PDA

View Full Version : sib pal ki video from budointernational.com

taichi4eva
06-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Again, with this korean kung fu thing...

There's a video out by budointernational.com called "sib pal ki- korean kung fu." There was also an article about it in their magazine.

http://www.budointernational.com/html/america/japanese/japanese24.htm

In it, they feature solo empty hand forms called "tantey" and weapons forms. Now, from what i can see from the cover (a guy holding a japanese looking sword), it doesn't look very chinese-like. Also, "tantey" sounds suspiciously like tantui "spring leg"...then again, i dunno any krn. Does anyone know anything about this?

P.S. What's with the funny looking costumes anyway? He's wearing a bandana for godsakes...just like one of those kempo guys...lol

cerebus
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Don't know about the uniforms or the sword, but yeah, Tantey is Tan Tui. Most Sib Pall Gee that I know of is a combination of Northern Shaolin and Northern Mantis.

When I was living in Italy I trained under a student of Korean Kung Fu master Shin Dae Woung. Master Shin's Kung Fu was mostly Shaolin, Mantis and Bagua and a lot of weapons (mostly traditional chinese weapons but also single & double nunchaku, though I suspect this was incorporated later for "flash" to attract the kids).

Xiao Tang Lang
07-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I learned "Tan Tey" from a Korean Praying Mantis Teacher several years ago. It was 9 roads long and basically consisted of Plumflower Praying Mantis Line drills. The pronunctiation thing can get a little confusing! The Korean teacher I had called Praying Mantis "Tang Rang" and Shaolin was "So Rim".