PDA

View Full Version : Old jow

IronFist
07-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I found a bottle of Wing Lam's dit da jow that I ordered 4 years ago. The plastic bottle is still unopened. Is it safe to use? I figure it's either really strong or really weak by now. I figure I could use in on my shins or something for Muay Thai now.

IronFist
07-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Anyone?

Indestructible
07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Jow gets better with age, however plastic does not. The plastic has probably started breaking down, who knows what that could mean for your jow. You should probably throw it out and if you get more, store it in a glass bottle.

David Jamieson
07-06-2004, 02:41 PM
depends on the plastic.

not all plastic breaks down rapidly and in fact more and more plastics have super long life.

I believe wle is using the type of plastic for their bottles that will last a long time.

anyway, if it's unopened it should be fine, but if you want to be 100% certain, shake it up and transfer it to a glass bottle.

check it if it works, good dit should clear a bruise in 3-5 days or less whereas without any bruise medicine at all it can take 10-14 days to naturall heal but the hematoma leaves a scar beneath the skin.

cheers

IronFist
07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
^ Ok but like nothing bad could happen if I put it on, right?

Like jow doesn't turn into acid or flesh eating bacteria or anything, right?

Gene? You used to work for WLE. What kind of plastic do they use?

IronFist
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I just emailed WLE and got a reply back already. He said it's still safe to use and will be even better now.

Ok, I guess I'm good to go. :)

IronFist
07-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Wow, I just unscrewed the cap and it goes "tsssssssssssss." hehe.

It smells so strong now. I can't remember how strong it used to smell, tho.

Oso
07-06-2004, 07:16 PM
check it if it works, good dit should clear a bruise in 3-5 days or less

I've got two home made jows I use now.

one is actually somewhere around 15 or 16 years old and I have just about an ounce left...

the other is a fresh batch that is barely 6 months old...

both of them will clear a bruise in 24-48 hours with use immediately after training and every 8 hours or so after that...there is still tenderness of course but the discoloration (from the bruise that is) is gone and there is no hemotoma lump.

don't know the recipes for either one so I can't help there but just offering some comparison...I can give anyone who wants it contact info for the guy who sold us the dry mix for the new jow.

it was $28 for the herb mix + a half gallon of cheap vodka and it's working pretty good.

omarthefish
07-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
check it if it works, good dit should clear a bruise in 3-5 days or less whereas without any bruise medicine at all it can take 10-14 days to naturall heal but the hematoma leaves a scar beneath the skin.

cheers [/B]

My home brew stuff is awsome then. I don't seem to bruise anymore but I had a houseguest last week who banged his shin on something while wandering around Xi'an. I broke out the jow and gave him some instructions on how to massage the bruise and it was gone within a day. He said within hours the tenderness was gone.

The only problem is that my recipe calls for 'musk' (shexiang) which is more expensive than gold and illegal for export from China. :eek:

Oso
07-06-2004, 07:38 PM
whats'musk' (shexiang)?

IronFist
07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Where's Xi'an?

MasterKiller
07-07-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Where's Xi'an? China.

SevenStar
07-07-2004, 10:50 AM
If you have a bruise that's been around for a while already, will jow do anything for it?

MasterKiller
07-07-2004, 11:02 AM
I used jow on a 1-year old injury that bothered me, and after a couple of weeks it didn't hurt anymore, and hasn't hurt since.

Oso
07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
seven, I think so as well.

my first instructor said that the point was to not let anything build up but to flush the fluids through w/ massage and jow.

so, you won't get a quick fix because the injury has been allowed to stagnate but the jow will help get blood and lymph circulating around the injury which can only help.

SevenStar
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Cool. I'll give it a shot. I've got some good stuff at home.

David Jamieson
07-07-2004, 01:55 PM
well people all are different and some heal fatsre than others.

same goes for jow.

but 1 day is not unheard of nor is 48 hours, but to be on the safe side i said 3-5 days or less. which is about 1/4 to 1/2 the time it takes for your body to naturally heal a bruise.

what a jow does do along with the massage is really get rid of blood stasis. If you naturally have good blood flow, then you will heal even fatser when using medicine and proper massage.

Before ya'll think ya got some "extra" magic in yer potion :D

Oso
07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
too late, I already know I got some magic jow....the old dude riding the giant frog told me so when he gave it to me:p

David Jamieson
07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
you sure he wasn't a caterpillar...smoking a huka and sitting on a giant shroom?

:D

EarthDragon
07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
kung lek,
I was going to agree here with omarthefish. I make my own from my shrfu's lineage a recipe that is 129 years old.
While I have some gallons that is only 14 years old the skin and or bone works very rapidly, you can see the stagnet blood dissapate in a few hours and completely gone the next day.

Now I realize just like anything else there are commercial mixtures to make money on selling, but the real stuff that O.M.D's make for themselves they would never sell. Much like the white crane crap sold in a bottle called dit da jow. Very weak and watered down with no poulice, this stuff may take 3 to 5 days. Just like anything people make money of the hard work of others.

IronFist
07-07-2004, 04:56 PM
What is O.M.D.?

Would it help a bruise heal if you did as much massage and everything as you would with jow, but you didn't use the jow?

I'm just wondering how much is jow and how much is massage.

Oso
07-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Ironfist, good question. My answer is still the same: stagnation is bad, flow is good. Jow and massage promote flow. Individually they will have some effect, combined there is a heterodyne effect of sorts.

rubthebuddha
07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
OMD (http://www.omdweb.com/groupbig2.jpg)

SevenStar
07-07-2004, 09:03 PM
How is it that there are so many different recipes? It doesn't seem like all of these various formulas of jow would have the exact same effect...Is there one or two main ingredients that all of these recipes have in common or something?

Becca
07-08-2004, 12:48 AM
This (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22801&highlight=Jow) is an excelent thread on what the different ingrediants "do" and how to prepare them.

Oso
07-08-2004, 03:49 AM
How is it that there are so many different recipes? It doesn't seem like all of these various formulas of jow would have the exact same effect...Is there one or two main ingredients that all of these recipes have in common or something?

now there's a metaphor....

;)

good link Becca, thanks.

SevenStar
07-08-2004, 09:30 AM
yeah, that is a good link

IronFist
07-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I put some on my shins last night, and like 5 hand washings and a shower later I can still smell it on my hands when I get my hands close to my face.

Oso
07-08-2004, 12:59 PM
yep, that's the fun part: smelling like an molasses oatmeal cookie.

saves on deodorant though :p

Oso
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
it's much worse while doing a phase of iron palm training...multiple applications of the jow every day + the herbs in the sand mix...people kept asking me if I'd been baking.

Becca
07-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Oso
yep, that's the fun part: smelling like an molasses oatmeal cookie.

saves on deodorant though :p
My favroite liniment smells like fine indian cuisine... Everyone at work assumes I eat alot of curry.:p

EarthDragon
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Iron fist,
OMD is an abbreviation for Orential Medical Doctor, of which i am studying to be.
Yes massage or tui na will stimulate blood flow and help in the dissapation of stagnation of blood as Oso has stated.

Seven star,
while some formulas do contain similar herbs in thier mixture many different recipes are out there. Some like my teachers uses lion coin and xiao liao while others dont use them at all, so it really depends on the lineage and family recipes.

SevenStar
07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
How dramatic are these differences in terms of healing effects?

SevenStar
07-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Becca
My favroite liniment smells like fine indian cuisine... Everyone at work assumes I eat alot of curry.:p

mine smells like that sea breeze skin astringent.

omarthefish
07-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Oso
whats'musk' (shexiang)?

It's a gland taken out of some kind of wild animal similar to a deer. It's mainly used for making perfume or insense. You've seen the insense sticks with the aroma called 'musk'? It's hideously expensive but is supposedly responsable for allowing many of the other medicinal components to penetrate the skin.

IronFist
07-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I can just wear latex gloves when I put it on. Then my hands won't smell when I'm done. And the latex will keep my hands from absorbing some of the jow and end up with more of it going to the place where I'm applying it, right?

The latex won't contaminate it, will it? I hope not cuz I just did it this way.

Oso
07-10-2004, 08:06 PM
c'mon IF, you're not getting into the spirit of the whole 'jow' experience.:p