PDA

View Full Version : Should I study Wing Chun?!?!

YoungOne
06-12-2001, 12:49 AM
Hello my name is Stephen and I was wondering should i study Wing Chun? I'm about 6'2 180lbs and I'm flexible but can't do a split. I'm very active, I play basketball and football. I have been trying to figure out what style is the best for me. I know some styles are much better for shorter people. So if yall think this is a style for shorter people can yall please tell me another style I should try. Please tell me what you think. Thank you. :D

I maybe young but I am smart.

Wei Sui
06-12-2001, 12:57 AM
you don't have to do the splits...

GO for it... find a good school and ask for trial classes.

Good luck!

Dai yut tow dai :)

CLOUD ONE
06-12-2001, 02:30 AM
Hi, I agree that if you try it then the art will pick you. It might be boring to you at first but if you value the basics then this is a great art to study. Also it will definetly help with your basketball and football training.
Only if you go for it would you know if it is for you.

Martial Joe
06-12-2001, 03:13 AM
Find out yourself,we are all different...

greyseal
06-12-2001, 04:46 AM
You will never know until you try!

..."What... is your favorite color? What... is your quest?..."

greyseal
06-12-2001, 04:53 AM
I am 6'1"-6'2"(after you hit 6' it's pretty meaningless to keep counting in my book)and 220 pounds and I will admit, most of the other people in my class are of much slighter build and shorter, though there is one guy taller than me. They say that Wing Chun was created(I could be wrong about this)with a smaller person in mind so that a stronger, bigger opponent could be overtaken/defeated. Wing Chun, they say, is a very precise art,i.e. positioning ans such must be pretty much perfect or else wham! But hey, if you learn Wing Chun, then all of the world's little people won't have an advantege over you. Go for it.

.."If she floats then she must be made of wood, and if she's made of wood, then she must be a witch." ;)

logic
06-12-2001, 05:51 AM
It is one of the best moves you can make at your age.Your balance will improve,so will your basketball and football game.You also get a strong mind out of the deal.Good luck.

Honest Neutral Clearity

YoungOne
06-12-2001, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all of yall replys. I will try to find a school in my area. If yall no any schools in Virginia can yall please tell me. Thank you. ;)

LEGEND
06-12-2001, 10:55 PM
Hmmmmm...try MUY THAI...I have studied wing chun and it's a fast style...MUY THAI is more prominent with POWER...and I think it would fit u best.

A

Owen
06-12-2001, 11:07 PM
youngone, I've visited a school in richmond, they have a few sifu's who are your size. It is in my estimation an excelent school.
THe number is 804-649-1977
have fun

mun hung
06-13-2001, 11:28 AM
If you are anywhere near Virginia Beach - you should check out SiFu Duncan Leung's Wing Chun school. That is one tough kickass school. Legend - I suggest you go there too so you can have a new opinion of Wing Chun and how powerful it can be.

tiger_1
06-14-2001, 02:48 AM
my friend mun hung im strong suport you. that man must find good wing chun shool and traning hard . beauty in fung fu dnt have muai tai or any onthers shool . im see in that man fine constitucion of body for wing chun and aikido. ok just friendly tiger_1 :cool:

/

YoungOne
06-14-2001, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone I'm talking to my mom about letting me start soon. And also I would like to thank everyone for the schools. I'm going to look into them thank you. :D

tnwingtsun
06-14-2001, 08:57 PM
I second the notion on Duncan Leung's school
in VA Beach,if I lived in VA and didn't have WT,
Duncan would be da man!!