PDA

View Full Version : Technical name & poetic name

GermanMantis
07-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Hi there,

im currently doing some learning on technical terms and stumbled over "poetic" desciption. Also we use some of the terms during training i like to know more. Can anyone help?

For example:

Invitation of the white ape
Mantis offers the peach
Mantis spies the cave
Lower mantis catches the cicada
Two dragons snatches th pearls
Mount Tai crashes onto the head

Best regards and thanks for reading ;)
Chris

sayloc
07-01-2004, 06:12 AM
I am also very interested in this subject!

Anyone with some info on this or where to get it please post.

GMiiI know many of these poetic names but they are from southern systems. I Dont think you would be interested in them. If you are let me know.

Tainan Mantis
07-01-2004, 04:30 PM
What is the question?

MantisCool
07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I think he wants to know the poetic terms of an application. Example: Tang Lang Chu Dong (Mantis out of the cave)

Application: Run up and grasps 3 times, first with the right hand, then left, then right and then jump up and kick with a right cross leg and at the same time poke the eyes with the left hand.

GermanMantis
07-02-2004, 02:07 AM
yes indeed. That was exactly what i wanted to know.

exp.

Seung Fung Sau in Yun Hau Bo = Baak Yun Ching Haak (Invitation of the white ape)
Seung Diu Sau in Kwa Fu Bo = Tong Long Bou Sin (Mantis catches the cicada)
Warm regards,
Chris

puja
07-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Does anyone have these in mandarin, too, perhaps with short explanation (like MantisCool) as I'm not that versed with those (I know the application but I don't know the term) :rolleyes:

best regards,

puja

GermanMantis
07-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi Puja,

i've uploaded some scans from the old Lee Kam Wing Book to illustrate the positions.

Baak Yun Ching Haak
http://unerhoert.piranho.com/kungfu/Yun%20Hau%20Bo.jpg

Tong Long Bou Sin
http://unerhoert.piranho.com/kungfu/Tong%20Long%20Bo%20Sin.jpg

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Chris

puja
07-02-2004, 04:43 AM
GermanMantis,

when I click on your links no pictures are loaded. I even tried downloading them directly but the only thing I get are white 1x1 px gif-images. Probably it's piranho's fault. I had a piranho account, too, but I don't use it anymore because of the many problems I encountered.

best regards,

puja

GermanMantis
07-02-2004, 05:24 AM
Hi Puja,

hmmm i see the problem.

O.k. I'll try it this way.

GermanMantis
07-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Here the Tong Long Bou Sin

mantis108
07-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the scans. The difficulty with poetic names is that there are a wide range of interpretations. For example, Fair Lady Works the Shuttle in Tanglang and in Taiji are very different eventhough they are by the same name. However, there are certain conventions to go by and in affiliated schools. Terms would be interpreted similarly based on the share principles of the schools. That's why principles of a style is so important. For example," inviting guest" in San Shou (not the sport) environment, is basically a Chin Na Move that uses 2 arms to lock the opponent's one arm (usually right arm) in a sort of a football carrier manner. You would also start out this move from the inside gate to the outside gate. This doesn't necessary apply to a move by the same names in the form(s). That's the confusing part.

There is an old saying "point at a deer and call it a horse." We certainly want to have clarity when it comes to Kung Fu.

The wonderful thing about poetic name is that students of the same school could "sparr" verbally by giving the name of the move as initial attack and the other student could give the appropriate count by calling the next move. Kind of like playing the 8 balls. Call the shot and make the shot.

Anyway, Tanglang Puchan/Tong Long Bou Sin (mantis catches ciccada) is another example of different interpretation. Most PM stylist would immediately think of the picture that you provided. But I make a distinction of this move with our Shou Fa combination by the same name. The application(s) of this move that I would call Gwa Fu Bou Sin is different from our TLPC which we have put in the wooden dummy book.

Hope this helps. :)

Warm regards

Robert

puja
07-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi Chris,

thanks for putting up those scans.