PDA

View Full Version : WC Question

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 07:48 AM
I heard in mainland China that Yip Man Wing Chun is not considered Wing Chun at all, that it is a baby art compared to the true Wing Chun. Anyone care to comment on this statement and spread your thoughts?

t_niehoff
07-01-2004, 08:50 AM
You, sir, are a troll.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 08:52 AM
By asking a question?

t_niehoff
07-01-2004, 08:57 AM
It's not just by asking a question -- for instance, I could ask if is it true your mother is a *****? and isn't bak mei considered an art for mental retards? (neither of which I think is true, just making a point). If you ask troll questions, you are a troll.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 09:00 AM
hum! Ok, well the trolling question still stands. Any comments on the question at hand?

t_niehoff
07-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Wise people do not feed the trolls. Instead, we should spank them! You are a troll.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Its a simple question fueled by what I have heard in China. I am just trying to hear what others might have heard or have experience with. I believe that is what these forums are for, I guess if that is trolling I appologize, but if anyone cares to post there thoughts I would be interested still. Thanks

Tom Kagan
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
My thoughts on your questions would be you also heard in mainland China that mainland Ving Tsun is also a baby art compared to the Bak Mei of "Lao Xiu Luang of Foshan Bak Mei through Lao Xiu Luang of Foshan China" and that no one else in the USA is qualified to teach The Truth™ about what you heard except the "one true Disciple in the USA".

I believe that my thoughts above is a correct usage of what you claim as your understanding of "what these forums are for". I guess if that is trolling I also apologize.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 09:58 AM
I said that about Ving Tsun and Bak Mei? I must have slept through that post. You guys really need to stick to the question as it has nothing to do with putting down an art or about Bak Mei at all. You guys have real problems but also real talent on how you can twist everything. :confused:

sihing
07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
yeah your right about that sometimes on this forum, I'm surprised anerlich hasn't contributed his 2 cents worth, he's a real "twisted" sister, lol...

Sihing

PaulH
07-01-2004, 10:46 AM
"hum! Ok, well the trolling question still stands. Any comments on the question at hand?"

Ask the Urukai. Rumor is they helped to stamp out the last vestige of the race that you mentioned! =)

Tom Kagan
07-01-2004, 10:47 AM
As for me having problems, I will be the first to exclaim from the rooftops that I have many problems. I feel that, on the whole, most reasonable people will have a good understanding within themselves as to what their own numerous problems might be (and, possibly, my problems, too :D )

I will also be the first to exclaim from the rooftops that I have no talent at all for twisting my words from "you also heard" into "you also said" as you have done in your last post (whether you were awake or asleep at the time is not all that relevant).

I will also be the first to exclaim that hitting the "search" button located under my posts will reveal a great deal about me, just as hitting the "search" button under your posts reveals a great deal about you.

And, I will also claim that to truly stick to a question in a fashion you portend to want, one must also take into consideration who is doing the asking and who is doing the answering. However, as you posted elsewhere, "There is a lot of history you do not know about all of that. You should drop it!" So, I will.

:cool:

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Ok, anyone else have comments?

hunt1
07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Dont know much about trolls but I will answer your question.

1. I have and I know many others that have crossed hands with mainland wing chun students and sifus. I have never heard that anyone had felt that Yip Man wing chun did not stand up or was in anyway less than what was felt from our mainland brothers. Some thought that what has been passed down from Yip Man was even more effective.

2. There has been and is anti YM bias held by some mainland wing chun players probably because how famous YM wing chun is compared to others.

3 Yip man teachings among his students varied. Your opinion of YM wing chun will vary depending upon which version of YM wing chun you see .

4. The fact that Yip Man cut out some movements not needed for fighting has led some to say his wing chun lacks 'x'. Not true he did teach some those movements. He also simplified the names used in the system. This contributes to the feeling that Yip man didnt know all the wing chun etc.

There are other things I could add but I think this answers your question.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Ah, ok thank you. I have heard some of that also.

Yeah, I did not say that one is necessarily better or worse, I am just floating around what I heard and was wanting some of the others on here to voice there thoughts on it. Mainly what I have heard is that in China they dont say it is in-effective but just that it is not Wing Chun. Thats all I heard. Thanks again hunt1.

Ernie
07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Go Jun Long Ok, anyone else have comments?

sure can i have your autograph powder :D

dude what does any of that have to do with dealing with a bum rush of head butt's knee's and elbows

a foot in the balls , a nice right cross or a bottle being broke over you head

you know random acts of violence

how is your question makeing the world a better place

no go pretend to be a tiger or horse or what ever imaginary beast traditional nut bags sit around doing all day

oh yea and don't forget to feel your chi

good lord !

Rhat
07-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Go Jun Long
I heard in mainland China that Yip Man Wing Chun is not considered Wing Chun at all, that it is a baby art compared to the true Wing Chun. Anyone care to comment on this statement and spread your thoughts?

I heard the same story in mainland China. Many would be wise if they did not think themselves wise.

Go Jun Long
07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
interesting, this is what I was wanting to know, whether others had experienced this before. Thanks.

Nice saying, it reminds me of this one:

"The fool who knows he is a fool is for that very reason wise.
The fool who thinks himself wise is the greatest fool of all "

Shakyamuni

Sam
07-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Here are some of the differences in Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen

1) Tork instead of slant body
2) Many fist, palm, claw, and finger formations ie; ginger fist, pheonix eye, monkey claw.
3) Hei/Nei Gung
4) Siu Baat Gwa (Little Octagon) footworks
5) Stake Dummy, Low Horse Dummy, Knives and Pole Dummy.
This is just touching the surface. This art is being taught by James Cama Sifu http://futsaoyongchunkuen.com/
Also Sifu Cama has evolved the two man forms from the applications Grand Master Leung Chi Man transmitted for full body Chi Sao sensitivity.

Ultimatewingchun
07-01-2004, 03:15 PM
"I heard in mainland China that Yip Man Wing Chun is not considered Wing Chun at all, that it is a baby art compared to the true Wing Chun. Anyone care to comment on this statement and spread your thoughts?"

Go Jun Long:

You heard no such thing...you're just a moron looking to start an argument.

GET LOST!

old jong
07-01-2004, 04:07 PM
looking to start an argument GET LOST!

You can't stand competition Victor?...
;)

Rhat
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun

Go Jun Long:

You heard no such thing...

He did. Your refusal need not be point-blank; you cannot act for others.

Edmund
07-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Rhat is Go Jun Long.
:D

Rhat
07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Is Edumd = Almond?:cool:

desertwingchun2
07-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Ah, ok thank you. I have heard some of that also.

Yeah, I did not say that one is necessarily better or worse, I am just floating around what I heard and was wanting some of the others on here to voice there thoughts on it. Mainly what I have heard is that in China they dont say it is in-effective but just that it is not Wing Chun. Thats all I heard. Thanks again hunt1.

I'll probably be called a troll for posting this. But as the saying goes - don't shoot the messenger!

The following is from a recent conversation with a wing chun player in China. This reply was not to my comments but part of the same thread.

".... I used to follow the same idea as you that all wing chun is the same, and it all did, for the most part come from the same root. But I have had the fortuneate oppotunity to witness first hand many different styles, such as YKS/SN wing chun ( what i play ) Pin San/Gulou wing chun, Pang Lam wing chun, Fatsan wing chun, Hong Kong wing chun, to name a few, and some of them have huge differences, hong kong wing chun is definatly a bread of its on ( not saying thats a bad thing ) but from mainland wing chun there are huge differences, and lots of standard training stuff missing that are still around on the mainland, .... and this is just a couple of examples, wing chun is wing chun, we all fly under the same banner but there are differences that are almost equal to differences in two completely different styles of kung fu, between some. ..... "

-David

anerlich
07-01-2004, 07:54 PM

Yes. I think this comment is utter rubbish and anyone who trolls with it on an internet forum is a total moron.

Is that clear enough?

anerlich
07-01-2004, 07:57 PM
a wing chun player in China

unnamed, and his wisdom and experience unspecified, but obviously subject to the same parochialism as the rest of us.

How much has this guy really seen of any of the styles he mentioned, especially YMWC, in which there is huge stylistic variation, and why does his opinion carry more weight than anyone else's?

anerlich
07-01-2004, 08:35 PM
he's a real "twisted" sister, lol...

cool, I have a fan club :rolleyes:

desertwingchun2
07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by anerlich

How much has this guy really seen of any of the styles he mentioned, especially YMWC, in which there is huge stylistic variation, and why does his opinion carry more weight than anyone else's?

Anerlich, since you were refering to my post allow me to say his opinion is from his experience and it carries as much weight as yours. However, as he lives in China and you live in Australia it is probable that he has more first hand experience with WCK from mainland China. I don't know how much knowledge of Yip Man family WCK he's been exposed to.

Its a simple question fueled by what I have heard in China. I am just trying to hear what others might have heard or have experience with. I believe that is what these forums are for, I guess if that is trolling I appologize, but if anyone cares to post there thoughts I would be interested still. Thanks

My post was in response to the above. If responses such as yours are par for the course how do expect to ever learn what WCK from mainland China is like? I mean isn't the point of wing chun forums to learn more about wing chun??

-David

anerlich
07-01-2004, 09:51 PM
If responses such as yours are par for the course how do expect to ever learn what WCK from mainland China is like?

If most of what is put on here about mainland WC is hearsay from unnamed sources which put down other branches to lift themselves up, I guess the answer is: "You can't".

AmanuJRY
07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Looks like troll, smells like troll...let's see how it tastes.

Why don't they consider it Wing Chun?

It has the same forms.
The concepts (theory, philosophy) are (for the most part) the same.

What is it that *defines* it as Wing Chun?

desertwingchun2
07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
If most of what is put on here about mainland WC is hearsay from unnamed sources which put down other branches to lift themselves up, I guess the answer is: "You can't".

I don't believe it was his intention to "put down other branches to lift themselves up". The main discussion was focussed on bridge training meathods. He was trying to explain why the intended party might be having difficulty understanding his point. Basically how the system he trains...

"YKS/SN wing chun ( what i play )",

has many bridge training meathods that are not commonly found in what he termed ....

"hong kong wing chun".

-David