PDA

View Full Version : Choose the color of my Chain Whip Flag

Judge Pen
06-30-2004, 11:38 AM
If you had to choose the color of the flag on your chainwhip what color would you choose: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue,
Purple, Black, or Brown?

Why?

MasterKiller
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Mine is pink because I'm so tough.

Judge Pen
06-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Pink isn't an option MK, but I'm glad to know that you are secure in your masculinity to choose that color. :p

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 11:57 AM
You should go with salmon with fucia trim. Except you shouldn't call it your chain whip, but instead call it "My thpinny thing". And you'll need matching pasties, or no one will respect you.

Once you've got that, you'll need a garter so people can give you a dollar per form, forty dollars a "lap spar".

Judge Pen
06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
KC you should make that post in the "Kung Fu Jobs" thread. I'll keep that in mind if money gets tight.

30 views and 4 votes? :confused:

norther practitioner
06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
How come mauve isn't on the list. If you go with KCs suggestion, I'd say go with mauve and lace... tell people it is directly decended from the hairy monk.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I chose green cuz I like green.

mortal
06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
With all due respect who gives a rats behind what color your whip chain flag is? What color Banana Republic underwear should I buy and why?

Judge Pen
06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mortal
With all due respect who gives a rats behind what color your whip chain flag is? What color Banana Republic underwear should I buy and why?

If you don't give a rat's behind, then don't post here. The choice of color is arbitrary so a meanless poll on KFO is as good a reason to pick a color as any other.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
I'd ask MKC if I were you. He did win the glow-in-the-dark numbamachuckles division at disneyworld, if i remember correctly.

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by mortal

Brown, for obvious reasons.

KC Elbows
06-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Might consider a brown scarf as well. Same reasons.

mortal
06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
That sounds great! It will really bring out the yellow of my teeth.

Starchaser107
06-30-2004, 03:53 PM
i think black would be a cool colour ,
as for why,
i think its a bit menacing,
don't you?

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 05:56 AM
I was leaning between black and blue. :p

I went with blue, but I'm thinking about getting a black flag for it later.

sean_stonehart
07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Black & Blue... good combo...
Yellow & Red... good combo...
Black & Red... personal fave... ;)

Ming Yue
07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
It's too late, but I say red.

:)

Long ago, when sailing ships ruled the waves, a captain and his crew were in danger of being boarded by a pirate ship. As the crew became frantic, the captain bellowed to his First Mate, "Bring me my red shirt!"

The First Mate quickly retrieved the captain's red shirt, which the captain put on and led the crew to battle the pirate boarding party. Although some casualties occurred among the crew, the pirates were defeated. Later that day, the lookout screamed that there were two pirate vessels sending boarding parties.

The crew cowered in fear, but the captain, calm as ever bellowed, "Bring me my red shirt!" And once again the battle was on, however, the Captain and his crew repelled both boarding parties,although this time more casualties occurred. Weary from the battles, the men sat around on deck that night recounting the day's occurrences when an ensign looked to the Captain and asked,

"Sir, why did you call for your red shirt before the battle?" The Captain, giving the ensign a look that only a captain can give, exhorted, "If I am wounded in battle, the red shirt does not show the wound and thus, you men will continue to fight unafraid."

The men sat in silence marveling at the courage of such a man. As dawn came the next morning, the lookout screamed that there were pirate ships, 10 of them, all with boarding parties on their way. The men became silent and looked to the Captain, their leader, for his usual command. The Captain, calm as ever, bellowed, "Bring me my brown pants!"

Meat Shake
07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
hehehe...

Why isnt white an option? White and blue or white and black would look good.

David Jamieson
07-01-2004, 11:33 AM
red-

it's lucky!

white = no no, unlucky ahhhhhhh, death death! etc etc.

black is suitable too but ultimately a flag on a chain whip has no purpose except to make falpping sounds when you spin it like a fast ferris wheel...which in turn actually slows the chain.

go figure.

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 11:39 AM
It may slow the chain, but doesn't it allow you more awareness of where the tip is and allow you to guage your timing?

MasterKiller
07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Not really. That's what people say the flag is for, but IME, it just slows the tip down and makes a lot of noise. You can see/gauge the tip just fine without the flag.

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
So I take it that you don't use a flag?

I guess if that's true then the only reason is for looks. Ohhh Pretty!

MasterKiller
07-01-2004, 11:50 AM
My light chain has a flag, but not my heavy one. I don't use a flag on my rope dart.

Practically speaking, you wouldn't want a bad guy to be able to properly gauge the speed of your chain by watching the flag, would you? Sword flags are on the opposite end the blade for distraction. Having one on the business end would work against you, methinks.

sean_stonehart
07-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
My light chain has a flag, but not my heavy one. I don't use a flag on my rope dart.

Practically speaking, you wouldn't want a bad guy to be able to properly gauge the speed of your chain by watching the flag, would you? Sword flags are on the opposite end the blade for distraction. Having one on the business end would work against you, methinks.

Gotta play Devil's Advocate (Wait... isn't that JP's job?? anyway....)Good POV about the flag... but about having something at the end of a weapon that may actually be used against you... what about the spear tassle? That right there near the end of the spear cone. The story I've always heard is the horse hair tassle helped to soak up blood before it ran down the shaft. Could that also be used by giving your opponent an item to to judge distance with? Just for arguement's sake... :D

I like the flag... I makes noises to help cover the sound of it thudding off my head... shins... arms... etc....

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 12:43 PM
I always heard that the spear tassel was also to confuse and disorient (that's why they were died red to catch the eye). I wondered if it would have the opposite effect too, but that's what I've been told.

Also, isn't it common to see a small red tassel on the back of a Guandao's blade? That can't be for catching blood. Why is it there?

MasterKiller
07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Why is it there? To be pretty.

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
And why do some peole make their spear rattle intentionally? I've heard it's another type of distraction, but wouldn't it help an opponent guage the business end of the weapon.

And while we are at it, why is the sky blue? :D

MasterKiller
07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
How do you rattle a spear? There are no moving parts.

The sky is blue because of the depth of the atmosphere.

For what it's worth, I don't think people used flags on combat weapons nearly as much as people say they did. I think it's a modern convention used to enhance training and aesthetic appeal.

When I practice sword, double sword, straight sword, etc... I remove the tassels and flags.

Starchaser107
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
mk :"When I practice sword, double sword, straight sword, etc... I remove the tassels and flags."

same

i find tassles a bit dainty looking and flags on swords as well

but the flag on the steel whip it helps with the control from my experience

Judge Pen
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Some metal in the spearhead in a gap from the shaft. Other weapons rattle also, but I suppose that's because the rings are also designed to help catch a weapon.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has any research on the history of the use of tassels and flags.

MasterKiller
07-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Pink is the color of the most precious thing in the world. And if you don't believe me, just think about how much money you spend every year on clothes, gym dues, body care products, movies, dinners, gasoline, cleaning products, and expensive sheets just to see it.

Pink is worth it's weight in gold, grasshopper.

Judge Pen
07-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Words of wisdom Lloyd; words of wisdom.

The Willow Sword
07-03-2004, 07:52 PM
The flag should be black with the Skull and crossbones printed on the flag. then ya can be a reel pirate:p

Peace,,,TWS

Oh wait:eek: how about a "rebel flag"? ;)

SevenStar
07-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Pink is the color of the most precious thing in the world. And if you don't believe me, just think about how much money you spend every year on clothes, gym dues, body care products, movies, dinners, gasoline, cleaning products, and expensive sheets just to see it.

Pink is worth it's weight in gold, grasshopper.

best

ever

Xeamus
07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Although it is true that my favourite pick up line is "Hey... how much?"
I haven't spent money on any o those things you mentioned lately
And who gave you the right to call me a grasshopper? Who the hell are you anyways

MasterKiller
07-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Xeamus
And who gave you the right to call me a grasshopper? Who the hell are you anyways I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Xeamus
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Oh so youre "the smart one" on this forum, is that it?
Are you feeling smart punk? Is that how you feel?
I bet you do charity work on mental facilities just to show the retards how "smart" you are, yeah?
I bet you play chess with 5 year old kids just to show em how "inteligent" you are, right?
I bet you get C grades and make fun of people who get C- dont you, dont you?
Very funny, young man.

MasterKiller
07-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Guilty on all accounts. Sometimes, I even debate mental midgets online to make myself feel better.

Ahhh..........

Works like a charm.

Xeamus
07-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Stop playing around on the internet, boy
Turn off your computer and your television and go find something truly positive to do, kid

MasterKiller
07-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I will turn off my computer when you can snatch this pebble from my hand....

Xeamus
07-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Go play your imature games elsewhere :mad:
A young man on his 20s playing like he is 10 years old just to annoy people trying to take a conversation here on the forum, you should be ashamed of yourself
I will ask the moderators of the forum to take care of this

BentMonk
07-05-2004, 06:48 AM
I voted for purple. It will match the bruises from chainwhip practice perfectly :D

BM2
07-05-2004, 06:41 PM
How do you rattle a spear? There are no moving parts.

The sky is blue because of the depth of the atmosphere.

For what it's worth, I don't think people used flags on combat weapons nearly as much as people say they did. I think it's a modern convention used to enhance training and aesthetic appeal.

When I practice sword, double sword, straight sword, etc... I remove the tassels and flags.

I have an antique Chinese spear head that has a brass ring that slides up and down the cone. Total length going from memory is 17" and heavier than what you get down at the martial art store.

The sky is blue because the light from the other wave lengths/colors are absorbed.

www.swordforum.com has had several posts about flags/tassels. No documented evidence on flags with the daos. There are several examples of tassles on jians. I had read an article in the '80s of a school that taught tassles strikes. The tassles were attached to a long knotted strand with fine wires to cause paper like cuts to the face and eyes.
The tassles was attached to a hole in the handle,not the end of the pommel. Real antiques were peened at the pommel except for those in the early Republic era which a few had hand cut threads and a square nut (Phillip Tom posted that). The older jians had the hole in the pommel next to the handle.
I take mine off too.

MasterKiller
07-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BM2
The sky is blue because the light from the other wave lengths/colors are absorbed. The other colors are absorbed because of the depth of the atmoshpere....;)

BM2
07-05-2004, 09:26 PM
When I was in Tibet, the first thing I noticed getting off the plane was how blue the sky was. I mean a fantastic, beautiful blue sky with white clouds that looked as if you could reach up and touch them. Here where I live, the sky is much lighter due to the pollution and humid air. Never been to the desert but I heard the sky and in particular the night sky is awesome for the same reasons.
We were at the Palata Palace in Lasha where you could look down on the valley behind it and see the clouds below you. That was preety cool, to be on land and see clouds below you. You could also see the higher ones come in and over. The swirling mists just a couple of hundred feet above us.
Although Tibet is poor it has fanstastic views. The people are almost child like in their friendly attitutde to complete strangers.
The poverty of one boy that I met by accident really got to me. I took a wrong turn and walked by this dumpster which smelled so bad that I had to walk around it. I didn't see him at first, he was bent down and small. He was beside the dumpster gathering food from it. He was filthy and smelled bad from the dumpster. Flies were everywhere on the disgusting food he salvaged. I turned back and tapped him on his shoulder. He looked up and I gave him what I had on me which only was about 20 dollars/yuan. Just wished I could have done something to make a postive change for his family. Giving handouts is not good and I know that but you had to be there. The thought of him taking that stuff home turned my stomach. I hope that at least they had something decent to eat out of what I gave. Also he should have been in school. The Chinese kids were just getting out school and had on their nice school uniforms. And here was this little guy of about 8 or 9 not going to school. I thought what kind of chance does he have for a better life.
I would have voted for a white flag.

CaptinPickAxe
07-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Oh, man. We got some friggin' nuts on this board. They don't get the point when they get banned...NOBODY WANTS THEM AROUND!

Also, MK, you broke the pink thing down like a true player. You now have the right to wear Gators and a fur coat.:D