PDA

View Full Version : Judo question

IronFist
07-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Does Judo have submissions and ground fighting in it?

Cuz the video clip that someone posted in the "this is how the best train" thread had an arm bar in it, and someone put someone in the guard. I thought Judo was just throwing people and then you got a point.

Meat Shake
07-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Yes there is ground fighting in judo. Its called newaza.
Thats about all Im good for... Cant say I know all that much about judo.

Kristoffer
07-03-2004, 12:14 PM
http://www.judoinfo.com/techjudo.htm

MasterKiller
07-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I imagine good Judo, like good everything else, covers a wide array of applications and fighting ranges.

qeySuS
07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Yup groundfighting in Judo, and i belive Rhadi Fergusson (the guy on the thread you were talking about) is not only a Judo Olympian, but also a BJJ brown belt.

SevenStar
07-03-2004, 08:21 PM
judo has plenty of ground work - position, submission, etc. there is even a group that focuses mainly on groundwork. In competition, groundwork is allowed - choking and various arm locks. judo has leglocks and spine locks, but they are not allowed in competition.

The thing about groundwork in judo competition is that judo is a sport of action... you will actually get penalized if you don't attack at least every 10 seconds. When you are on the ground, they will let you work for a pin or submission - but you have to work fast. If they think the action is beginning to lull, they will stand you back up. This will happen after about 10-15 seconds, depending on the ref.

on the ground, you may win by submission or by pin - pinning the guy for 25 seconds.

Merryprankster
07-04-2004, 06:13 AM
If they think the action is beginning to lull, they will stand you back up. This will happen after about 10-15 seconds, depending on the ref.

LOL!! 7* nailed the rules for the most part, but refs are supposed to allow action to continue on the ground as long as progress is being made towards a finish - here's the interpretation I've found at Judo tournaments:

Most referees come from a particular generation of Judo that REALLY emphasized the throwing minus newaza (time limit for newaza, which is no longer in place - so what would you train?) and can't figure out what "progress" means. I've been stood back up so many times when I was literally a couple seconds away from passing guard to a pin or submitting somebody. I don't really care, it's just a point - because what I really go to Judo tournaments for is the throwing.

Every now and again you get a throwback like Jimmy Takemori who knows what he's watching. The match he reffed on me I lost, (**** Russians - but he never threw me for more than yuko even with his funky makikomi tai otoshi) but at least he understood what I was doing and let me work for a couple of seconds.

omarthefish
07-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Awww. come one...havin't you heard yet?

BJJ = Basically Just Judo.

:D

IronFist
07-04-2004, 10:22 PM
^ lol

Asia
07-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by omarthefish
Awww. come one...havin't you heard yet?

BJJ = Basically Just Judo.

:D

And where did you get this lil gem.:P

Sad that I never got a chance to get those shirts printed. I wanted to wear one when I went to Pan Ams.