PDA

View Full Version : Your Wing-Chun Training???

Grappling-Insanity
06-20-2001, 03:45 AM
I got a question does most of your guys classes concentrate on trapping??. Or do they have a more boxing style range to them???

Watchman
06-20-2001, 05:32 AM
>>>does most of your guys classes concentrate on trapping??.<<<

That's actually one of the biggest misconceptions of what chi sau is actually for. Chi Sau isn't necessarily a "trapping" exercise, it's an exercise intended for: developing power, increasing reaction time, gaining sensitivity, and above all to learn how to find openings in the opponent's defense to strike him.

Trapping only has to happen when the opponent doesn't hold a position that covers his center, or protects his balance base. In the case that he doesn't, then no "trap" need happen -- I just bridge (make contact) and hit him (then keep hitting him).

Here's an analogy that help you visualize it: If you execute a double-leg takedown on someone who doesn't know how to draw his legs up into a defense (ie. guard), then you don't have to do a guard pass do you? You just go straight into mount and ground 'n pound.

Same thing applies to Wing Chun. Once I close the gap and bridge the opponent I immediately sense through the contact if he's got any center control, and if not I just blast through and start raining down the destruction (mostly through chain punching, but there are other creative ways to go about dismantling somebody). If he DOES have a modicum of center control (and you don't have to be a Wing Chun guy to have center control -- I fought a Muay Thai practioner once who knew how to cover and gave me some serious difficulty) I feel where I can either wedge through, circle, press, or pull to clear a path to strike.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you have to label a "range" on where the bulk of our training is done, most of our work takes place in the area somewhere between what you would consider "boxing range" and "clinching range".

There is also heavy work done on how to safely close the distance with someone (the MOST dangerous part of the fight), and how to properly position yourself. Wing Chun is more than just a bunch of fancy hand moves used to "trap" a guy -- it's about putting your power in the right place at the right time to shut your opponent down and start remodeling his anatomy.

At the same time, how you position yourself in a fight is pretty much dictated by how and where your opponent moves. Wing Chun gives you alot of options in how you can fight your individual battle.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.
-- Tzu-kung

kungfu cowboy
06-20-2001, 06:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> -- it's about putting your power in the right place at the right time to shut your opponent down and start remodeling his anatomy.

[/quote]

Watchman, you crack me up! :D

OdderMensch
06-20-2001, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it's about putting your power in the right place at the right time to shut your opponent down and start remodeling his anatomy.
[/quote]

hmmm maybe thats why those "orthodox" WC guys study feng sui! :D

Watchman
06-20-2001, 07:01 AM
That's very true.

I can only "trap" someone after a lengthy analysis of my opponent's "energy", and only when I'm fighting at a certain time of day facing the proper direction.

God help you if you ever face me at 3:30 in the afternoon facing northeast on Tuesdays when I'm wearing a yellow shirt! :mad:

Other than that, I'm pretty much a wash-over. :D

Watchman&reg;

Grappling-Insanity
06-20-2001, 11:31 PM
That analegy (sp?) was a really good one. Cleared it up quite a bit for me.

Sean Madigan
06-21-2001, 06:18 PM
Hi Watchman,

I was very impressed with your answer. Clear and simple, and easy to picture.

Wish I would have wrote it.

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

Sharky
06-22-2001, 02:13 AM
i want to have watchmans babies :(

My anus is superiorâ„¢

whippinghand
06-26-2001, 02:34 AM
We concentrate on manipulation, 100% of the time.