PDA

View Full Version : Chen Taiji Training: An insight...

One Finger Zen
06-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Hello all, just thought i'd post this thread just because i'm curious how everyone else trains in their Chen Style?
We only have one weapon which is the jian and we are currently learning a sword form from master Wang Hai Jun.

The empty hand forms we are learning is laojia, 18 movement chen form.

Look forward to your replies.

OFZ

SPJ
06-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Weapons also include broad sword, long spear, staff and Da Dao, etc.

Lao Jia Yi Lu and Er Lu.

Xin Jia.

I like them both.

Chen Chan Xin added some modifications to Chen Wang Ting routines.

Best of luck.

:)

One Finger Zen
07-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Lao Jia Yi Lu is a really cool form :D

I used to do Xin Jia ages ago when i first started taiji but its now forgotten as we concentrate mainly on 18 movement form(by er lu did you mean this??) and lao jia and chen sword.

I will try to trace the lineage sometime soon as that kind of stuff interests me

puja
07-01-2004, 04:40 AM
OFZ,

Lao Jia Er Lu is the Pao Chui (Canon Fist) Form

best regards,

puja

SPJ
07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Off the subject.

It is nice to know that people study Tang Lang in Germany.

Ich habe Tang Lang studiert seit 1970's.

Wieviele Schulen der Tang Lang in Deutschland, weiss Du?

Vielen Dank.

Ich muss oefener mein Deutsch praktisieren.

puja
07-01-2004, 01:50 PM
SPJ,
There are quite some mantis-schools in germany. 4 TaiJi MeiHua and many (I haven't counted) Qi Xing (7*).
You'll find some of the german 7*-shifus like Jochen Wolfgram (german bai lung) or Michael Meinert (Wang Lang) on this board, too.
There was an article about TangLang in Germany written by Jochen Wolfgram in the last Mantis Quarterly (http://www.mantisquarterly.com/) but I haven't recieved that issue yet.
As this is off topic to this thread, please pm me for more on this.

regards,

puja

wujimon
07-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey OFZ :)

I believe the 18 movement form you practice is a condensed form that Chen Zhenglei created. I think he calls it the "Chen Essence" form. It's a pretty nice form and I think it's almost the first section of the Laojia Yi Lu (old frame, first routine). I like this form better compared to some of the other condensed forms: 19 form (Chen Xiao Wang), 13 form (Zhu Tian Cai).

Currently, I'm working on zhanzhuang (standing meditation) and silk reeling exercises (mainly the ones taught by CXW). Also, working on fine-tuning the 38 form (mixture of laojia and xinjia created by CXW) and sometimes run through the Laojia Yilu if I'm up for it, but primarily concentrating on the 38 form.

The lineage I practice under also has the weapons that SPJ mentioned, but I am not doing any weapons training at this time.

w.

SPJ
07-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Puja;

Thank you very much for the info.

Wujimon;

I practice the Lao Jia Yi Lu just about everytime I practice Tai Ji. The recent short form geared toward new comers.

But it did take me a long time to learn the whole routine.

One Finger Zen
07-02-2004, 11:28 AM
thats right W, the 18 movement form was originally created by CZL.... I went the local park today and did some practice- is was really very peaceful. I did laojia yi lu and the 18 form and some taming the tiger from hung kuen and Fu-hok too :D- I love that form.

Doing taiji and hung kuen together is really good because they compliment each other in lots of ways- the root from taiji can be transferred to hung kuen and the structure of the hung kuen can be used in taiji (mainly the straightness of the vertebrae and the tucking of the tail bone).

In laojia yi lu, im up to the bit where theres a finger strike with the right arm whilst the left hand (in hook form) strikes to the back then right elbow comes for a back strike and into the punch afterwards. Probably made no sense just thought i'd say it :)

Anywayz, take care till next time

OFZ