PDA

View Full Version : WSBB's Dynamic Box Squat Manual

Ford Prefect
07-02-2004, 08:45 AM
(Westside Barbell: http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com )

I just got one because I was one of the first 50 people to complete a survey they sent out. It's not too bad. Breaks down dynamic box squat cycles percentage wise for beginner's, intermediate, and advanced in cycles with just the bar, with chains, and with bands. It has a couple other cycles and an exercise called the mummy band walk that they use to train the hips.

Toby
07-02-2004, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't mind getting some bands. I've been into the chains, until I took up Foo's challenge. But the chains sucked for DL the way I had them set up. I use a grab hook to regulate the chain length and it's too short for DL and releases itself and the chain falls off. So no chain DL's. I also want to try boxes eventually. I'll have to read up on them. Do you make your own box? I was thinking of making one with the three different dimensions w, l and h being a few inches different so you could have different heights to squat to just by moving the box. Would strong hardwood be enough? Or does it have to be welded metal, preferably braced? I'd hate to sit down with 300lb and have it collapse :eek:.

FatherDog
07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Do you make your own box? I was thinking of making one with the three different dimensions w, l and h being a few inches different so you could have different heights to squat to just by moving the box. Would strong hardwood be enough? Or does it have to be welded metal, preferably braced? I'd hate to sit down with 300lb and have it collapse :eek:.

I use a bench press bench, myself. It's probably a little lower than it should be, but I'm training for MMA, not powerlifting - it's still higher than my level change when I shoot, so I figure it's not so bad.

Ford Prefect
07-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I usually do the same as FD. I also used Reebok "Steps" when I was at a gym. I'm building one though. If you use small sections stacked on each other, the wood will hold.

Toby
07-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I was thinking my bench. Dunno about the height though. But the bench is rock solid, so it'll do the job.

IronFist
07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
A bench press bench is way too high for me to squat on. It's like way above thighs at vertical.

Anyway, my old gym had a box for squatting that just happened to be the perfect height for me. It was thick, solid wood. I'd make sure that anything you make is very sturdy.

At my new gym I have to set up a variable-height Rebok-stepper thing to the right height. I can't get it exact (it goes up and down in like 2" increments), but it's close enough. Since it's rectangular, I use it the skinny way. In other words, I sit down onto the small side, and not the long side.

So a top view would be like this:

Front
Me
||
|| <--- stepper
||
Back

By sitting on the end of it I have the weight being supported by the spacers that hold it up, and that's more sturdy than sitting the middle where it could bow and bend.

Something I found helpful when squatting on an actual box, tho, is to turn it 45 degrees to the side so the corner is between your feet. Then you can sit back and not worry about hitting the edge or anything.

Ford Prefect
07-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Iron,

That's how I do it on the bench and that's how you're supposed to do it when you have a box.

Toby
07-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Something I found helpful when squatting on an actual box, tho, is to turn it 45 degrees to the side so the corner is between your feet. Then you can sit back and not worry about hitting the edge or anything. Or you could squat properly with your feet 4 feet apart. Then you could sit on a park bench and not hit the edges :D.

FatherDog
07-02-2004, 11:49 AM
A bench press bench is way too high for me to squat on. It's like way above thighs at vertical.

That's because you're short. :D

IronFist
07-02-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm 5'9". That's pretty average. I like my height, tho.

I would assume that most bench press benches are the same height, right?

Or maybe the bench isn't too high. You know, now I'm curious.

But I'm pretty sure I tested it on one of those independent benches (the mobile ones that aren't attached to a bench press rack) and I thought it was too high.

Hmmmm.

The point is, box squats own you.

Toby
07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
You're 1/2" shorter than my wife ;).

I've got a commercial style flat bench. I think I tried it once and it was just above parallel. I'll test it again maybe.

FatherDog
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm 5'9". That's pretty average. I like my height, tho.

I would assume that most bench press benches are the same height, right?

I'd assume benches are pretty much standard for height, otherwise you'd be screwing up the people that are training for competition. I might be wrong, though.

Or maybe the bench isn't too high. You know, now I'm curious.

Well, I'm 6'4". Too high for you might well be low for me :D

The point is, box squats own you.

Laying down the correct!

Toby
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Here's (http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/SpecializedStations/PowerBenches/WFB350.html) mine. It's even got a photo of me. Handsome aren't I? :p Anyway, stats say 20" high. Stick a tape measure to your butt, Iron. How low do you go?

Ford Prefect
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Naw. My old gym had 3 different benches and they were 3 different heights. It was just above parellel, parellel, and just below parellel for me.

IronFist
07-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Toby
You're 1/2" shorter than my wife ;).

Yeah, but you guys are in Australia and that's like the bottom half of the Earth which means gravity is making you taller. :p