PDA

View Full Version : Capoeira

stubbs
06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I borrowed some Capoeira DVD's off a mate of mine and one of them was Capoeira exercises and conditioning. I've been taking it easy the last couple weeks, no weights, no cycling, no nothing just to give my body some R&R.

I decided to have a go at a few of the exercises earlier on today and found them really good!! I haven't done any bodyweight exercises for ages and this feels like a different kind of "feel good" feeling to weights. I felt really heavy and clumbsy though, I don't know if thats from lack of BW training or just because I haven't done anything for the last couple of weeks. These DVD's had a lot of good exercises like your usual push up variations and divebombers and a handstand type hold but with your feet curled up. I found those particularly hard to do - didn't realise how weak I was! Unfortunately there aren't any Capoeira classes near where I live but I'm going to keep practicing these things and try to lookout for some seminars.

I don't know why I'm writing this thread but it feels good!! :)
________
Atego (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Atego)

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
have half an interest in capoeira at the moment.....haven't really got the hang of aired-gongfu yet but expect that caps 'll develope that.how are you finding that??..I know I've seen dudes pull it off here in China effortlessly, and given a little ( or a lotta ) space could probably acheive the same...

I thin k it's like a swordery psychology where you just gotta trust the flow and execute........dongma???

what's the vid like???.have awesome cap guy at second destination, eta about 8wks ish........//also I think capoerira is good base for other aerialb styled gongfu/wushu ???..thoughts???tips??? ;)

cheers

stubbs
07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
well...im finding it really hard! im a bit bulky at the mo so im finding even the most basic things difficult. i think the exercises are a really nice way of warming up and strengthening without too much impact. it'll take me a while but im sure i'll get into the flow of it eventually.

the dvd's are really good for their time. they were filmed in 1989 but it covers quite a wide variety of skills and techniques. i think capoeira is one of the few arts with a heart and soul. i love it! the first time i came across it was at a music festival and they had a demonstration and afterwards they carried on for hours playing their music in a ring with people in the middle practicing. it was such a good atmosphere.

the guy in the dvd said its all about the 'art of the beautiful fight' which is what i love about it! i think many styles have lost the 'art' in their art, which is a shame but capoeira has definatly kept it.
________
Baha'i faith dicussion (http://www.religionboard.org/bahai-faith/)

blooming lotus
07-02-2004, 05:55 PM
a lot of systems have a capoeira component.like shaolin for instance......I undestand how being a lil on the chunky could hinder that, but what better way to sweat it off.....if I do take it on I'll let you know progress..........

cheers

hey.can you give me a stockist or dvd title....maybe I'll just check that one out myself

stubbs
07-04-2004, 11:57 AM
BL - somebody's selling a set on ebay. exactly the same ones im borrowing. you've only got 1 day 17 hours tho!! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2308&item=6305032259&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
________
Squirting Blonde (http://www.****tube.com/categories/999/blonde/videos/1)

red5angel
07-07-2004, 12:22 PM
stubbs, I just started learning capoeira a couple of weeks ago and it's a freakin riot. It's the most physically challenging thing I've done in a long time. However I have found that alot of the stuff we learn to do isn't as hard as it migt first appear. What I like most about capoeira from the exercise department is it's cardio, strength and flexibility combined. It's an all around good workout.
This coming monday I start learning the more acrobatic stuff. The group I train with goes to a gymnastic school in my area that has an open gym night.

blooming lotus
07-07-2004, 05:20 PM
how many cap students have prior acrobatic skill???

Xeamus
07-07-2004, 08:34 PM
usually when they start
something like
zero

blooming lotus
07-07-2004, 09:53 PM
lao............very cool.perhaps I'll be okay after all..:P :D

Xeamus
07-07-2004, 10:25 PM
cool :D

red5angel
07-08-2004, 10:58 AM
how many cap students have prior acrobatic skill???

0. I could pull off a cartwheel ok, and my bridge wasn't bad. My kicking sucked as well so all I had was my hands and some other tricks, most of which aren't all that useful in capoeira.

however, I'm learning it's easier then it looks, even though it's still hard :cool: and I'm going to be working at the acrobatic stuff come monday.

blooming lotus
07-08-2004, 04:57 PM
by kicking, what do you mean?......like tornadoes and jazz??

how long studied and current skill level as opposed to when you began??

red5angel
07-09-2004, 07:52 AM
kicking in general. I studied WC for 4 years, not know for its kicking. I studied Shaolin Kungfu for about 4 months before the school closed down so that is about my only kicking experience since high school. Capoeira is about 80% kicking and a lot of the kicks are fairly flashy atleast in regional.

I just started capoeira a few weeks ago. I'm catching on pretty quickly but some of the kicks are hard. We started using a tornado like kick last night and I'm doing ok, I need to loosen my hips some.

blooming lotus
07-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I've been dancing, splitting and kicking hard and high for yrs, but are you getting air on spins is what I want to know..........and how long did it take you to get it???.will it ( capoiera) improve my game???........it's gotto right??

Ps.picked up some great slow mo step by steps from various sources here to airs and I'm sure I can work it.......meiguanxie ( doesn't matter). think I'll just check it out anyway

red5angel
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I started getting some height in shaolin kungfu a few months ago, they had a great set of exercises for getting you vertical. Capoeira as of yet hasn't improved that but I only have just begun. The guys at the school like to challenge themselves but getting more and more acrobatic as time goes on and quite a few of them can get up there. I'm hoping that by going mondays and training with them I will too.

as for improving your game? not sure, possibly. I like the way capoeira flows, it seems to suit me well. If you want to learn some different kicks I"m sure it would help.

stubbs
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
BL - did you get those DVD's?

red - have they got you to learn the beating bao (sp?) yet? have you learnt any ungala stuff? i really wish there was a club near me!! how often are you doing it now?
________
Honda Life Dunk Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Life_Dunk)

red5angel
07-09-2004, 02:10 PM
birimbau - pronounced bee-deembau sort of. The R is a hard R that sounds like a d almost.

Haven't started yet. I can barely clap in time with the music and learn to sing in porteguese. I'm going to learn the basic set of songs first then move onto the acuabeca and then the birimbau. Sadly I think for me that is going to be the hardest part of capoeira!

Do you mean Angola? I've never heard of Ungala otherwise. Angola sort of the original capoeira.