PDA

View Full Version : Crushing my CoC (Fri night workout)

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:23 AM
I'm on a roll. Here's a series of photos of my Friday night workout. Here's the workout:

(Superset 1)
3 x up rolling away and down followed by up rolling towards and down x 33lb wrist rollups.
3 x 6 x Janda's with an 8kg == 18lb medicine ball

(Superset 2)
3 x 3 x #2 CoC. I can crush it sometimes on the first rep of a set, but not twice in a row yet.
3 x 8 each side x full contact twists with 25kg == 55lb on one side of the Oly bar.

(Superset 3)
3 x 14 x #1 Coc gripper.
3 x 6 x ab rollers (only on my knees - can't do it standing up yet).

(Cooldown)
3 x homemade heavy hammer II. Awesome - alliteration always arouses me ;). 1 set is e.g. N, S, NW, SE, W, E, SW, NE, S, N.

Photo 1 is showing I actually own a #2 gripper:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Crushing the #2 with my right hand:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Another:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:33 AM
One more:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:34 AM
And here's as close as I can get the left hand:

Ford Prefect
07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
If you look closely, you can see the "T" on the bottom of the gripper in the crushing it pics. :p

Haha. j/k. Nice work.

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Bit further away from the camera:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:37 AM
:p Thanks Ford. I thought the "T" and the "1" got confused? Another:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Last one - promise:

Toby
07-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Nice blood highlights in some of them. Guys, crushing the #2 is hard enough. Ever try crushing it while taking photos with the other hand? :D It wasn't easy. That's why there isn't a sequence of open-close-open. I had to concentrate, close, then start taking shots, then I could relax. Once it's closed, you can sort of hold it shut. That's how I trained up to closing it - I'd crush it as much as possible, then use the other hand to close it, then do slow negatives, 3 x 3. That's what I still do for most of them, but I've closed the right hand probably about 5 times now at the beginning of sets so I think I've got it. I tried on the 1st set tonight to take open-close-open shots, but I didn't get within an inch of closing.

BTW Ford, I never got the T. I just bought the #1 and #2 straight up. I remember opening them thinking I'd just do a nice set on the #1. What a shock when I couldn't get 1 rep :D. No regrets, though. If I had the T now it'd sit unused. I've almost got the left hand, then I'm chasing reps with both. It's definitely helped my MA. I noticed the other night that I was getting some nice grabs in on the drills we were working. The other guy noticed it too. He didn't say anything, but I could see him rubbing his arm occasionally. I was really clawing in.

You know, Foo (if you're reading), I feel more of a braggart posting photos than just mentioning numbers. But you asked for proof, so you're getting it. In buckets :p.

FatherDog
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Toby
And here's as close as I can get the left hand:

This is where I can get the #2 with my right hand :D

Good job, Tob. I can close the #1 with no difficulty, but the #2 continues to elude me.

Toby
07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
FD, I used to go 3x8 on the #1 and 3x3 on the #2 as much as I could then negatives like I said. But recently I took it up a notch. Now I push it, first it was 3x10, then 3x12, now 3x14 on the #1. 3x8 wasn't my limit. I also started doing the heavy hammers a while back. Both these things have really helped me get the #2 and that in turn has really helped my grip improve outta sight IMO. Doesn't mean my forearms won't be fried in the morning, though :D.

FatherDog
07-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Doesn't mean my forearms won't be fried in the morning, though :D.

Well, yeah, that's my main limiting factor - I train grappling 4-5 times a week. My forearms are usually already fried in the morning. :D

IronFist
07-02-2004, 11:48 AM
I can usually close the 1.

Some guy at my gym had a 2 a few years ago. I tried to close it once and I got about half way.

I don't really use them much. Maybe like 1 rep a week when I see them on my book case and think to pick them up.

I should use them more.

Merryprankster
07-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I loved them, but had to give them up.

They gave me a bad case of teninitis. No matter how much I warmed up, no matter what routine I used, I just had problems with them.

But it was fun while it lasted!

Congrats!

norther practitioner
07-02-2004, 01:37 PM
I was thinking of getting a #1 and keeping it my desk at work. It would prob. work for my stress relief too.

Merryprankster
07-02-2004, 01:43 PM
If you've never tried them before, I'd really consider the Trainer....

rubthebuddha
07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
and when you're done with a trainer, just give or sell 'em to someone else. they are darn good tools, and everyone should have a stronger grip.

i moved this past week, and lifted stuff that six months ago (when a #1, my first CoC, was under the christmas tree) my shoulders and arms would have handled fine but my hands would have wussed out on after 15 seconds. i don't train my grip as consistently as i should, but i'm about a pube's width from closing a #1 with either my right or my left. not fantastic, but it's better than six months ago. :)

Toby
07-03-2004, 04:47 AM
A greek pube or a normal one :D?

Good luck with Euro 2004, even though you're only a fraction (?).

FooFighter
07-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Toby,

I have been reading and you can do whatever you want as long as you're happy. It is the American way and as they say in the Afro-American influenced parts of the United States of America, "Do you, son."

I personal use Ivanko http://ivanko.com/products/html_stuff/gripper_info.html and in my opinion think it is pretty superior in quality than CoC. I am glad you are doing well ; keep up the good work and next time when I feel manly I will post up my pics.

abobo
07-06-2004, 02:18 PM
crushing the #3...

rubthebuddha
07-06-2004, 04:28 PM
dang. i never knew abobo was one of the holle family. :D

IronFist
07-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by abobo
crushing the #3...

Attachment: crush3.jpg
This has been downloaded 8 time(s).