PDA

View Full Version : Why do the people with no profile information come across as big know-it-alls?

Fu-Pow
07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Hmmm...there seems to be a very strong correlation.

Could it be that they didn't stay in any one art long enough to fully learn it?

And instead jumped around from art to art, learning bits here and there?

What'da think?

SifuAbel
07-08-2004, 06:08 PM
I've been asking this for YEARS!!!!

I mean really. An MA forum member should list age , style and experience just out of common courtesy.

Volcano Admim
07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
well maybe its cos the moderators BAN the dudes new account before he can even completely fill in the profile info
wtf man, pizz me off

Oso
07-08-2004, 06:36 PM
second, SifuAbel's minimum requirements.

profiles should not be approved w/o at least that information.

Volcano Admim
07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah but theres always so many names and so many days (365 or 366) you can pick for birthday and so many... numbers you can put into places... and you can... restart your modem that will change your i.p. (mine does kids!) and... ok thats about it

Buddy
07-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Ah Censorship.
I don't have a profile but I know what I'm talking about. I don't have a profile because everyone who knows me knows that I know what I'm talking about. And why would I care what you think? Particulary when this board is so rife with posers and trolls. Ask politely and I will tell you.
Buddy

Christopher M
07-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Why do the people with no profile information come across as big know-it-alls?

Maybe because they are more likely to believe the value of their posts is limited to the words they contain, rather than the weight of perceived authority or cliquedome behind them.

bamboo_ leaf
07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
(Ask politely and I will tell you)

as I.

I donno, i tend to take posters on their words and ideas expressed i never check the profiles. Some have ideas that are clearly not theirs, others do. The ones that do make interesting reading. ;)

count
07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
50/50 Fu Pow, Some of the biggest *******s with mile long resume's kick it up pretty good around here too. If we had a policy not to reply to poster's with no profiles, maybe we could get some participation around here. But than, it's pretty obvious who knows what or wants to learn something from these forums. The rest can go **** yourselves.

I can say that since it's acceptable on the the Senate floor now.:D

yenhoi
07-08-2004, 08:40 PM
This is a poor troll attempt, even for you, Fu-Pow.

Please see red5's threads for better examples.

:eek:

PHILBERT
07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Maybe they don't know how to edit it (just a slight hunch). Then again the only guy who really is getting banned before he can registar again is backbreaker :p

blooming lotus
07-08-2004, 08:57 PM

What'da think?

thank you fu pow!!!! Generally speaking you can knowledge in replies, but it does help a persons' validity if you can ( even if is only in taking their word for it) get some sort of back ground or personal info.

take Ford for example.......................

SPJ
07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Agreed.

You may learn about a person and how much he or she knows by reading his or her words.

:rolleyes:

SevenStar
07-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Volcano Admim
well maybe its cos the moderators BAN the dudes new account before he can even completely fill in the profile info
wtf man, pizz me off

only because they have multiple ones already, xeam - umm...volc - I mean.. d_mes - or is it....machine - I mean...xebby.

SevenStar
07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Oso
second, SifuAbel's minimum requirements.

profiles should not be approved w/o at least that information.

FWIW, budoseek requires that you state your name somewhere visibly, either in your sig, under your avatar, etc. But that like anything else can be faked. Unless you are doing some serious competing, are a listed teacher, etc. you r name likely won't be found on the net, making it hard to research who you are, and if you actually are who you claim to be.

IronFist
07-08-2004, 10:05 PM
I don't think I filled out mine. It's because I'm lazy.

The Willow Sword
07-08-2004, 10:15 PM
my profile says pretty much what i want it to say,,and i dont reveal all in my profile, and i could care less who thinks i know what or not. I know what I know but i certainly do not know it all.

and besides,,how do YOU know that the profile of anyone here is legitamate? if you have met the person, and i have met a few here and so i can trust their profiles,,others post pics or vids of thier stuff(that can be questioned as well)

You just never know who is BS'ing and who isnt.

I can safely say that i dont always BS around in here

;) :rolleyes:

Peace,,TWS

Toby
07-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
only because they have multiple ones already, xeam - umm...volc - I mean.. d_mes - or is it....machine - I mean...xebby. Lol! I was nowhere near close to guessing that latest one.

rubthebuddha
07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
iron is right -- he is ****ing lazy. it's why his idea of difficult cardio is the 30-foot walk to the drinking fountain between deadlift sets to get more water. :D

ford i doubt even gives a **** what people know about him. any time we've asked for something in his background, he's given it. his knowledge oh exercise science is, by most people on the fitness forum's opinion, more extensive than just about anyone else on the forum.

bl doesn't bother to give us anything substantial other than her birthday, so we have no thing to gleen from her profile, regardless of what she says about ford.

tws is a ****ing texan, so i'll go kick his ass too when i move to houston.

sevenstar is like most of us -- he works on computers, yet does a ****load of stuff. except, he's hyooge. if weights want to get bigger, they lift sevenstar.

spj fixes up injured kitties and parrots and squirrels, so we know that he deserves a six-pack of something robust, tasty and potent.

philbert has the hots for margie, but who in the hell didn't know that already?

honestly, an empty profile doesn't equate to inexperience. yuanfen shares little on his profile, but those who pay attention know that he knows waaaaay more than most of us, both about martial arts, history, and most other things.

then again, a more complete profile like red5 has more to offer, yet red has learned amazingly little since he began martial arts three months ago and started tkd. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
i have absolutely no idea what monkey slap 2's profile says, but i still find myself reading his posts more closesly.

same goes for iron, seven, ford, and many others.

****nuts are ****nuts. we know who we are.

SevenStar
07-08-2004, 11:51 PM
RTB is a shaven headed, soon to be texan that likes sushi, does pistols at work and consumes smoothies twice a week.

GDA is GDA. 'nuff said.

I've said this once and I'll say it again, MSToo is a brutal b@stard.

waterdragon is MIA - where the he11 is he?

xebby is the forum underdog - we're all pulling for him to get laid, but we all know it's not gonna happen.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
maybe xebby thinks that, with more identities, his chances at busting a nut in the non-solo sense increase?

besides, i've had four smoothies this week, thank you very much. :D

and monkeyslaptoo does have good stuff to say. i just have no clue what the heck his name means. :confused:

SevenStar
07-09-2004, 12:07 AM
possibly - wasn't bl talking about going to brazil to see volcano? But she's *supposedly* engaged and (i think) pregnant, so I guess that one's out too.

Toby
07-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Eyebrows and Xebby would be a perfect match!

rubthebuddha
07-09-2004, 12:15 AM
dude, toyer was how many months along, and she was still rarin to go with her buddy. :D

don't deny pregnant women their desires ...

... else they will kill you and eat you with chocolate and pickles. :D

back to xebby, though. maybe when bl gets back to oz, because oz is what, three blocks from brazil? she could friggin walk over to his house. piece of cake!

Becca
07-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I used to have mine fully filled out, but decided to take some things out once it became obvious that sertain people on this forum like to flame based on what they read in a profile (Mat). I don't like being flamed simply for having a different opinion than someone else who may or may not have studied a style similar to then one I studied prior to my current one. (did that make sence?:confused: )

scotty1
07-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I think it's interesting to read people's profiles, but doesn't really change my opinion of what they write.

blooming lotus
07-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha

bl doesn't bother to give us anything substantial other than her birthday, so we have no thing to gleen from her profile, regardless of what she says about ford.

bs buhdd.I have given you more information about than my fiance has. Hell....I even gave you a photo.whaddya want???.a date??

honestly, an empty profile doesn't equate to inexperience. yuanfen shares little on his profile, but those who pay attention know that he knows waaaaay more than most of us, both about martial arts, history, and most other things.

then again, a more complete profile like red5 has more to offer, yet red has learned amazingly little since he began martial arts three months ago and started tkd. :D

and red is still not another of kls' alters ha???.........

ps........just about to buy some nu nikes so I guess I'll be seeing in what???................3yrs or so :cool:

S1.........exactly, but even if they're full of it, it's something to support the character they say they are and to be frank, half the time I'll probably give you the benifit of the doubt

Mr Punch
07-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Becca
I used to have mine fully filled out, but decided to take some things out once it became obvious that sertain people on this forum like to flame based on what they read in a profile (Mat). I don't like being flamed simply for having a different opinion than someone else who may or may not have studied a style similar to then one I studied prior to my current one. (did that make sence?:confused: ) ****, sorry Becca, don't remember ever having flamed you (or m,any people for that matter)! Must have been a bad day!! I usually think your stuff makes sense even if I don't agree with it. I know I come across as a bit rough sometimes... but I don't flame do I!?

Anyway, I've changed my profile a number of times to include various things that for some reason I think are important at the time... and although I tend to like to get some idea of what someone's done I don't tend to judge people just through their profile (er, except obviously the above :o :( ;) !)

Becca
07-09-2004, 06:20 AM
S'ok. I have since come to let it roll off if I get annoyed. That and I don't talk Ninjitsu with you anymore.;) :D

Mr Punch
07-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Aaaaahhh ninjutsu!? I shoulda god**** flamed you some more!!! :D :D :D

Funnily enough, one of Hatsumi's students showed me a ninja breathing technique the other day... I could show you, but I'll drop down from the ceiling and tell you inperson in a sec... of course... it'll be the last thing you hear!!!:eek:

Kristoffer
07-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Profiles are hobo sexual, as in 'only get h0rny on hobos'.

Ford Prefect
07-09-2004, 07:30 AM
I have no idea what's in my profile. I know I could care less because I judge people for the content of their ideas rather than by how many years of white crane kung fu they have.

Anybody can make up anything. I can say that I'm 45, a PhD in human behavior, and been training MA for 35 years in my profile... Who cares? They can just as easily make up profile information as they could make up stories when they post.

You can tell who has actually fought, who has actually trained, and who is actually well-read on certain subjects just by the content of their posts.

SPJ
07-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Agreed that you may be able to tell something about a person from reading their posts.

Stories made up. I pay more attention to the ideas the stories are "conveying" than the stories themself.

Historical records showed Chen Wang Ting documented and "created" Chen Tai Ji. And Wu Dang has its own Tai Ji long fists.

And yet, all the good schools still profess Zhang San Feng created Chen Tai Ji.

Praying Mantis is based on 18 Jia's. Many boxers added more diverse contents and weapons to it over hundreds years. PM is a grand congloremation of Northern boxings.

And yet, every body said Mr. Wang Lang created it "all".

I am guilty of loving to hear the stories. But pay credit to all the contributors, too.

Peace.

:cool:

The Willow Sword
07-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Quoted by Rubthebudda

tws is a ****ing texan, so i'll go kick his ass too when i move to houston

FYI i am NOT a ****in texan. i AM a ****in Kentuckian living here in texas,,lets get that straight right now.

and as for the ass kicking,,,i would love it,,,,but ONLY after warm sake' and sushi at Mikado here in Austin (not houston, cause i dont live in that sh!thole of a city:D )

Peace,,TWS

FatherDog
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM

What'da think?

Hey, look, an ad hominem fallacy.

PHILBERT
07-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
FWIW, budoseek requires that you state your name somewhere visibly, either in your sig, under your avatar, etc. But that like anything else can be faked. Unless you are doing some serious competing, are a listed teacher, etc. you r name likely won't be found on the net, making it hard to research who you are, and if you actually are who you claim to be.

Incorrect. John Lindsay over on E-Budo has banned people for putting fake names. He does IP checks on members, and if the name listed doesn't match the name on the IP (usually last), he'll warn then, and eventually ban them.

If someone signed the name John Smith, but the IP says Joseph Smith, he'd probably let that go, assuming maybe John is a brother/son. Like mine, I put my name down and not my parents, though the IP is in there name.

mickey
07-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Greetings,

Interesting thread.

I keep my profile blank because I am not into "I am all this." My interest in joining this forum is to help people. As stated in previous responses, the person's writing should really tell what that person is all about.

mickey

blooming lotus
07-09-2004, 06:30 PM
but in spirit of benifit of the doubt ( which most people deserve most of the time) it helps to have something to support a train of thought relating to their posts without the rigramrol of 20 question enquiry and several posts , possibley days later to complete your thought or what have you.......I respect privacy and the need people have not appear with ego, but I think it should be mandatory , at least the experience section and maybe grain of salt but from the posts, you should soon be able to sort the bull from the truth anyway.......it all comes out in discussion in some form

David Jamieson
07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
what if you were into a few arts and you were into each of them for quite a while, and now your into quite a few different approaches?

Is that bad, or should i be doing the same thing i did for 7 years for another 7 years before I move on and grow into what I know?

lol.

ad hominemememememememememememememem.

*poink!

SevenStar
07-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
dude, toyer was how many months along, and she was still rarin to go with her buddy. :D

D'oh! Touche.

Tak
07-10-2004, 07:16 AM
You can put anything you want on your profile. If it says in my profile that I'm a 61st degree black belt in Australian spoonfighting, my BJJ record is 600-1-0, I once fought William CC Chen on a 6-story le tai for the movie rights to his Taiji mechanics book, I'm 156 years old, and I'm the ninja assassin who killed Bruce Lee, does that affect the credibility of a post where I say that I got sidekicked in the ribs yesterday and it hurt?

blooming lotus
07-10-2004, 07:20 AM
are you and k serious???............you gotta apply some logic and ontoitiveness about it.............but the topics a person posts to and the line of their conversation should give you a reasonable idea of both their focus, knowledge, interest, committment and sincerity...........personally, I'll pay any of those things

SifuAbel
07-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tak
You can put anything you want on your profile. If it says in my profile that I'm a 61st degree black belt in Australian spoonfighting, my BJJ record is 600-1-0, I once fought William CC Chen on a 6-story le tai for the movie rights to his Taiji mechanics book, I'm 156 years old, and I'm the ninja assassin who killed Bruce Lee, does that affect the credibility of a post where I say that I got sidekicked in the ribs yesterday and it hurt?

It wouldn't matter and it would. The sidekick is one thing but what you present yourself as is another.
"You can't fool all of the people all of the time....." it will show you are fraud if you lie, eventually.

Persoanlly, I'm tired of agrueing with what amount to 14 year old pee-poo-babies parroting the bias of their teachers.

Plus the question was "Why do the people with no profile information come across as big know-it-alls?"

Chang Style Novice
07-10-2004, 11:19 AM
All we really know each other by here is our words*, no matter whether they are in our profiles or our posts. As such, our words must stand on their own merit, no metter whether they are in our profiles or our posts. Therefore, I don't give a rat's ass what anyone has in their profile, I judge them by their posts. Although I do sometimes check profiles just for grins.

* The obvious exceptions are those of us who have met and played in meatspace.

blooming lotus
07-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Therefore, I don't give a rat's ass what anyone has in their profile.....................

and you've never been curious enough to open a profile ????

answer to the original question..............because it's a big conspiricy, every one here is full-o-sh*t and the ONLY exception to that are those who are too good to need to bother............it's not like we're here to share our experience afterall :rolleyes:

Kristoffer
07-10-2004, 03:35 PM
"You can't fool all of the people all of the time....."

..But if you fool the right ones then the rest will fall behind

- dead prez

SPJ
07-10-2004, 05:52 PM
You have to fool yourself first, before you may fool others.

If you fool others, eventually you will fool no others but yourself.

:cool:

You post what you know best. You post nothing you do not know.

Profiles or no profiles.

Peace.

:rolleyes:

blooming lotus
07-10-2004, 05:54 PM
I don't like that at all.strip them of their confidence if you must.......I'd rather just let them know their ideal self is absolutely acheivable and who they really are for every minute they beklieve it and some that they don't...........works for my students anyway

blooming lotus
07-10-2004, 05:56 PM
for those on lookout for the troll, excuse my spelling / grammar whatever okay.have been doing > 1 am private tutoring, meetings, lectures and trying to fit in a full - scale recovery..............tired as a mofo.......but on we go.....................

SPJ
07-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Agreed.

Students should be encouraged to say what they think, right or wrong.

I said millions things wrong before I can say it right.

What is Tai Ji?

Yin and Yang.

A constant moving and interacting dynamic of opposing factors.

What is Tai Ji Quan?

You yield, you join and you direct.

You shadow your opponent's moves and Jins. Zhan Lien Nein Shuei. (contact, stick and follow).

My teacher said good. But I want you to say is it is a ball. think about it.

I then said many and many things just not saying it is ball. When I ran out of stuff to say, then I realized that it is a ball.

So I said it is a ball with full understanding why I said it.

blooming lotus
07-10-2004, 06:18 PM
little complicated but nice metaphor.Ie bucket..has stuff in it, is this shape, has a handle, it's red............oh.it's a bucket ;)

got it:cool: