PDA

View Full Version : Bilateral Transference

Merryprankster
07-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Ford or some other neuromuscular junkie*,

I'm limited to doing right side upperbody work right now because of my shoulder.

Could you please delve a bit into bilateral transference? I believe there is a 60% strength transfer due to neuromuscular pathway transference and a reduction in the time it takes for the other side of your body to "catch up," but I'd like to have it explained further, if possible - for instance, are there structural changes ala hypertrophy, mitochodria increase or mitochondria efficiency increase?

Thanks!

James

*If you don't know about this subject and just want to start an argument about the best way to train, please stay off this thread. Thank you.

Ford Prefect
07-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Hey Merry,

Bilateral transference isn't exactly a thing you can put a set number on because there are so many factors that come into play. This is doubly so if you are injured because the structural changes and nervous system inhibitions developed through prolonged inactivity. By only exercising the one side of your body while the other remains inactive, there will definately be structural changes and muscle imbalances. Of course, there would be even if you didn't exercise because of atrophy, so you might as well be doing something. ;)

You are right that there is a strength transfer due to neuromotor pathway transference and also that it will take less time for your other side to catch up. Are you at least able to move your other arm? I remember from the other thread you said that you're doing PT. If you are actively PT'ing and maintaining a healthy range of motion in the effected joints, then I'd imagine a quick "catching up." If however, you have to recover your ROM before you can start lifting, then it would be a good deal longer. Not only does your nervous system become inhibitted when it comes to moving the joint through a large range of motion when injured, but it also becomes inhibitted in in contracting the surrounding musculature.

Structural changes are really dependent on your training protocol. It is possible to target neuromotor efficiency and limit structural changes to nearly 0. You have to lift heavy(1-5 rep range), take long rests between sets (3:00-5:00 minutes), and do a low volume of work (3 sets/exercise; 2-4 exercises/session) Lifting heavy will cause minor changes in muscle structure (myofabrils with thicken) and ligament strength. These changes will be kept to a minimum if you follow the above scheme.

Personally I'd do 3x3's one week and then switch to 1-3 protocol the next week. (1 rep - 3 reps - 1 rep - 3 reps) Vary the intensity on the 3x3's, so don't use your 3RM every time. That week will be used for deloading. The 1-3 week is where you should push yourself. By doing a set of 3 after your 1rm, your nervous system is primed for power and you should be able to burn a new 3 rm every week for at least 4 weeks. It's due to a phenomena called post-tetanic facillitation.

Dunno. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

IronFist
07-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Whoa, Ford just 0wned this thread. :D

Vash
07-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Indeed. Great stuff, FP.

Merryprankster
07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks!

abobo
07-11-2004, 08:15 PM
I seem to remember an article, maybe on T-mag or Dragondoor, that addressed specific training protocols that would strengthen both sides with a unilateral movement.

abobo
07-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Success! It was from this (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=B84FCEDEC67E4608DC537651 96640629.ba12?article=273acc2) Christian Thibaudeau article:

Further Benefits of Eccentric Training:

Greater cross-education will occur (Hortobagyi and Lambert 1997 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9000162)). Cross-education refers to transfer of strength gains from one limb/side to the other. In practical terms it means that if you were to work only your right arm using eccentric actions, some of the strength gains would transfer to the left arm. This can be very beneficial to prevent excessive strength loss if one limb is immobilized.

Serpent
07-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Whoa, Ford just 0wned this thread. :D
Yeah, but he spelled myofibrils wrong.

:mad:

:eek:

:)