dedicated school and the lay entertainment club. One feeds off the other. Both can be charged different rates.

In the past this was known as the "in the door" and "out the door" student. Today, however, this is not due to secrecy or loyalty as much as it has to do with levels of commitment and desire.

Economy is what dictates a "fair" price. Todays fair price was yesterdays pie in the sky. Back in the 80's I paid 25 dollars a month as a student. Most TKD places today charge 120 a month for 2 days a week. In ratio, it isn't really that much more if you concider inflation.

If you look at other types of schools and services, however, you'll note that MA schools tend to be far less expensive per hour than most services, sports, tutoring, or private lessons of any kind. So I tend to ask myself, is it them that are asking too much, or is it me asking too little? Are we basing price on historical values ratios instead of real time-service ratios?

If a said parent would pay 50 dollars an hour just so little joey can ride a horse, Why shouldn't we charge even half of that to teach little joey 100 times more skills and in 10 times the amount of hours per month? This, of course, depends on just where the schools is and what is the actual demographic of the area. It must, of course, fit in the scale of the local economy. Because little joey might in turn be at home doing nothing while single mom works two jobs.

Its a tricky subject.

Another interesting factoid about business perception is that in SOME areas if you charge too little, people will find you suspect of fraud or some underhanded thing or of low qulaity. In their minds, price equates to quality. People will pay more thinking they are getting something better. We all know thats not true, but its not us joining the school. Its about perception.

This guy has created a bubble of perception that people will buy in to. Only after the results, if any, produce themselves will said people be able to judge the truth of the matter. Meanwhile, a year may have gone by. Buyer Beware.

Service, amenities and student satisfaction are three of the quality areas that students use to measure into what a "reasonable price" should be. If the instructor is great but the bathrooms smell like pee-pee, that student may have to weigh the two in order to decide whether to stay or not and if the price they are paying in fair.

A common quote, "You'd think with all the money he's charging , that he'd at least paint the walls sometimes."

David Jamieson
07-04-2004, 06:03 PM
...Now in my second year of training, I am stronger than I have ever been physically, more mentally alert, more appreciative of the world around me, and better able to handle the challenges of life outside of class.

a testimonial from a student!

It begs the question doesn't it?
(make up your question)

Korea does have Chan temples though, i don't know about fighting monks temples though and seeing as it's been mentioned that the place is a park, well...

plus 2.5 years as a fighting monk, hmmmm, isn't that how long san te was in Shaolin for in the movie "masterkiller the 36th chamber?"

anyway, the dude looks stretchy, you could probably learn something from him, but the cash thing is a bit iffy and the refusal to allow observance of a class is dodgy. Don't know why people wouldn't want to use a class to inspire. Looks to hard, there goes the chaff, looks like fun and good exercise, then people will join.

anyway, everyone else was being critical and so will I. :D

Gene, is Cheech the shadow master then?

cheers

herb ox
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
...not the ol' Cheech & Ching routine!!! :D

(c'mon, Gene, I know you were thinking about it!)

"...uuuh, his name is Raaalph..."