PDA

View Full Version : capoeira update

red5angel
07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Things have been going good! This monday I start working with the group at the local gymnastics open night on the more acrobatic techniques. At some point we'll be doing some video and I'll have to post.

I got some PM about capoeira and I found a good clip if you're still interested.

http://www.abercrombie.com/anf/index.html

you have to enter the site then click on A&FTV Watch IT link and it will pull up a movie. Now, besides the retards doing the interview, there is some pretty good info on it.

red5angel
07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
some good tidbits of information. One thing she mentions but doesn't explain is why capoeiristas wear white pants. The idea is that the only things that are supposed to touch the ground are your hands, feet and head. The cleaner your pants are the better a capoerista your supposed to be.

Starchaser107
07-07-2004, 10:50 AM
that was a cool doc. there should be more out there for capo'

red5angel
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Currently, other then "Only the Strong" ( a horrible movie with some cool capoeira in it) just about everything on capoeira is from brazil and in Porteguese.

David Jamieson
07-07-2004, 01:44 PM
which style are you learning red? the angola? or the other?

keep the banga in your janga

red5angel
07-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm working with a group called Capuraginga. They sort of mix Regional pronounced "Heyjahnahl" and angola. It's about 80% Regional. Mostly, from what I'm getting Regional has some jujitsu mixed in, possibly, and the pace is much faster in general. I know that angoleira play slower in the roda then regional players but I don't yet know the fine points.

yenhoi
07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Im sure I could kick your ass in less then 5 minutes angel5red.

:D

Starchaser107
07-07-2004, 05:18 PM
in angola style we play closer to the ground , less arials, in my training we were required to know how to play the various instruments and sing in portugese.

Starchaser107
07-07-2004, 05:20 PM
i'm no longer with that capoiera guy though , i learned a lil bit for the few months that i was there , and still train it on my own.

yenhoi
07-07-2004, 05:27 PM
what kind of bladework is going on red5?

red5angel
07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Im sure I could kick your ass in less then 5 minutes angel5red.

LOL!

starchaser, yeah, I forgot to mention closer to the ground. Angola seems to be a more sensible version of capoeira, although regional is a hell of a lot of fun in it's own right. We too have to learn to sing in porteguese and play the instruments, you can't have a roda without either! Currently the hardest part I'm finding is learning to clap in sync and sing while trying to learn the words!

yenhoi, no bladework that I know of, not yet anyway. I've seen some machete work and some stick work. I'm thinking when I get better at sticks in Kali, I may see if I can integrate some of it into capoeira.

yenhoi
07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
My teacher says that some capoeira guys he has met in the past were also some of the best blade guys hes found.

Sneaky *******s he says.

There were also a few threads maybe 2+ years ago that had some stuff about dirty sneak capoeira bladework.

:eek:

red5angel
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I haven't seen a whole lot of blade work so far so I couldn't say. Sneaky, is part of the capoeira approach, thats why there is so much acrobatics and bizarre sort of shifting movement. There are a lot of feints and fakes and part of the capoeira arsenal is learning to be tricky. They say a good capoeirista has "malicia" and a good part of malicia is street wisdom and trickery.