PDA

View Full Version : Why Practice Wing Chun?

bratok304
06-21-2001, 03:24 AM
Hum, can you ppl tell me your reasons why do you practice or know someone who practices this style.
thanx. :D :D :D

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 03:37 AM
It is beautiful...
It is the most effective...
It is the most practical...
It has the most simplicity...
...And wing chun guys are cool...

VingTsun81
06-21-2001, 04:03 AM
To me Ving Tsun is not a very "beautiful" art to watch, in fact a fight should only last 2 or so minutes tops the way it is designed. Ving Tsun is the only martial arts system out there that is scientifically based on the human body. With a science there has to be a formula and its there or at least it is in HFY. I dont understand why people would base an art on an animal or a bug, i mean why fight like a tiger or a snake or a crane or whatever else there is when we are humans, humans with two arms and two legs and we should learn the most efficiant way to use them. To do that it must be looked at scientifically so that you can get the most out of it. But i do see why people like the animal arts and that kind of stuff they are very beautiful arts, but once again they were developed because someone saw them fight or defend themselves and thought that it will work for us, and they made thier own expression out of what they saw,well against an ameture yeah it would but against someone that knows whats going on and understands time and space then the fight would be over in no time, or it should.
by no mean am i putting down any other martial arts out there i have great respect for them all.
-Ryan

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To me Ving Tsun is not a very "beautiful" art to watch, in fact a fight should only last 2 or so minutes tops the way it is designed [/quote]

Wing Chun fights are disigned to last 5 seconds tops when contact is made...
...And as for not being beautiful,to me personaly I think it is one of the best looking things in the world...

Armin
06-21-2001, 08:45 AM
Hi!

The beauty lies within ...

Armin.

dave the dragon
06-21-2001, 11:12 AM
i find beauty a very subjective concept
the forms when done correctly display a beauty to me as much as any other of the shaolin arts
"the beauty lies within"
spot on . ;)

Seeker of the Way
06-21-2001, 12:44 PM
Wing Tsun is a brutal and swift style. If you find it beautiful, you think that violence and brutality is beautiful.

Not that I don't like WT, mind you. Personally I find it the most effective form of Kung Fu. But far from the most beautiful.

Peace,
SotW

"I know Kung Fu."

harry_the_monk
06-21-2001, 02:59 PM
Erm...I think you'll find that WC is based on 'animals'...
That's what I like about it, along with the inner relationship between mind/body.

Peace... :)

Sharky
06-21-2001, 04:26 PM
fights should last 5 secs tops, unless you've done something wrong... but im not a wing chunner any more :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

My anus is superior™

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:31 PM
Sharky,do you thinki in the future if you find a good sifu you will go back to wing chun???

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wing Tsun is a brutal and swift style. If you find it beautiful, you think that violence and brutality is beautiful. [/quote]

When fighting I think violance and brutality is beautiful...

OdderMensch
06-21-2001, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wing Tsun is a brutal and swift style. If you find it beautiful, you think that violence and brutality is beautiful. [/quote]

"when someone says that something is beautiful, and upon further probeing it is said to be beautiful beacuse it is of a paticular shape or color, i disregard all this. I cling to the idea that it is beutiful beacuse of the precensse within it, or in association with it, absolute beauty."
-Socrates (badly spelled of coure but you get the idea :) )

last night i read every word Socrates ever wrote, and in it's origional language 'ta boot! :D

kungfu cowboy
06-21-2001, 08:53 PM
Cool! Read me one of his "Things to Think About Today" lists! :)

S.Teebas
06-21-2001, 09:21 PM
I study WC becuase it is the most efficent form of fighting i have ever encountered...and i have searched.

If can name one that is more efficent, and can prove it...please inform me!

S.Teebas

Spark
06-21-2001, 09:35 PM
When fighting I think violance and brutality is beautiful...

You're so goth.

:D

bratok304
06-21-2001, 09:57 PM
If you want to be cool, stay in school. :cool:

Anarcho
06-21-2001, 11:13 PM
Socrates' own stuff, or Plato's dialogues? You read ancient Greek?

Soup is good food.

Sharky
06-22-2001, 02:19 AM
Joe of course man i love the style, i consider it to be my roots or foundation style. Im going to this tiger crane (hung gar) place for 3 months. Then, if i get the grades i'll probably be goping to wales for 3 years to study at uni. Then i will be hoping to find a wing chun place.

If i have to resit the year i will stay at the tiger crane place. Which i think will be cool, but it's not wing chun. :( I'm sure once i get into it or see it beeing demo'd i'll be like :eek: and fall in love with it :D

As long as it's cma, it's all good baby.

Edd

My anus is superior™

OdderMensch
06-22-2001, 02:34 AM
We were jokeing around the other day about how socrates never wanted his "stuff" writen down, it was al plato's doing. I have read much of Platos work, but only in English.

Ars vitae
06-22-2001, 05:38 AM
The true beauty of WIng Tsun lies in it's versitility of techniques, hidden in it's simplicity theory.

kungfu cowboy
06-22-2001, 05:58 AM
Hey, didn't Ted Nugent say that? :confused:

VingTsun81
06-22-2001, 07:37 AM
now then see that is exactly what i meant by "in the typical sense" Ving Tsun can be a very beautiful art to someone that understands it but as eye candy or something fancy it is not, it is simple and direct. I love ving tsun but like i said if done correctly and someone tries to fight a true ving tsun practitioner then he has already lost
-Ryan

Anarcho
06-22-2001, 11:16 AM
Hehe...Okay. So what would Plato/Socrates think about beautiful Wing Chun? Would it be beautiful because there exists some ideal form of beauty which has properties that Wing Chun shares to some degree? I haven't read much Plato...

Soup is good food.

Martial Joe
06-22-2001, 08:44 PM
Anarcho~If he were to have studied the art he would have worte about wing chun and only wing chun...dont be silly...

Sharky~You have your hole life to study wing chun...SO FIND A SCHOOL AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!!!

Martial Joe
06-22-2001, 08:46 PM
spark...Goth is degrading...

OdderMensch
06-22-2001, 11:06 PM
Well we'd have to train in the nude of course.

and he would have a ball at touroments, his big thing was going to people that claimed to have knowledge of some thing and questioning them on it.

He would definatly say to get a qualified Sifu to teach, as on asks a docter when one is sick and a brick layer when one needs a wall built.

as for beauty, He had a theory of "forms" that were the ideal experion of anything. for example a form of "bed" that all other "beds" were made to resemble.

And he would tell many people to get out of the cave and stop watching shadow plays. :D

JasBourne
06-22-2001, 11:18 PM
I study wing chun because it is practical, economical and clean. It uses the laws of physics instead of flashy techniques. Wing chun is sensible. Wing chun is devastatingly, elegantly effective. Wing chun works. :)

Spark
06-23-2001, 02:22 AM
Joe

Goth is degrading??

It was a joke. :p

Martial Joe
06-23-2001, 03:47 AM
I know,I just think a gothis person is a confused person...

whippinghand
06-23-2001, 05:11 AM
I used to believe that Wing Chun was the best & most effective art. Not anymore. I've met a few people, since then, who know and understand martial art. And believe me, but I'm sure you won't, that Wing Chun is not the most effective, and it is NOT the ONLY one that is based on body mechanics or physics. There are others that are just as effective, if not more effective.

I love Wing Chun, and it is the only art I will every practice or teach seriously. But the Wing Chun of today is quite watered down from the way it was meant to be. The sooner you realize that it's not the only one, the sooner your Wing Chun will improve at a faster rate, like mine has.

Watchman
06-23-2001, 05:44 AM
:eek: :eek:

Sharky
06-23-2001, 11:35 AM
:( :(

My anus is superior™

tsb
06-23-2001, 11:50 AM
Care to elaborate?

Dragonhand
06-23-2001, 03:44 PM
Whipping Hand is correct. Wing Chun Is being watered down not passed.

Watchman
06-23-2001, 06:43 PM
As with anything, it depends on who you're learning it from.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.
-- Tzu-kung

Martial Joe
06-23-2001, 07:02 PM
Sharky~ Why the frown man?

S.Teebas
06-24-2001, 12:46 PM
I'd have to agree with Watchman on this one.

Whipping hand....did u train for 10 years then realise what you had learnt isn't as good as you had hoped? i think alot of people train in a system for a long time then when they realise this, they still continue trainig because of seniorioty they achieve in a certain school or friends they have made. :rolleyes:

S.Teebas

Sharky
06-24-2001, 04:34 PM
twas whipping hands statement that thoucheth my heart(eth)

Edd

My anus is superior™

LeiWulong
06-27-2001, 03:37 AM
The reason many people practice Wing Chun is because of its efficiency. At its core it it strived to rid fighting of needles and nonsense forms and postures, much like JKD today. Some poeple refer to it as a shortcut to fighting, since you learn only how to fight. It has it the evovled though, it has fallen to the same trap as the rest of the Kung-Fu sytems and styles. It is now bogged down by countless forms and drills, the very thing the originators steered away from.

jameswebsteruk
06-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Egsqueeze me? Beg powder?

4 empty hand forms. 2 weapon forms, with which many people dont bother.

At what point did they become countless?

As for countless drills, some schools do, some schools dont. Some teach by technique, some teach by concept. Same as JKD, from what I have heard.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

Troy
06-28-2001, 02:19 PM
4 open hand forms??
have fun doing that 4th one

Where taught 3 open hand forms, 2 weapons forms and dummy form

-The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war-

panos
06-28-2001, 02:39 PM
Actually william Cheuungs students are taught 4 open han forms. Nothing different though. After you have finished your shil lim tao you learn to do it a litle more different with wider hung sao.
Chung changed it to fit better with the other stuff you learn at the same time.
Since i am Greek i can't resist of talking about Plato too. Socrates and plato would like WC probably. THey were very famous fighters in their youth. In ancient greece MA were very realistic. A wrestler for example whose name is still known died during a fight in the olypic games.

panos
06-28-2001, 02:44 PM
Actually william Cheuungs students are taught 4 open han forms. Nothing different though. After you have finished your shil lim tao you learn to do it a litle more different with wider hung sao.
Chung changed it to fit better with the other stuff you learn at the same time.
Since i am Greek i can't resist of talking about Plato too. Socrates and plato would like WC probably. THey were very famous fighters in their youth. In ancient greece MA were very realistic. A wrestler for example whose name is still known died during a fight in the olypic games.

jameswebsteruk
06-28-2001, 03:00 PM
I included the dummy as an empty hand form.
Since you dont actually hold a weapon. So your hand is empty ;)

Frnak

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

VingTsun81
06-30-2001, 04:27 AM
hey man if you dont care too i want you to email me because i have something that i want to tell you about ving tsun and i think it would be easier through e mail..... this is not a bash or anything nor do i mean any disrespect. i just want to share something with you. thanks
-Ryan

Sihing73
06-30-2001, 04:51 AM
Hello All,

I have given this some thought and especially when one considers what has happened to martial arts in general and Wing Chun in particular.

We live in a world where it is far easier to kill then perhaps any other time. I mean if you want to obtain a weapon such as a knife or a gun then you can get one if you really want to. I mean even if you live somewhere these weapons are banned you can still get them if you put some effort into it. :(

So what does practicing a martial art do for you when you could more easily obtain a gun and take someone out?

Well, a martial art gives you several things which in my opinion are of benefit.

Firstly it gives you some options. You build confidence in your ability to handle yourself so you have nothing to prove. This in turn can allow you to walk away and even ignore some insults which you might otherwise feel the need to respond to.

Next it also gives you options on how to respond. You learn how to utilize force and this can give you several means of response. You can vary your respons according to the energy given and the situation. For example if it is simply someone who pushes or shoves you then you can respond differently than if it is someone trying to seriously hurt you. Again the confidence mentioned above can carry over and guide you.

It gives you the ability to defend yourself and your family against most types of unarmed attack. It also will allow you to defend against some weapons attacks, a club or knife for example.

Against a gun I would have to opt for cooperatin rather then confrontation ;)

However, one of the bigest benefits IMHO, is the mind set one developes. This has already been alluded to but it is more than just confidence. It is a will to survive. To know that you can, and will do whatever is necessary to survive. That if someone attacks a loved one or yourself you have the ability to handle the situation and the confidence not to if unnecessary.

Of course you can also obtain health benefits from training as well though in some cases this is less apparent than others ;)

I practice Wing Chun because I want to. I have been doing so for a number of years. I have used the art on the street and it has not let me down. I used to teach and stopped when I realized I have so much more to learn. Still, when I do teach, I teach realisticaly and do not "water down" anything. At an old school I had many who would stop by to check out a class and never come back. Turns out most in the neighborhood thought my methods were too brutal. But, they worked. :)

We as the next generation have a responsibility to pass on our art as effective as it ever was. If we find something which can improve our art then, as long as it fits within the framework, we should incorporate it and pass it on. My children will learn everything I can give them. The base will be Wing Chun but I will add Pekiti Tirsia and Judo as well. IMO Wing Chun today is different than that of years past. If our art does not learn and adapt then it will die, or worse become just like karate.

Peace,

Dave

tnwingtsun
06-30-2001, 11:05 AM
WELCOME

:cool: :) ;) :D

Scott
07-01-2001, 05:34 AM
What is the harm in watering down Wing Chun? This is theoretical, of course, I'm not saying Wing Chun should be pansified. But the killing moves aren't really nearly as necessary as they were back 'in the day', when the ability to kill required more than the pull of a trigger. To say Wing Chun should not change at all over hundreds of years is unrealistic--the times change and so must the art. It is, after all, a phrase commonly used in Wing Chun--"Bend but don't break."

(Wing Chun gives you options other than killing people, that's the most important aspect of learning a martial art. That's what makes a martial artist different from a gunslinger.)

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Sihing73
07-02-2001, 02:08 AM
Hello,

Just to clarify something, I do not belive that one should eliminate anything from Wing Chun. I think that the "killing moves" should remain and will always be an integral part of Wing Chun. It is these 'moves" which allow one to have the flexibility to employ less lethal techniques. Just as I would not take a gun away from a Police Officer because he learned some alternative, less lethal methods of dealing with situations, I would not take away the more lethal techniques of Wing Chun.

What I was suggesting is that if one finds an area where one can add something, say like groundfighting ;), then take what you want and INCORPORATE it into your Wing Chun. This will allow the art to continue to be viable. But, do nothing to violate the core concepts.

Hope this makes some sense.

Peace,

Dave

Ars vitae
07-02-2001, 12:41 PM
As Einstein once said, simplify, simplify, simplify... but not to much. Alternatively, the artist stripping the clay from a sculpture should reveal the essence, but not remove the "meat" off the bones, or else wing tsun would no longer have it's structure.