PDA

View Full Version : Wooden dummy timber Q (non technique)

sticky fingers
07-06-2004, 07:32 AM
If you get a fresh log for a dummy body, how do you treat it before making a dummy out of it?
Some googling brought up these steps:
1. ends have to be sealed to prevent uneven drying
2. log must be debarked and treated to prevent mold and borers
3. log must be dried

What I want to know is: what do you use to seal the ends? I want something non-toxic.

what do you use to treat the log? Again I want something non- toxic.

What do you do to stop the log from splitting and checking while it dries?

All the stuff I found recommended on the net seems toxic
Any woodworkers who can help me out? thanks!

AmanuJRY
07-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm not a woodworker but I'll give you my two pennies anyway.:D

To prevent the wood from splitting, first pick a good piece of wood. If there are small cracks already and the wood isn't dry, they will get bigger. Also, do whatever you can to keep the wood straight. As it drys it will want to warp and bend, this also adds to splitting. Alot of wood is kiln dryed, I think this minimizes warping and cracking. If it does crack a little you can always fill it with wood filler before sealing it.

What I want to know is: what do you use to seal the ends? I want something non-toxic.

Good luck.

I would think the whole thing would be treated/sealed with a clear lacquer. Lacquer is pretty caustic, but can be applied with little incident, just make sure there is plenty of ventalation.

But then what exactly do you mean by non-toxic?

curtis
07-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Hi guys
Ive made lots of dummys, there one fact with wood, all wood moves and will crack as it drys out, you cant stop it, but you can control it if you do thing right.
first off you wood must be sealed Asap. on the ends first,(thats the eastest eara for watter to excape from the wood. ) wax emulchion works fine.(but a paint or varansh works as well,even tar.) This slows down the drying process,but dosent stop it.
After the bark has been removed, and the wood has been rounded, you can add oil the the wood, (I like tung oil, but lensseed oil ,or P.E.G. works great aswell.) the oil displaces some of the water in the wood and will help slow down the drying,and should stop the cracking. I add oil until the wood will not take any more.(6 or more coats should do it.but depends on the wood.)
After the holes (mortices) have been drilled or cut dont forget to add oil into the holes, the exposed end grain needs to be sealed.
Now the finish. What ever you like poly's. work great, I also like wax, its easy to use and easy to remove. (Remember the oil and sealer cant stop the drying,but will slow it down,the slower the wood drys the less cracking will happen)
Makeing your own dummys can be verry rewarding.
Good luck! C.A.G.

Vyvial
07-25-2004, 11:08 PM
i haven't done it but when i had mine made they used a few lumber straps or metal straps to hold it together while it dried.

mine had hardly any cracking but it was also made of ironwood... very dense, the **** things weighs about 220 lbs.

Stevo
07-26-2004, 01:45 AM
Seal the log ends with automotive grease. Use a fair dollop and apply more when it soaks in.

If you're not keeping it in the weather in Perth in winter, mold shouldn't be a problem.

Debark thick bark with the back of an axe. No need to treat it for borers once it's debarked.

To stop it checking and splitting while drying, grease the ends and wait.

Originally posted by sticky fingers
If you get a fresh log for a dummy body, how do you treat it before making a dummy out of it?
Some googling brought up these steps:
1. ends have to be sealed to prevent uneven drying
2. log must be debarked and treated to prevent mold and borers
3. log must be dried

what do you use to treat the log? Again I want something non- toxic.

What do you do to stop the log from splitting and checking while it dries?

All the stuff I found recommended on the net seems toxic
Any woodworkers who can help me out? thanks!

Stevo
07-26-2004, 08:48 PM
...and store the log hrozinally while it dries, and allow maximum airflow.

Stevo
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
...er, horizontally, that is