PDA

View Full Version : Wtf? Where's the correct?

Toby
06-29-2004, 08:15 PM
When I was going through withdrawal symptoms at the site being down yesterday, I visited an old bookmarked link (http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=13637). I found an hilarious thread with a guest appearance by our own 7*! Enjoy.

blooming lotus
06-29-2004, 08:29 PM
and which article exactly do we find him on?????

Toby
06-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Not article. I was talking about the
Originally posted by Toby
... thread ...There's some funny stuff in there.

IronFist
06-29-2004, 08:47 PM
wtf is karateforums?

IronFist
06-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Actually, it sounds like SevenStar did a good job laying down the correct.

Toby
06-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Some forum full of braggarts, liers, newbies and egotistical S.O.B.'s :D. I bookmarked it many moons ago when I was searching for something. Not much there, but I was desperate yesterday ;).

IronFist
06-29-2004, 08:54 PM
omg this is the dumbest conversation I've ever read:

sansoouser: A gymnast never lifted weights and then lifted 495
Sevenstar: What lift did he lift 495 in?
sansoouser: he lifted 495 in the lift

^ what kind of stupid answer is that? Hahahahahahahaha

I was waiting for SevenStar to tear him a new one, but it never happened.

Toby
06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah. I totally agreed with 7*. But he struggled to get support. Here's pretty much all the funny bits:

"... we develope our power from resistance training, ie. minimum muscle mass, which contributes to speed which added with body unity and internal training concepts, creates great penetrative power ..."

"Weights are sometimes used, not for building muscles but for strengthning the hand grip and for resistance training e.g. holding the barbels in a certain position(no pumping) until the muscles start to "burn"."

"The bench press is good for bodybuilding, that's an isolation movement, ask almost any fighter and they will say it is useless."

"... you can be strong but if you don't have endurance to use it then what good is it?" Works for Bob Sapp sometimes. I wouldn't step in the ring with him. Nor a streetfight.

"Why do you think almost every powerlifter who went to a fighting sport failed?" Unlike those kick-ass marathon runners.

"Have you ever seen a 140 pound gymnast? They're ripped to the bone and extremely strong for their size. The 140 pound gymnast only used bodyweight exercises and in his freshmen year he lifted 495, he was also doing pull ups with ease with an added 75 pound bag, but he had to stop because the weight belt ripped."

When 7* asked what lift the guy meant: "He lifted 495 on the lift."

When talking about circus gymnasts: "They must also do incredible amounts of resistance training, e.g. hanging from bars or maintaining certain press/push up etc. positions until the muscles burn.

The things we could all do with that kind of strenght."

I thought you might like it. Like I said, I was bored yesterday :p.

_William_
06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
"Sansoouser" was unable to formulate any decent argument beyond resorting to name dropping and spouting nonsensical stereotypes about weight training.

I guess that thread proves that dogma has no place in training... The guy was too elitist to even consider SevenStar's position. IMHO this elitism tends to be propagated by people like Matt Furey in a marketing attempt to make people feel that they are somehow part of something "special".

Ridicule is used to sell stuff.

;)

Mika
06-29-2004, 10:41 PM
"Weights will give you more brute strength, but not as much endurace or stabalizing muscle work,--"

Right, right...:D

That someone doesn't know any better, it's OK. We have all been there, no one was born with all the information. But that someone doesn't recognize that fact...:rolleyes:

Like Frank Zappa said: "Stupidity has certain charm, ignorance does not."

Well put, suits that sansoouser well...:D

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 10:26 PM
I dunno.I find alot the ignorangce around here VERY charming at times ;)

Ps...feeling the guy on his comment.strength per say.gives a moment of hercules- edness, but heavy endurance is like..............a combat strength over distance.....and stabalizising is like starting again..........

you feeling that???

Toby
06-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
I dunno.I find alot the ignorangce around here VERY charming at times ;)
Awww, we find you charming too, BL :D.

...a combat strength over distance...Define "combat strength" :rolleyes:.

and stabalizising is like starting again...Try just standing with 150kg on your back, BL. You'll be stabalizising your butt off to not get squashed. Relax those stabalizising muscles and you'll collapse.

you feeling that??? Nope.

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
tsk, sigh , ......

combat strength ..as in endurable energy......strength over a period....vs "watch out !..I'll bench 250.............."

you know....strength you can can use at capacity over time longer than a one push effort............

Toby
06-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, you know my priorities. Bursts of strength as opposed to endurance. I'd rather the 250lb strength. What happens when you come up against the 250lb guy (or girl :eek: ) and want to throw them? Easier if you have the 250lb strength ready for a quick burst than if you have the 125lb strength for the whole day. It compensates for my crappy skills ;).

blooming lotus
07-01-2004, 12:00 AM
skill is the name of the game, and for his very publisized but few and far between losses, check your bruce lees and jets and jackies..........

I'll take skill over strength any day.it's predominantly a small mans game, and if we're talking weee..you don't get a whole lot wee er than myself...........

grappling, throws, takedowns and nearly possibly locks.........throw in some dim mak and good timing, and I think i'm good to go

Toby
07-01-2004, 12:11 AM
I'll take skill over strength any day.it's predominantly a small mans game, and if we're talking weee..you don't get a whole lot wee er than myself...Yeah, but I'm not talking about you (I know, it's hard to believe). I'm talking about me. It's not a small man's game for me. I'm 6'3" and pushing 200lb. Hence I get paired with the big guys in class. I have crappy skills. I compensate with strength. Sure, I'd prefer to use skill and not break a sweat, but I don't have it yet.

As to me fighting you, I'd just rush you and sit on you, BL. I'd probably encur damage doing so, but you can't resist my 200lb-fu. Even if you killed me, I'd be stuck on you. If I had twice my weight resting on me, I'd struggle to move it off.

blooming lotus
07-01-2004, 07:26 PM
If you could get to the point where you're sitting on me............... I'd give you props, and it'd probaby even turn me on........strength ova skill and skill over stregth.find your forte and exploit the hell outta it.............

FooFighter
07-04-2004, 04:18 PM
blooming lotus

Strength is a skill in its own right and it is as important as technical martial performance. Yes, in some cases proper tactical and technical skills can out beat a stronger opponent. However
we do need some force and strength behind our forms. Without proper strength and force behind tactical and technical skills, then it really empty and shallow. By the way, the Bruce Lees, and jets and jackies in the world arent weaklings. I personally never met a superior gung fu man who didnt have gong lik. If you believe you can defeat a stronger persone without any strength or force, but technical skills alone then you are not being realistic in your self defense in my opinion. I worry about size and strength because I know these are vital factors to consider. As long as my strength improves along with my technical ability, then I know at least I have a fighting chance. Speaking about confidence, you must be confident if you can grapple, throw, takedown and locks, and perform a well timed dim mak under stress and with someone who is much stronger and larger than you. Me personally, I wish I had your confidence. I know strength matters and I think everyone should try be as strong as possible and not use specialized skills as an excuse to not strength train for life or in the martial arts.

blooming lotus
07-04-2004, 04:26 PM
dui.you are so correct............strength is a skill and extremely crucial tool in its' own right..............just don't fooled , as so many do, into believing strength and size are the same thing ;)

FooFighter
07-04-2004, 04:51 PM
BL:

Is english your first language? I was born here in the US, but english is not my first language. I asked because I really cant understand some of your sentences.

IronFist
07-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I... can't... resist...

blooming lotus
07-04-2004, 05:21 PM
yes...and in fact i'm posting btween teaching english classes at this very moment.......I am in China though and will often use Chinese words........duibuqi ( sorry about that :P )

FooFighter
07-05-2004, 09:07 AM
BL:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was beginning to wonder if you were a native english speaker? Have fun in China and make sure to teach them proper spelling and grammar.