PDA

View Full Version : Trip to China

norther practitioner
06-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm starting to put together my first trip to China. I'll probably take a tour for somewhere in the 9 to 14 day category. I'll be going with my Uncle, who will be sort of dictating the major details of the trip (like when), but has given me the options of a lot of tours. I'd like to just site see this trip for the most part, but maybe check out some schools and such along the way. So far I'm looking at going to Beijing, Xian, then to Shanghai for the most part. Anybody got some suggestions though of things that are must see that might not be on a standard tour. Most of them have all the major landmarks. The wall, tienemen square, forbiden city in Beijing, one actually goes through Dengfeng and to the White Horse Temple (don't worry Gene, I already have reread this (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf200119.html) ) Then to see the warriors in Xian, and then to Shanghai, some including cruises down different rivers and such.

Also, I was thinking of getting a bunch of weapons and such when I go, and was thinking, are there good places to get weapons in Shanghai? I'll be flying out of there, and figured it would be easier to buy them there instead of lugging them around for a week and a half.

So yeah, suggestions?

Shaolinlueb
06-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I hear Hangzhou is nice :D

blooming lotus
06-29-2004, 08:06 PM
it really depends what you're after..www.lonelyplanet.com has some great itinerary suggestions............ for weaopns and such, dengfeng is gongfu central so really it's the best place to do it budget .............you can get a bunch of stuff for nicks...........you won't really know til you arrive, but I'm sure you'll find something.............I'll find WangYuMins' cell no ( from dengfeng cits) and email....if all else fails, give him a buzz and mention Gene..I'm sure he'll be happy to point you in the right direction

unkokusai
06-30-2004, 06:53 AM
I hate that lonelyplanet crap.

You might look at Yunnan Province. Lots of interesting stuff down thataway.

norther practitioner
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anymore?

Midnight
06-30-2004, 09:23 AM
In possibly 1.5 years from now, I plan to relocate to china to teach english, and hopefully further my martial arts disciplines. I hope to begin in the northern most areas, and slowly work my way to the south. And cover as much as I can.

Your list of places to visit is rather good already. I'd like to know how your trip goes, after you return. I certainly hope you post the outcome.

:) enjoy your journey.

norther practitioner
06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
No doubt, I'll have to try to keep a journal of some sorts.

How hard is it to get to O-mei? I know Dengfeng isn't too bad nowadays, and Wudan is like a pain, but what about traveling to O-mei?

norther practitioner
06-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Never mind... found it.

Might be somewhere I'd like to stop if we end up doing the tibetan platue at all....

unkokusai
06-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anymore?

If you want some really good eats, head for Chengdu. Spiiiiiiicy!

unkokusai
06-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Never mind... found it.

Might be somewhere I'd like to stop if we end up doing the tibetan platue at all....

If you can get to Lhasa you won't regret it!

omarthefish
06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
If you look me up in Xi'an I could show you some pretty incredible Yang style.

ngokfei
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
a good contact in Shanghai is the Chin Woo Men group. They are separate from the Shanghai Chin Woo (mostly if not all Wushu now).

Go to the web site and speak to Kai Uwe Pel - a great mantis teacher. He should help you make contacts there and info on where to buy equipment.

Great you going. Have had to put my travelingon hold since I had a Kid.

have fun

Starchaser107
06-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Heyy
u get to be surrounded by asian women everywhere

no fair.

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
it's the truth...even if you're ugly as a hat ful o a'holes they'll treat you like a superstar???.wtf???....pregancy aside, not really complaining too much myself...............

anyway emei shan is a mission.there are temples you can sleep in for one us dollar a night along the way........just don't expect electricity and if you get more than a litre of water a day be VERY grateful.......often , even in Henan we don't have that privilgde.....so can you imagine..dirty sweaty clothes, skin and hair care, girls with periods, late night squats on drop -loos...........watch that step.........

anyway...they say if you do mt.emei in 2 days you're total trouper..........as in up to a 15hr / day practically vertical at times climb..........3 days is reasonable and if you really feel the hardship there are cable lifts between points to alleiviate the burden...........

I hear Guilin province comes highly recommended.........it doesn't have gongfu , but there's a chinese saying that goes something like..."if you go to guilin , you would swear you were in heaven".........

guangdong / guangzhou is pulling around 37degrees av at the moment weather wise, so if you're up for a sauna and very little hygeine..pls come...................

be fore-warned that china is experiencing a power crisis at the moment and if you visit a smaller town, don't be at all surprised if you wake up to no power power or water for hrs or days ongoing..........always always have at least 1/2 lt water on hand...........

I'm in henan and every one china wide says it's the dirtiest province you could imagine...........you probably won't notice too much until you get sick.....just be wary of produce you buy.....and don't be affraid to haggle..........it's kinda standard and if you don't, you're a mug paying up to 3x local rate.........

finally, if you get too bored you can pm me and through my busy schedule for summer camp, I'm sure I could manage an hour min..........hitting guangdong for a rehash or bl's vengance, in a week or so.........

take care , bring your can't do with-outs and enjoy your trip

BL

Kristoffer
07-01-2004, 04:52 AM
If I'd go back there I'd first hit Beijing, then Guilin. North east, maybe Tibet seems like a great experience too. I'd definatly try to hook up with Omar in Xi'an, it's great to meet other MA.

peace

norther practitioner
07-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks again for the tips. If I end up going to Xi'an I'll definitely hit you up omar.

blooming lotus
07-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Np.....quick tip...pls bring a money belt/bum bag.theives have a keen eye for dosh in these parts...

unkokusai
07-02-2004, 11:54 AM
And never, ever trust a taxi driver in China.

omarthefish
07-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Heck, never trust ANYBODY in China.

Sad but true. Oh and don't forget, the locals seem to have a genetic disability that prevents them from saying, "I have no ****ing clue". So when you ask a question, directions . . anything, you have to learn to read the signs on their faces to see if they actuallt know the answer or are just making something up to avoid having to say, "I have no idea."

Saves a lot of time.