PDA

View Full Version : Chen Style long fist: What do you guys think of this?

Fu-Pow
07-01-2004, 10:43 AM
http://www.cmaod.com/ChenTaiChiVCD4.html

Is it really the lost Chen style long fist forms?

SPJ
07-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Yes, there is some truth in it.

The stories I cannot confirm.

At the time, "long" boxing means the set is long and continuous like a river flows.

Long boxing nowadays is a more recent term to group northern boxings by Nanjing Kuoshu committe in early last century.

Tai Ji Quan did evolve from Tai Ji "long" boxing.

This is from study and practice of Wushu.

As far as historians are concerned, they can argue all they want.

I certainly would recommend to anyone that has some Tai Ji Quan background.

:)

One Finger Zen
07-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Its a new one on me :confused:

SPJ
07-04-2004, 01:17 AM
I usually like to see the moves to believe it. From the moves, we may trace back to the origins.

Anyway, here is the history. According to Tang Hou's "Research in Tai Ji Quan", People's Sports Publisher, Beijing, 1964.

Ming's general Chi Ji Kuang (1528-1587) compiled 32 postures from 10 big Jia's in the civilian circles. He called them "Quan Jing 32 Shi's". It was used to train soldiers.

Some years later, around 1644, retired general Chen Wang Ting was compiling boxing methods (Quan Fa's) at the time. He wrote the "Quan Jing Zuong Ger" and created Tai Ji Quan (13 Shi's), long boxing 108 Shi's, and Pao Zhui Yi Lu. He borrowed 29 Shi's from general Chi's 32 Shi's.

Most of Wushu was passing down orally without any written records in Chen's family.

Only Chen Xin (1849-1929) documented that they studied Tai Ji Quan in the family.

Yang Lu Chan (1799-1872) was a student of Chen Chang Xing. Yang studied Lao Jia and developed the Yang's style of Tai Ji Quan and introduced to the royalty and civilian in Beijing. Yang Tai Ji is now the most widely practiced physical activity in the world.

The rest is in the realm of myths and legends.

Peace.

:cool: