PDA

View Full Version : My favorite owning

IronFist
06-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I was thinking back about the past on this board, and I thought of this (http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=18865&perpage=15) thread. This was one of my better ownings, I think.

In it, people try to argue with me and tell me that steroids cause cancer, and that professional athletes don't use steroids. But I use science and biology to lay down the correct.

:D

Toby
06-29-2004, 09:23 PM
I wanna know how come you used to know how to swear, but now you write things like p.iss?

I vote Navy Seal. That's who I'd rather be, anyway. Story: my old man used to play state rugby and he said that they played against the SAS a few times. The SAS guys could run all day, but they couldn't run as fast. But they've got a kick-ass rep.

IronFist
06-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I wanna know how come you used to know how to swear, but now you write things like p.iss?

Cuz I'm ****ing lazy :D

Congratulate me on my owning, braggard!

Toby
06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Lol!

It's braggart, not braggard.

Congrats.

IronFist
06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
My bad.

jun_erh
07-04-2004, 11:41 AM
I disagree. I remeber being concerned at your weird defense of steroids on some topic here a few years ago. I made some points that you couldn't counter then moved on because I didn't care about it that much. You got owned if anything.

IronFist
07-04-2004, 12:21 PM
I must have missed it. What points did you make?

Merryprankster
07-04-2004, 03:23 PM
In 1990, the average weight of linemen was 284.6 lbs
In 2000, the average weight of linemen was 330.6 lbs

The above has everything to do with a rule change and not necessarily steroids.

There was a period of time where linemen couldn't use their palms to block. This meant linemen had to be be big, but pretty darn mobile. You'd top out at about 285-290 for that.

Then they allowed offensive linemen to use their hands. This pressure selects for wingspan vice mobility. If you can move just a bit and get your hands on the guy, you can put your weight behind it and drive him around.

Who has bigger wingspans? On average. Taller guys. Plus you don't NEED the mobility any more. Once you get your hands on a guy, you want the mass to knock him about.

Height adds weight. Lots of it. A guy built like me but two inches taller is usually around 215-220.

Check the average height of the linemen in the same period and I bet you see an increase. Most of the big boys now are between 6' 4" and 6' 6', I think. You'll definitely note an increased reach!!

Not sure? Where has the pulling guard gone? Don't see it much any more and that's because they don't have the mobility to do it now.

This doesn't prove or disprove anything of course, just thought it worthy of note that there is a reason beyond steroids that this has occurred.

While I think many of them are on steroids, I think many of them are NOT on steroids.

jun_erh
07-05-2004, 01:49 PM
As I process mp's point.....

okay ironfist, I think my point was along the lines of it's the behaviour the drug produces that is the danger rather than the "health" effects.

IronFist
07-05-2004, 03:44 PM
MP - I don't know anything about the height stats.

jun_erh - Different people respond differently to different drugs.

Merryprankster
07-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Then I would suggest you haven't done your homework completely :D

Actually, I don't know them either. I'm just pointing out that when there are other possibilities, you have to look at them as well.

MasterKiller
07-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by IronFist in the other thread
Do some research and talk to people in the industry before you argue with me anymore.

Originally posted by IronFist in this thread
MP - I don't know anything about the height stats. Something about practicing what you preach comes to mind, here......

Ford Prefect
07-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Height stats aside, it's common knowledge that a great many athletes are on Vitamin-S. Pro sports is rediculously easy to fool and only the ill-prepared get caught. NFL is harder than the rest, but still no problem compared to olympic athletes. Now consider that a huge number of olympians are chemically enhanced...

jun_erh
07-08-2004, 11:42 AM
if you're not cheating, you're cheating yourself.

IronFist
07-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Finally Ford shows up in the steroid thread to back me up. :)

MK - Good catch.

But the point is, tons of pro athletes use roids and the only reason people don't believe it is because they elevate them to some sort of "hero" status.

People have told me "Arnold Schwarzenegger would never have used steroids!" like they know him personally or something. I'm like :rolleyes: