PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox uses of TCM

anerlich
06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Could TCM (most specifically, acupuncture, but any other aspect as well) be used to produce anabolic effects similar to those of steroids or HGH? Perhaps by inducing the body to increase its own HGH production? How might one do this?

Could the output of endorphins be similarly increased, for both pain tolerance/relief and euphoric effects? Similar with other mood-altering body chemistry? How?

Are there ways to make oneself resistant, or more resistant to Dim Mak attacks (suspending any scepticism about Dim Mak for the purpose of this exercise)? How?

I ask out of curiosity, rather than any desire to follow such paths (i'm not exactly worried about imminent dim Mak attack, either ;) )

Thanks sincerely in advance for any insights.

Toby
06-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
Could TCM (most specifically, acupuncture, but any other aspect as well) be used to produce anabolic effects similar to those of steroids or HGH? Perhaps by inducing the body to increase its own HGH production? How might one do this?I doubt it or it would've been done (and documented?). Especially considering the Chinese propensity towards "supplements".

Could the output of endorphins be similarly increased, for both pain tolerance/relief and euphoric effects? Similar with other mood-altering body chemistry? How?This I would believe. I talked to my sports doc last week about muscle pain. He said he'd done a course in "dry needling" and it was his belief that often muscle pain could be treated with it. His thoughts were that some types of muscle pain are like a heart attack. Defibrillating (sp?) stops the twitching heart and lets it (hopefully) start up a regular rhythm again. Needling muscles (in his opinion) stops a twitching muscle and "resets" it to a rest state. He is a skeptic too, but he said he can't ignore the fact that needling works on people who he doesn't explain the effects to, especially children (he works with a few junior swim teams). Of course my story is about treatment, not preventative acupuncture. But I would still support the possibility.

Are there ways to make oneself resistant, or more resistant to Dim Mak attacks (suspending any scepticism about Dim Mak for the purpose of this exercise)? How?If you believe in acupuncture, then you would be more likely than the average person to believe in dim mak. Again (related to point 2 above) supposing belief in dim mak, I would say yes.

I have no evidence for or against your or my arguments. Just interested as well.

GeneChing
07-01-2004, 10:38 AM
I recently interviewed one of the Beijing Wushu Team head coaches and we talked about this quite a bit. Yes, they are using herbs, in conjunction with western scientific methods, to monitor their atheles. Blood and urine samples are regularly to alert coaches of when athletes might reach their breaking point. They mostly use herbs for joint protection and also, interestingly enough, as sedatives. When people practice that hard for long periods, and I've experienced this personally, it can induce insomnia, so they give herbs to let them sleep.

herb ox
07-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Indeed, there are many herbs to boost performance, not all of which are simply stimulants or anabolic substitutes. The problem with steroids is it develops the muscles faster than the connective tissue is able to adapt. Most of the size comes from water anyways, and other important things tend to shrink... so ultimately, why use herbs to simulate the efx of steroids when the effect is actually not that great?

Cordyceps, Siberian Ginseng, Deer antler, and Panax Ginseng have all been used with success with competing athletes. These herbs increase performance by nourishing the Lungs and supporting glandular functions. See

http://www.acupuncturefinder.com/Learning_Center/Excercise/Acupuncture_Fitness.htm

for more info and a good read.

peace
herb ox

anerlich
07-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, and especially herb ox for the link. I may have more Q's once I check it out.