PDA

View Full Version : is fook sau used for as a block? if someone were to punch you, could you use fook sau to block the h

wingchunwsl
06-19-2001, 08:12 PM
hey everyone, i just started wing chun a month a go so i'm not sure of everything i learned. i was just wondering what fook sao was used for. eventually, how would i know the applications to all these different moves? thanks for your time. :p

whippinghand
06-19-2001, 08:51 PM
Fuk sau can be the transition from 1 block to another, but not your initial block. It's not strong enough.

ATENG
06-19-2001, 09:25 PM
i was under the impression that there are no hard blocks in wing chun

---------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an
eye. Then its just fun.

nickle
06-19-2001, 10:20 PM
of course you can use fook as a block... even as your initial block...

saying you cant is like saying there are no blocks in wing chun...

as for the comment about fook being too weak, i completely disagree, i find fook to be one of the most powerful blocks as in the amount of force one can redirect with it, not as in it is hard...

-specialization is for ants-

MikeDensity
06-20-2001, 02:01 AM
My limited experience is that it can work as a block (though my sifu would kill me if heard me use the word 'block'), fuk sau puts you in a very good 'feeling' position from which you can act based on the movement of your opponent. When your hand is curved around the arm of the opponent with proper forward energy, there isn't anyway for them to move without you feeling it. Of course, the best answer you get on this question will probably come from your sifu!

As far as learning applications, the great thing about Wing Chun is that there are no static maneuvers and no 'If they do this, I do this' applications. If your understanding and practice of Wing Chun (especially Siu Lum Tao) is right then your arm will just do a fuk sao when it needs to and people will think you're magical :eek: :D

greedy
06-20-2001, 02:47 AM
I was always taught fook sao to be an extension of the natural reactions to strikes at the midsection. Try hvaing a friend move to strike you in the guts with a straight punch, and take note of the natural reaction. The vast majority of people will pull their elbows and forearms in, in a crude fook sao movement.

Fook sao also teaches sensitivity, and provides a good starting point for wrestling-type encounters.

cheers

tnwingtsun
06-20-2001, 06:11 AM
i was under the impression that there are no hard blocks in wing chun,

There are no blocks what so ever in WT,well you already knew that ATENG.

It could be understood in a way as a structurely sound heavy elbow punch that if crossed a incoming punch deflects(NOT BLOCKS) that punch by its structure alone,just one of many ways to think about "Fuk-Sao"

kungfu cowboy
06-20-2001, 06:23 AM
Yeah, path of least resistance, and all that.

Wei Sui
06-20-2001, 08:10 AM
Everyone has fantastic comments...here's my addition/$0.02

Fok sau means "on top of"...

With this in mind we can determine that "YES" a fuk can be use to block. ie. an upper cut type of strike starting from a low point, u can use your fuk to almost trap by sticking/hooking on top of the the "uppercut type of strike". I guess it may also depend on how you do your fuk sau...some do it w/ the fingers to the side, some do it fingers down. I have taken William Cheung WC and "regular" (for lack of better terms...I am now with the latter :-)) both ways have taught me fingers down.... but whatever works works:) But anyhow this is my intercepting punch example..to add on to everyones great comments.

Wei Sui

PS. On a side note, for the people that do fuk to the side, what are some of the reasonings behind it, very interesting

Dai yut tow dai :)

Armin
06-20-2001, 09:00 AM
Hi guys!

When I learned Fook Sao, I was taught, that this is a kind of starting position where you control the center-line and have contact with the opponent's hand.

But, if you're experienced, you don't use this "strange" hand-position. In fact it's all in the ellbow-positioning and the right pressure. The hand-position just helps the beginner to bring in the ellbow and build up the correct tension and pressure.

As an exercise I teach the following: you get attacked with a straight punch, e. g. right. You get contact (on the outside) with the left hand and put your ellbow on the center-line (the hand could do a fist, stay straight or turn back) - that's the Fook-Sao. From this position you go ahead with a central straight punch. Ok, it's a Dan-Chi-application.

So there are not four techniques (contact - Fook-Sao - Jum-Sao - punch) but it's one short and straight movement.

Armin.

mun hung
06-20-2001, 09:55 AM
I agree with Armin that the fook sau can be used on the outside of a straight punch quite effectively. Provided you are using forward pressure from the elbow. We use this in a combination drill we practice.

S.Teebas
06-20-2001, 03:14 PM
Fook sau is a structure in your arm that is supported through your stance (through to the ground). The arm structure pivots at your shoulder, so when contact is made it should react to the incoming force. When contact is made...if your stance and overall structure is strong, then you will be able to unbalance him through the natural effect the pivoting shoulder created in the arm ...an arc. This arc has 2 vectors of force as opposed to your opponents which will have one one. Once you opponent is unbalanced...WACK, WACK, WACK! (where-ever you like!) while he's thinking about how to get his balance back you can only have to decide where you want to hit him. But this applys to fook, tan and bong.

wingchunwsl
06-20-2001, 11:30 PM
i think i understand more. thanks everyone. :D

Sharky
06-22-2001, 02:09 AM
straight punch, e. g. right. You get contact (on the outside) with the left hand and put your ellbow on the center-line (the hand could do a fist, stay straight or turn back) - that's the Fook-Sao. From this position you go ahead with a central straight punch. Ok, it's a Dan-Chi-application.

you'd have to be super man to be able to catch a proper punch with that move. try it against a decent boxer.

My anus is superiorâ„¢

tnwingtsun
06-22-2001, 07:29 AM
Welcome back my friend,hope all is well in your world. :)

nickle
06-25-2001, 03:00 AM
comon, you can use a fook against a straight punch, or an uppercut or a hook (not really but can be done), fook is the more controlling version of jum sao, and is an excellent block

i dont understand how you people cant see this.

congratulations to the one person who talked about the natural reaction of pulling your elbows in being a crude fook...

comon think ****it!

tnwingtsun
06-25-2001, 09:44 AM
LOL!

Train some more and get the "Block" out of your
WC or you will miss the whole point!

Train a few more years then come back and tell us to think!

Armin
06-25-2001, 04:38 PM
Hi tnwingtsun!

Yes, all's well finaly. Hope you're fine, too.

Armin.

whippinghand
06-26-2001, 12:41 AM
Fuk sau is not a strong enough position to be an initial block. It is a transition to something else.

nickle
06-26-2001, 01:21 AM
tnwingtsun, i dont mean a block as in a karate block, or any other form of hard block, i mean that it can be used to stop a punch, lets not mince words. call it deflection or whatever else, a fook can be used to stop an incoming punch from hitting you,

as for the whole transition thing, i firmly believe fook can be used as a "block" initially and continuously, as it provides a good amount of sticky control.

secondly if you really want to get technical, any movement in wing chun can be used "transitionally" (sorry dont even know if thats a word, u know what i mean.) as in any movement you make can fold into another depending on the opponents movements, the beauty of wing chun is that a punch is only a punch when it contacts the target. my sifu describes this as "your outgoing hand being like a question" if theres no answer, the hand becomes a punch/strike, if its answered, you ask another question.

anywyas, ciao

nice discussion this,