PDA

View Full Version : Karate or Wing chun?

bratok304
06-21-2001, 04:37 AM
Hehehhe, what is better? In all, auto-defense, body shpening, etc...

and who would probably win in this fight?

Karate Black Belt OR Wing Chun 3 year experience.

:D :D :D

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:33 AM
Wing Chun ofcourse...
...Why did you ask something so stupid??
This is a wing chun forum,what do you expect us to say...

kungfu cowboy
06-21-2001, 05:53 AM
Martial Joe, be nice. There are no stupid questions. Just stupid magic tricks (except for close up, of course)Well, I am sure someone has asked a stupid question, sometime)

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:54 AM
Will you ever forgive me cowboy...

kungfu cowboy
06-21-2001, 05:57 AM
Well, yeah! :D Actually, this question IS a little silly. Which do you find better is ok, but all this who would win in a fight nonsense...well

Ok, who WOULD win in THIS fight: Siskel or Ebert (he may be zombie or living; your choice) :p

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:58 AM
Lets say livin,I dont knwo much about rotting corpse...hmmm,I would have to say the fat one...

kungfu cowboy
06-21-2001, 06:05 AM
Yeah, well, no unfair advantages. We will assume he has already had supper.

Johnny Hot Shot
06-21-2001, 08:10 AM
How long has the karateka been a black belt?

If the karateca is second or third Dan may bet would be on the Karateka.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Seeker of the Way
06-21-2001, 11:34 AM
There was a teacher at my high school who was a black belt Ashihara Karateka. Some guys from the school were Wing Tsun practicioners, and decided they wanted a go at her. She beat all of them. In this case, she had way more training and experience, but this inspired her to go on and fight some mixed tourneys in Denmark, where she floored even good Wing Tsun students from around Scandinavia..

...She is now crosstraining Jiu-Jitsu. I SO don't want to start trouble in the subjects she teachers :eek:

Just my take on it.. She's the first example I've seen, albeit a very strong one, that Karateka can beat Wing Tsun practicioners with roughly the same training.

Peace,
SotW

"I know Kung Fu."

Martial Joe
06-21-2001, 05:43 PM
Cowboy~I feel bad for the skinny one now that you have mentiond it...
...supper,nooooooooo!!!!!!

wujidude
06-21-2001, 08:21 PM
Ashihara karatekas train for serious contact fighting/sparring almost right from the beginning. They also emphasize mobile stances, and focus on a few specific techniques. Ashihara himself has a book out that describes how he developed his approach. It's pretty different than "traditional" (whatever that is) Japanese karate, and certainly is different than the sport/tournament karate.

Someone trained well in this kind of karate would be able to come in with swift, strong attacks ranging from low to high level. They would make formidable opponents regardless of gender. Unlike a lot of karatekas, Ashihara fighters would not be limited to long/medium range techniques.

Those would've been interesting matches to see. I wonder what the caliber of her Wing Chun opponents was.

maestro
06-21-2001, 09:00 PM
Hi, newbie here...

Well, I have a unique perspective here, because I trained in Karate and TKD (and some other stuff, JJJ, Aikido) for 15 years before I started WC (about 8 months ago). In my class, we have some VERY good WC players. But I can hang with most of them using my karate skills, except the top 2 students. They have a real grasp on the WC concepts, and I really can't do anything to them (including taking them down). They are the reason I joined the school. I haven't been to a school in a long time that some of the students could completely handle me like that (not bragging, it just talks about how sad most schools are). So I truely believe that a well trained WC player will take a Karateka with the same amount of experience (at a black belt/sash level). All of this is IMHO, of course.

Now take 1 grain of salt and call me in the morning....

Swimming is not a sport, it's something you do to keep from drowning.

bratok304
06-21-2001, 09:54 PM
You have a lots of different views, some say its Karateka and others, Wing CHun... I think what Meastro says is right, (in my opinion), if the both have the same experience, level, etc... i would bet on the Wing Chun :D ... Karate is not that powerful nowdays... it has become a sport, and a lot of fake dojos opening, especially in America (north and south). I leave you with whats on your minds....

"My words have meaning; my actions have reason;
Yet these cannot be known and I cannot be known."

kungfu cowboy
06-21-2001, 11:28 PM
The only way to know is to take 100% pure wing chun(whatever that is) and 100% pure karate(whatever that is) and teach each one to the members of a pair of clones, who were brought up within the same environment and socioeconomic status. This must transpire in a world without time, and at least a fourth dimension.

[This message was edited by kungfu cowboy on 06-22-01 at 02:38 PM.]

MikeDensity
06-22-2001, 07:27 PM
Good point Kung Fu Cowboy. You gave me an idea on how to settle these kind of 'which martial art is best' debates more practically then teaching MA to clones (too time consuming and costly ;) )

Someone needs to get together a bunch of supercomputers and program each with the theories and technique of a specific martial art. One supercomputer for each style so that all martial arts are represented. Then we hook them up to each other and let them battle it out. It would be a sort of 'Deep Blue' for the martial arts community. This way the pure and perfect techniques of the martial art would be fighting each other rather than humans, who are prone to mistakes. Debate settled and everybody could rush to the victorious style with confidence. Any programmers out there interested in giving it a shot?

And the winner is...........Gymkata?!? :confused: :confused:
****ing computer!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

kungfu cowboy
06-22-2001, 08:06 PM
Gymkata! (groan)LOL!! And somebody thought THAT was money well spent?!? :rolleyes:

But yeah, that computer idea would be excellent!!

BAI HE
06-25-2001, 04:48 PM
It really depends on the prctitioner and the style.
There is a big difference between fighting a McDojo Karateka and say a Kyokushin Karateka.
Alot of people disrespect Karate on this forum
I am new to CMA, but from what I've seen, their conditioning isn't so hot. Their work ethic pales in comparison to their Japanese counterparts and they spar much less frequently.
I think in CMA you have to be alot more "personally" disciplined than in JMA.

Never underestimate anyone, regardless of style.

[Censored]
06-25-2001, 08:01 PM
Chess: 16 pieces per person.
Martial art: ~200 bones, thousands of tendons, ligaments, and muscle groups per person.

Chess: 64 positions.
Martial art: Millions of positions, even at a relatively coarse 1cm resolution.

Chess: 5 directions (including knight).
Martial art: ~360^2 (129,600) directions.

Chess: 1 piece moves at a time.
Martial art: All pieces are moving simultaneously.

It took a supercomputer and a team of IBM progammers to build a good chess program. How long do you think it will take to build the martial arts program?

Budokan
06-26-2001, 01:59 AM
Karate is usually considered a generic term for Japanese Martial Arts. There are gads of styles that lumped together can be termed "karate."

But what about Wing Chun? It isn't broken down into various sub-styles like karate, is it?

K. Mark Hoover

kungfu cowboy
06-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Actually, it would be scary if (when?) we actually have computers that advanced. Me no likey. Or it will probably be as inherently meaningless as everything else in this godforsaken mess called a universe. :)

MikeDensity
06-29-2001, 07:12 AM
Ummmm, excuse me! They already DID make a computer program that can simulate the intricacies of the human form and allow pure style to compete against style. Ever heard of a little game called Mortal Kombat?

I think it proved that martial arts which allow you to freeze your opponent with ice balls always win. :p

Watchman
06-29-2001, 08:26 AM
Did we just witness Budokan's debut on the Wing Chun forum?? :eek: :D

rogue
06-30-2001, 01:28 AM
Shun Budokan, shun him, shun the JMA practicing barbarian. Shun all non-WC barbari... ummmm :confused: :eek:

Please disregard this message.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

old jong
06-30-2001, 02:06 AM
Budokan!...Hey,you're right about your comment!...Now go back to the "generic" forum where you don't even belong being a JMA person!... :D :eek: ;) :mad: :rolleyes: :D :D

Rei
06-30-2001, 02:27 AM
acutaly in my opinion if i was to pin a karateka againts a wing chuner i woulldnt pick Kyokushin. the way they generate there power is bad... now HERES a place where u can call it basterized kickboxing!!!(for all u people that call bad kungfu kickboxing;))the stances and everything to that style doesnt really look like karate to me. and for ONCE i speack from EXPERIENCE!!! :D:D:D i never heard bout Ashihara so id have to say traditional Okinawan shotokan would be my choice :D i studied under a pretty good teacher that had experience with Chuck norris in his younger days... i wonder if i could spar with him and hold off now?

Peace!

*Qui semme le vent, recolte la tempete!*

old jong
06-30-2001, 02:35 AM
Rei.
I like your signature!...Qui seme le vent recolte la tempete. ;)

C'é l'bout d'la marde!...

VingTsun81
06-30-2001, 04:12 AM
well the way i look at it is in the art, and i use that term loosely, i find that the Ving Tsun System is better simply because it is based on time and space and its scientifically proven to be the most efficient. but in one of these forums i read in here it talked about the teacher fighting the students, well in that case the students were the agressors so therefore they already broke the Ving Tsun code of conduct. A true Ving Tsun Practitioner should never break from harmony with the universe "time and space" for if he does he has already lost

thats just my way of viewing it.
-Ryan

rogue
06-30-2001, 05:41 AM
Dude, it's hitting someone, not science, last I checked Stephen Hawking wasn't a sifu.

Having just worked out with a WC visitor (anybody know of any WC schools around Philly/NJ?) the one thing I wouldn't do is stick my arm any where away from my body.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

Sihing73
06-30-2001, 05:44 AM
Hello,

I now of a couple of Wing Chun Schools in the Philly/NJ area. Email me for details. If you are in the Philly area then perhaps we could meet as this is my neck of the woods.

Peace,

Dave

rogue
06-30-2001, 05:54 AM
Thanks Shihing, the guy I worked out with goes to a WC school up there. He mentioned his sifu but I can't remember his name. I'm just trying to figure out what branch of WC he did.

If I am in Philly I'll email you.

Louis L'Amour

tnwingtsun
06-30-2001, 10:51 AM
I just now realized that if I spoke and read French that would make me a smarter person. :rolleyes:

Scott
07-02-2001, 07:15 AM
I think if a black belt in Karate and a 3 year wing chun guy got in a fight, Siskel would kick Ebert's ass.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.