PDA

View Full Version : Class sparring clip

loki
07-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Hello all,

Thanks to Count I'm finally able to put this clip on. It's a little grainy because it went through a whole process by the time I was able to get it to Count.

I'd also like to thank those other forum members who offered to help me out. Count just happened to be the first one to offer.

I'd like to point out that this clip is about a year old. The space that we had there was kind of small so some of the moves might be hard to see. However, I think that you can clearly see some Mantis moves being executed. From the very beginning of the match you can see that I begin in a Tong Long Bow Sim ( Praying Mantis Catches Cicada ). For those that are from the 7 star branch, I am sure you will recognize the 1st road of Bung Bo as soon as the match begins. Throughout the rest of this short clip you will see movements from Chop Choy, Suen Bo ( the kick) , Dar Gung/Avoiding Hardness ( Gwa, Tung, Choy ) and Sup Ba Sao. You can see ( from both of us) moves such as Bak Sae Tou Sik/White snake spits tongue. Ngau, Lau, Choy/ Triple Pick, Fan Jeung/reverse palm, Face fanning palms, etc.

What you will not see is any bouncing. There is none of the "kickboxing" type of fighting that is so prevalent among CMA schools. This is just a very small sample of two guys standing toe to toe and attempting to utilize some manis boxing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but we always try to stay within the framework of the style. That isn't to say that one should become trapped within the style but like my Sifu said to me one time, "at first , the style controls you, later you control the style, you become the style, you become the mantis " . At this point you no longer think about what you will do, you just do it but you can't get to this point without attempting to do it first.

Anyway, thanks to all in advance for any feedback, good or bad.

Peace.

http://chikungintl.com/spar.mov

Oso
07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
nice kick to the face when he bent down !!!

RAYNYSC
07-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey Loki,
Nice I can clearly see alot more 7Star Mantis in this sparring clip then any of the ones I've seen....

Peace

Skarbromantis
07-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Loki your a pretty big guy, I wouldnt want to spar with you!:D

Nice clip, the 1st road of Bung Bo was nice, also what you did right about the middle of the clip, was very nice, this reminds me of how we spar, very good.

Props to you for posting it.

humble-one
07-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Which one are you? Are you wearing black?
Good clip.

loki
07-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Hi Humble one,

Yes.

baji-fist
07-08-2004, 03:53 AM
Loki,

Great clip! That is definitely sparring with mantis flavor! I like the elbow strike to the head at the last portion of the video. Thanks for sharing!

BaldMonk
07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Good example of trying to use Mantis to fight. It looks like yall might wanna do some more conditioning work so you can keep the footwork live. I'm not talking about bouncing around. I'm so glad I didn't see any of that (very refreshing). I'm talking about having the conditioning to utilize the footwork to full advantage when advancing and retreating while using techniques. It mighta been late in the training session, but that's the only thing I can see that could use work. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
BaldMonk

PS Yo Paolo, where'd that quote come from?

loki
07-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Hello Bald monk,

"PS Yo Pablo, where'd that quote come from?"

It is a military quote.

Thanks for the advice on the footwork.

yu shan
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks loki for this fighting clip, well appreciated on this end. I particulary enjoyed the first road...and basically the whole d a m n clip. Are you open for visitors?

loki
07-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks Yu Shan

ARE YOU OPEN FOR VISITORS?

More than welcome anytime, take care.

mantis108
07-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I just downloaded it. Well done. Thanks for sharing. Wow, the studio is quite small. That limited the filming angle quite a bit. It's also nice to see Sifu Carl refereeing the match. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

loki
07-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks 108,

Yeah, it was kind of small. We're not there anymore. We relocated and the place we have now is much bigger. Take care.

ncbwilson
07-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I liked the clip, especially the stance change about 2/3 the way through.

BaldMonk
07-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Pablo,

Thanks for the info on the quote. I knew about it already due to hearing and saying it plenty of times during my time in the military. I was actually asking Baji-Fist, who's name is Paolo, where his quote about Tai-Chi and Baji came from.

Baji-Fist check your PM's

Peace

BaldMonk

loki
07-11-2004, 09:14 AM
My bad:o :D