Sponsored by the Rochester Wing Chun Student Association

Saturday, July 17th, 2004
Beeches Shelter in Webster Park
Webster, New York
(Map links provided below)

11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Pizza Picnic Starts at Noon
Followed by Exchange & Workout
Dinner (optional) at Asian Buffet (formerly China Buffet), 2186 Empire Boulevard, Webster, New York

Water, soft drinks & snacks will be provided.
An $8.00 per person donation is requested (to help defray costs of shelter and lunch)
RSVP not required but greatly appreciated (for accurate head count and sufficient food!)

To RSVP, contact Mark Stoddard or Kathy Jo Connors at the Rochester Wing Chun Student Association at:
rochesterwingchun@yahoo.com
phone (585)-671-0870, please leave a message

In the past, this event has been attended by practitioners from various families of Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, Hung Gar, Kenpo, Tai Chi, Pekiti Tirsia, San Miguel, Mu Dong Kung Fu, Aiki-Jitsu, Tang Soo Do, and Boy Scouts!

Please come and share food, drink, camaraderie, and experience Wing Chun and other styles of Martial Arts in a friendly and constructive atmosphere. Feel free to share concepts and ideas, forms or kata, and workout to your degree of comfort.

All participants are expected to attend in good will, and to sign a waiver upon arrival.

== Web Version of this Announcement: <http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Announcement.htm>

== Rochester Wing Chun Student Association: <http://www.rochesterwingchun.com>

== Maps
Beeches Shelter in Webster Park: <http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Webster%20Park%20Map.gif>
Webster, New York: <http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?zoomin=yes&name=&ed=08Sokup_0TpxmK22kNaq3rzQ1YA4aWcJoL7xL7ClCE6SEih xfI_00t9ZwXZzOLpbB06QZDY5BTs07F9kL6TbX40ah9M2uhFud 70hcW8-&state=NY&csz=Webster%2C%2BNY%2B14580&ds=n&uzip=14580&mag=9&desc=&country=US&dma=538&cat=trav&resize=l&rezoom=0&.intl=us&compass=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0>

== For Our Out-of-Town Visitors
Places to Stay <http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Rochester%20Area%20Motels.doc>
Places to Visit <http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Things%20to%20do%20in%20Rochester.doc>

:D

Mark Kune
07-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone of the above announcement!

This gathering is a lot of fun and very informal. There is no agenda ie no one is "teaching" a seminar.

The attendees make the agenda.

Some people from the list were there last year (I'm sure you can find the threads to see their comments) and we hope more from here will attend this year.

It's only a week away!!

PaulH
07-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Have fun, Wing Chums! If only I am just a little richer to buy me some bigger wings to fly over there ... =)

kj
07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Like it or not, I'll be there! :p

Looks like we'll have a good turnout again this year. Among those we're expecting so far are some folks who practice and learn in the Ip Ching line, at least one person who trained under Augustine Fong, some Moy Yat line folks, and Dr. Jack Ling (student of Leung Sheung) along with some of his guys. We're already well on our way to a nice "mix" of backgrounds, and hoping even more will join us. Hopefully some more of our local WC friends will join us too, in addition to all the out-of-towners.

Looks like we will get a good turnout of other martial artists filtering in throughout the day again too. Among the new folks we anticipate a Northern Snake stylist and some Isshin Ryu stylists ("local lumnaries" as I've been told :)). I haven’t given up on our local Chen’s friends, and still hopeful they’ve resolved their schedule conflicts this time around.

We're still working on total headcount, and expecting a variety of others who’ve joined us before too. Always a new mix, always insightful, nice way to work out with new and different hands, and always a fun day!

Hey, Rindge ... folks are traveling in for the day from a lot ****her than Buffalo! <nudge, nudge> :)

PaulH ... we will count on you to come out our way sometime!

Hoping some more of you fine KFO folks will come on out for the day too … there’s still time to work it out, and we'd sure love to see and exchange with you. You can also meet my Wing Chun sidekick and #1 training partner, Mark. :cool: (Psst ... he's more impressive than I am! ;))

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

PaulH
07-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Kathy,

I had a very pleasant and fun time with Alan and your folks at the last gathering of WC friends. The pleasure and honour would be mine should we meet again.

Best wishes,
Paul

kj
07-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
I had a very pleasant and fun time with Alan and your folks at the last gathering of WC friends. The pleasure and honour would be mine should we meet again.

I sure like working with Alan too. I am confident that I'll somehow manage to meet up with you, Ernie and some of the others one of these days.

Regards,
- kj

WCis4me
07-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi KJ,

Originally posted by kj
I sure like working with Alan too. I am confident that I'll somehow manage to meet up with you, Ernie and some of the others one of these days.

Regards,
- kj
One of these days it will happen lol. Unfortunately another year has gone by but my restrictions of job and kids hasn't. Wish I could be there. I wish you the best and expect a great time and WC exchange will be had by all.

Take care,
Vicky

kj
07-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Vicky, we'd welcome your visit anytime. Perhaps you can make it next year if we don't manage to connect sooner!

Regards,
- kj

WCis4me
07-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi KJ,

Originally posted by kj
Vicky, we'd welcome your visit anytime. Perhaps you can make it next year if we don't manage to connect sooner!

Regards,
- kj
Thank you so much. I hope to make it next year, I also hope that our paths cross much sooner. I look forward to the day we meet in person.

Take care,
Vicky

Sihing73
07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I regeret that it looks like I will not be able to make it this year. I had planned on attending but my wifes cousin is visiting from Virginia and she would like me to do something with the family before he returns next week. I appoligize for the late notice as I was trying to work out a way to do both.

Peace,

Dave

I promise to make it up to Rochester one of these days. My wife has even agreed to come with me if we also visit the falls. ;)

kj
07-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Good to hear from you, Dave. I was getting worried! We'll miss you this time around, and look forward to whenever you make it up. It's a standing invitation. :)

Best wishes in your renewed endeavors!

Regards,
- kj

Neo
07-16-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi kj

Interested to know what the waiver consists of, although I think I have an inkling.

cheers

kj
07-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Neo
Hi kj

Interested to know what the waiver consists of, although I think I have an inkling.

cheers

You accept FULL responsibility for your own actions, choices, and for your own well being, and agree to bring no lawsuits. There are a few more words, but that's the crux of it. Under 18 requires a parent's permission and signature. If you'd like to see a copy, just PM me with your email address.

Regards,
- kj

Neo
07-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Thanks KJ

YongChun
07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Would the waiver hold up in court or is it the case of having something is better than nothing or that it all depends on the exact circumstance of something happening?

Sihing73
07-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Hello KJ and others ;)

I hope that you had a great time with the gathering. I am sure everyone who attended came away with something more than they brought. One day I will get up there to visit with you'all. In the interim, the door is open in Philly for anyone who happens to visit.

Peace,

Dave

Mark Kune
07-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi Dave and others

We missed you but we still had a great time!

After a week of rain the weather broke and we had a beautiful sunny warm day.

We had just over 20 people attend. There were practioners of Moy Yat, Red Boat, Augustine Fong, Steve Lee Swift/Yip Chun and Leung Sheung lineages.

From other styles there were Natural Style, Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do and Norhtern Snake. There were also a few people that we just interested to see the different types of Martial Arts.

Everyone got along fantastically! We ended up staying 2 hours later than scheduled.

We shared sets/forms, both wing chun and other styles and talked about the principles. Mostly we worked out. There was a lot of chi sau and cross style exchanges.

I already can't wait for next year. I hope to see familiar faces and meet new people then.

Vajramusti
07-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Mark---
thanks for sharing the good times. Due to quite demanding
extended family obligations I dont travel as much as I would like to. Hope to go your way again sometime.

I have a big weekend coming up next month for the Ho Kam Ming
retirement seminar and festivities in Tucson.

And- with the world crisis plus greed airline prices have gone up too. Just this morning put I one son and sister in law on a plane for Muscogee Creek tribal doings in Oklahoma- the ticket prices have doubled from a year or two ago.

When you say Fong lineage--- who was there?

Joy Chaudhuri

AmanuJRY
07-23-2004, 11:36 AM
These kinds of get togethers sound really cool. We need to organize one on the west coast, or the mid-west and get some of you east enders to come. That would probably inspire people like Ernie, myself and other west coasters to participate.

Mark Kune
07-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Joy

I'll email you about the Augustine Fong guy. I don't have his permission to put his name out on the web.

These types of get togethers are lots of fun and we've had great luck so far that everyone has gotten along and willing to share.

I know from the internet that they've had them in the Bay area LA and NYC.

Try sponsoring one. It's worth the effort.

Vajramusti
07-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Try sponsoring one. It's worth the effort.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark, I respect his wishes.
Re above--

when it's officially 110 and there aint no shade and the humidity
is high

hush a bye little baby dont you cry.

(With apologies to the author of Summertime
and Fantasia)

Its hibernation time in the desert.

joy

azwingchun
07-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Yes, but I hear that we are in for a cool down this week, only 107! LOL!!!!! ;)

Actually, a multi-system picnic would be very cool. I would love to see that happen here in Phoenix.

Ernie
07-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Actually, a multi-system picnic would be very cool. I would love to see that happen here in Phoenix.

hey did some one say food :D

AmanuJRY
07-23-2004, 06:13 PM
steaks are on the grill, oh wait you're veg., got a good salad rollin'.
The chi sau games are over by the fishin' pond under the big Oak.

Ernie
07-23-2004, 06:16 PM
give me a side order of pak sau tofu and you have a date

hey justin forgot to tell you added a few more pics on my site of gary's dvd shoot nothing special but just in case you get bored ha ha

AmanuJRY
07-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Here is some kung pow kuen, grub up man!!!:D

kj
07-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Just to add a little about the day's event. Better late than never.

We did indeed have a great picnic and workout day as Mark described. Folks joined us a usual from the Greater Rochester region and "neighboring" Albany and Saratoga Springs areas. We also had the privilege of meeting a wonderful chap from British Columbia, who gave me a delightfully hard time and some good lessons via his inner connection, mobility, sensitivity, and long reach. Hoping he'll drop by some more whenever "in the neighborhood." :)

There was even more working out and easy openness of sharing than in past years, which is saying quite a lot. Some pretty high intensity stuff too, yet always with an appropriate margin of safety, mutual respect, and no destructive egos. Couldn't have asked for a better day with a more generous, eclectic, and fun group of folks.

We missed a few of you who've joined us in past years, and hope to see you next time, or before if another opportunity presents itself. And of course we'd love for even more of you to join in when we plan the next one.

Dave, sorry to have missed you (again), but you know you are welcome by any time. If we don't have an event scheduled, we'll create one on your account.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

kj
07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by YongChun
Would the waiver hold up in court or is it the case of having something is better than nothing or that it all depends on the exact circumstance of something happening?

Hi Ray,

In the U.S., anyone can sue you for anything, anytime. There are never guarantees of anything, and regardless of what papers or contracts a person has signed, AFAIK. So there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee. The waiver nonetheless serves some useful purposes:

It informs participants about appropriate behavior (theirs and others'), and enables them to moderate their own activities and engagements accordingly
Makes provision for excusing anyone who cannot or will not abide by the expectations, or who fails to respect the safety and well-being of others
Ensures that participants are aware that they are fully and solely responsible for their own safety and liable for their own conduct in all respects, and that they agree to accept that responsibility and liability before participating
The waivers are maintained as evidence of acknowledgment and willful agreement in the event that a lawsuit should ever ensue

Thus it is as much for prevention as for recourse, and serves both ethical and pragmatic purposes.

We use variants of the same waiver for different types of events, all of which are tailored versions of a sample provided to us by an attorney who created it for use in his own martial arts practice.

A waiver would not necessarily decide a court case, but it would almost certainly hold up as a piece of admissible evidence. Everything always depends on a combination of circumstances, the performance of lawyers and witnesses, and the whims of judge and/or jury. So the bottom line is, yes, something is better than nothing.

Regards,
- kj