PDA

View Full Version : Genuine WC question from a WT student

AdrianUK
07-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi All,

Last night I tried a local WC class and it was a beginners class. We were doing a changing guard drill, you advance your lead hand forward to contact then switch hands under pressure, fair enough. However I was told to keep my lead hand vertical to maintain strong structure, the example given being if someone tried to punch through the lead hand the structure would triangle off the blow. Ok thats fair enough but I wondered how it obeyed the principle of simultaneous attack and defense when the hand was locked in position, should the sife have mentioned that the other hand would attack or have I missed something ? Also when doing lok sau the bong arm had the elbow well above the shoulder, is that standard as well ? The structure felt very weak not to mention uncomfortable, final thing I wondered on was having a bong sau explained as being a shape thrown in defence when you are not sure of the attack, not from receiving pressure. Are these standard WC methods or something to give beginners something to work from that is changed later ? I did not ask the sifu at the time as I thought it would be kind of disrespectfull (he knew I come from WT) but I couldn't quite figure the logic behind it

Respect

Adrian